1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy EFX5.1, Canton CD1 or SONY SAVS300H

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by -=Stu=-, May 16, 2005.

1. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm trying to decide between the Tannoy EFX5.1, Canton CD1 or Sony SAVS300H speakers and I'm struggling to make a decision :) I've done a few searches and from reading comments have ruled out Mission fs1AV. The speakers are to be used with a Denon 2805 Amp for general use i.e. movies, music, tv, xbox etc. The spec of the Cantons seem a little weak in comparison to the others and price wise they are all similar. I've had a quick read of some magazine reviews and the Tannoy EFX5.1 seems to get a good review for the cost. I'm not that keen on considering the Sony speakers but cost and specs for their 7.1 doesn't seem to bad, but I suspect in terms of final result they wouldn't be as good as the Tannoys. The Tannoys are only ~£260 including two stands whereas the Sonys are in the mid £300s.

Any comments would be appreciated. If I'm overlooking any other 5.1 or 6.1 alternatives around £350 please let me know :)

Thanks,
    Stuart.

2. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ruled out the Sonys, but still can't decide betwee the Tannoy EFX and the Canton CD1 (with either package I will probably get at least 1 more speaker to go up to 6.1). I need to order next week so any advice before I flip a coin would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Stuart.

3. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EFX I bought from www.hiwayhifi.com, was not the EFX5.1, but a EFX6.1 . Strangly enough, Tannoy has not updated their webpage about this :boring: . I think I payed under 190£ for the set. They don't seem to have them on their webpage, so you will have to ask for them.

4. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MarekFIN. Thanks for the information, I think I'm leaning more towards the Tannoys at the moment. So the EFX is actually a 6.1 system ? I've looked at a lot of sites that sell them and none have mentioned them as a 6.1 system, not that I'm complaining if it is :)

What's your opinion on the speakers e.g. particularly good with movies or music ?

Thanks again,
    Stuart.

5. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the price i got them for, very good. Would recommend them for a small room (under 15 m^2). Definitely better than sets that cost 100£ and you get a DVD-player and receiver + 5.1. Forget those.
    If you have a big room, start with a 2.1 system, and as you get more money, upgrade.

6. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. That's great, thanks again. The room is about 18m^2 and I'm hoping to use them for everyday use with a Yamaha V2500 and a Samsung DVD-HD945.

7. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A yahama 2500 is overkill for these, IMO. I'm running Tannoy Eyrises off a 750, and while I'd agree that the 750 maybe ain't the best tool for the job, I think a price imbalance in favour of the speakers is a far better investment in sound terms.

If you haven't already got the 2500, I'd think get the 750 with the EFX tannoys (you should probably try to get a seventh, too) and save yourself a few hundred quid. If you have the 2500 already, I'd seriously consider spending a lot more on speakers to get anything more out of your system than you would from the 750. This is all my opinion, of course.

8. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I haven't ordered the 2500 yet, was planning on doing it later today with the speakers. I've been undecided on what to do for a few weeks but I was hoping to purchase the 2500 and the efx speakers and after 12 months replace the speakers with something better. The other reason for needing something like the 2500 was for enough component and digital audio connections. The 4600 was even more appealing but is out of budget hehe.

I will look again at the amp to see if one of the other models still accomodates the connections I need.

Thanks for the advice.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just to point out that the SRP (and what dealers around the country are selling for) of the CD1 is £480, buy them for £240 add a CD50 centre for 6.1 (use CD20 as rear centre) and i think they will sound much better than the tannoys. I know getting a demo of both is nigh on impossible but I do hold the cantons in very high regard

10. -=Stu=-

-=Stu=-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horny. The decision between the Tannoy and the Cantons is my main problem. Based on pricing and the members offer the Cantons should be better. So far I could order the Tannoy EFX for £260 including 2 speaker stands. I would then add an extra 1 or 2 speakers to go to 6.1 or 7.1 (I'm still slightly confused whether it is a 5.1 or 6.1 system as standard).

As you say with the Cantons they should be nearly £500 but can be ordered on here for £240 plus £88 for the CD50 & £57 for one pair of stands, £385 in total.

Ignoring the price between the two speaker sets I haven't managed to find many reviews online for the Cantons but the quite a number for the Tannoy EFX and they were also features in a couple of last months audio magazines (reviews were very good). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anywhere locally that stocks either so it would be online only by the looks of it.

Hemm, might have to ponder over it some more :D

Stuart.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Stu the cantons have been reviewd I 'll see if i can find a listing online for you.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4780
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4286
    Add CD50 or CD100 later for Front L+R duties and that gap is gone and integration seemless...........

13. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said before. A good 2.1 system is better than a bad 5.1, 6.1, 7.1. Not that any of your options are bad, you could do much better.

14. DrMekon

DrMekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    -=Stu=- What did you go for....???

Ive only got about £250 to spend, and was myselft, attracted towards the Tannoys.... I would be very interested to know the outcome of this post!!!

Cheers

15. shiresy

shiresy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello stu

i've just been through this myself -lots of head scratching and the more info you read the more confusing it gets!!!

i wanted the M-S genies but couldn't justify £650 just on speakers (i am starting from scratch). When you've set your heart on something, anything less is a real compromise and nothing "ticks all the boxes".

i considered the tannoys, as well as mission m30s, infinity tss-750 and kef 1005. i finally ordered the cantons simply because they are good quality for little cash so i can upgrade later (have you seen the tannoys in the flesh? they have them in richers).

i've ordered a 7 channel amp (denon 1905 £240) so the plan is to buy some cheap hifi speakers (mission m70s from richers £50 the pair) to use as L & R with the cantons as satellites.

hope this is of some help.

16. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi shiresy

be careful, Those missions will not sound anything like the cantons and will make the front 3 very strange. They have different drivers, crossovers & cabinets.

if you want a 7.1 system then you would be better of taking another pair of CD10's (£94)
    or
    a CD50 (£114) to make a 6.1 system
    or
    2 CD50's (2 x £114) for a 7.1
    or
    1pair CD100's (£280) for a 7.1

a good in-balance 5.1 system is better than an out of balance 7.1 system

regards

JJ

17. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    why didn't anyone consider the Mordaunt Short Avant Premieres? These can be found for £300ish and imo sound really quite a bit more articulate than the Tannoys.

18. Sine2

Sine2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a great thread. Was about to part with £320 for the Sony, and I'm now convinced to switch to the Canton's...

Can anyone post a link to the Cantons for £240? I've done some searches but can't find them anyway...

Much appreciated -

Thanks,

Jason.

19. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here.