Tannoy FX5.1: any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gorshin, May 26, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm going to get a home cinema system: probably the Jamo dv50. I've been looking around for compact speaker systems and this (Tannoy FX5.1) looks like a bargain. The original rrp of £400 looks promising enough. Anyone own these or demoed them? They look nice and a pair of stands only cost £30!

Any thoughts appreciated. :smashin:

2. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gorsh

I have the Tannoys set up in a 6.1 system having bought an extra speaker and I'm very happy with them. They still rate an 80% in this month's What home cinema mag, tested in Dec 2003 at a price tag of £350, so at the prices they are available now, I think they're a steal. The mag rated them as follows (out of a possible 10 stars): -
    Style 8
    Ease of use 5 (I think that's partly because you have to cut the wire yourself - they come with one run of 25m for you to cut to your own lengths)
    Features 7
    Sound 9 - IMHO this is what counts!
    and Value 10 (at the £350 price tag)

Best get a listen to them if you can

Hope this helps

Phil

3. victorW

victorW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got some from Richer Sounds for £180 !!

Bargain for that much I think.
    The centre is a biut weak but when in full surround mode with s decent disc they really are nice.

I have some nice stands for the front pair from Ikea at just £20 and they look real nice and the rears are mounted on the wall as is the center
    be careful witht eh wire cutting in case you run out like I did!
    25m is not much in a "normal" sized lounge

They come with wall brackets as well even though the bloke at Richer Sounds said they didn't

4. mcvittym

mcvittym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a marantz 4400 receiver and a Tannoy Fx 6.1 set up. DVD's sound great and stereo music is not bad, either. I found when watching the Santana Soul Sacrifice track on my DVD of 'Woodstock ' that the left stereo speaker started to rattle. I checked the speaker set up and found that it had gone back to the default 'large speaker' setting so I changed it back to 'small speaker' but the speaker still rattled a bit when the bass was playing loud. I checked the amp manual and discovered that with the 4400 you can't change the cross-over frequency - it's set at 100Hz. This is the only DVD or CD I've had any problem with.

5. mph8873

mph8873
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I tried the FX5.1 a while ago... Richers let me take them home and I ran them through my amp.... they were pretty good (for the money) for home cinema but have to say they were terrible for cd playback - they just didn't have the depth of sound.

Depends what you want to use them for - for budget home cinema, I would say they are fine. In case you are interested, I went way over my intended budget and plumped for Kef 2005.2 in 6.1 and never regretted it. :thumbsup: