1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy Fusion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davepuma, Jun 24, 2004.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    HI,

A mate of mine has finally gone for a proper AV system and relied on my advice for buying it. I got him a Pioneer VSX-D812S amp/rcvr, Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD recorder and a set of Tannoy Fusion AV3 speakers (Fusion 3, Fusion 1 and Fusion C). I couldn't find any reviews of the Tannoys but as I have Tannoys myself (Mercury/Mercury MX series) I thought they would be good value for money and give him a good sound. They haven't arrived yet from HiFibitz but am a little concerned that I haven't seen any reviews for them considering they have obviously been out for a while. Does anyone know if they're any good. I'll hide the reviews from him if they're not! I still have to convince him to go for a dedicated CD-player and am edging towards the new budget Cambridge Audio player (not out yet, I think)

Cheers,

Dave

:lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a dangerous game recommending AV kit to friends that neither of you have heard as it could turn out to be a real lemon. I have no idea what these speakers sound like and whilst I used to have Tannoy M3 speakers I wouldn't presume that these are similar or as good. They may, however be much better.

I am intrigued as to why you would also recommend a dedicated CD player to slot into a budget AV system. Cheaper AV amps aren't reknowned for their ability in stereo and you may find that a dedicated CD player isn't that much better than using a DVD player as the amp itself may be the limiting factor.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    As for the dedicated CD player, we experimented a few weeks back. We played CD's through my Toshiba SD500e DVD player, then through my Arcam Alpha 7 CD player and guess which won sounded better? Better was an understatement! When his Fusions' arrive I will take my Arcam over to see if it has the same effect.

4. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a pair of Tannoy Fusion 2s for a couple of months now and I reckon they sound excellent. Give them a decent running in and they seem to sound better each time you listen to them. I'm getting the Fusion C on Saturday then replacing my old Yamaha surrounds with Fusion 1s at some later date so let me know what your friend thinks of them. As for the Fusions not being as good as the M series I would think that that definitely wouldn't be the case because the Fusions are the replacement for the Mercury MX-Ms which were the replacement for the Mercury MXs which were a replacement for the Mercury Ms!