1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy FX 5.1 upgrade...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by reklor, Nov 24, 2004.

1. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Hello im a new poster!!!......great forum.

Down to busines. I have the Tannoy FX 5.1 setup at the moment and im looking for an upgrade. Im happy with them but I think im missing out on the best sound I can get from a small 5.1 setup. Im using a SONY STRDB790 Reciever, a SONY 930 DVD Player, and a PHILIPS 32PF9986 LCD.

Im thinking of the MISSION M30 but will this give me the upgrade i desire?
    The setup must be smallish cos the room isnt THAT big and the missus doesnt want big ugly boxes lying about. My budget is around the £400 mark and any help would be appreciated.

Much obliged in (gameboy) advance. :D

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    What do you think is missing from the FX set you've got now ?

3. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    ok bud I will come clean........my dog has had one of the rears over so many times its got loads of scratches and looks a complete mess!......a Boxer and home cinema doesnt mix unfortunately (I will be wall mounting the new kit!)

Buuuuuuut I still think the FX5.1s although good, lack a bit of top end on action films and the centre seems a little 'lost' with complex dialogue.

Any recommendations boys and girls?

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the mordaunt-short premiere which was excellent for the money, and that was just the 308 sub. If you choose the Avant Premiere Plus system with the 309 sub, I think you'll be very impressed. Very good top end too.

If you look around online, you'll pick these up for around £400, maybe less.

www.mordaunt-short.co.uk

5. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Thanks for your advice buddy. Ok so why did you get rid of em?.......ive seen the Premier pack and they look quite similar to the M30 in size. I might look at getting the Premier PLUS pack, do you know of any websites to look at for good prices?

Does anyone have any opinions on Mission Cinema M30 Vs MS Premier Plus?????? :lease:

6. reklor

reklor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    right after a bit of digging ive come up with this. What do you experts think of this nice little mission package (I cant get KEF off the net so mission are a nice cheap bit o kit!). I might go for M33 floorstanders (fronts), M30 (rears), Mc1 (centre), and Ms6 (sub). Will cost me about £420 for the lot. Is that a bargain or should I go for something completely different???.......im a bit desperate, I want to buy it next week but I havent got the time to audition anything so your opinions REALLY count. Thank you :)

7. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to make your mind up on what size system you want. The MS packages are excellent for a satellite system, but I upgraded to the full size avant setup. (906, 905, 902). The reason... cos theyre better in every way.

If you have decided size doesnt matter, then this totally increases your options.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Ignore the mc1 centre unless space is an option. Get the m3c2
    http://www.qed-uk.com/q/index.html?i=&vp=6&bg=216&bp=m3c2b&bi=0&ird=1404
    Vastly superior.

I would also recommend not buying the sub and saving a few more pounds to buy a decent entry level sub like the MS 309 or the BK XLS200 www.bkelec.co.uk or the vita 100 also from bkelec. Mission make good speakers but lously (cheap) subs. The new wharfdale sub is the reviewers new baby
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3442&aid=53502&oid=4137

If you can find it cheaper or can stretch this new diamond 9 series setup is a cracker
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3604&aid=53502&oid=4209

Update

There is a Beech M7c2 for sale in the forum classifieds for £60 +p&p by Tom Nieto :thumbsup:

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Missions with the Sony 790 may not be a good idea, you will get a VERY bright sound, a warmer speaker package from Wharfdale or Mordaunt Short would be a better bet in my opinion