tannoy 5.1 hts 101 vs WHARFEDALE DX1 HCP

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Shiver2K8, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Shiver2K8

Shiver2K8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Just wanted this forums opinion or fact :smashing: on which speakers are the best? tannoy 5.1 hts 101 vs WHARFEDALE DX1 HCP.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Shiver2K8

Shiver2K8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone?

3. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    their a good crew there, jamie who works there is a good friend and a diamond , always speak to him when i need something last time was bluray players one per customer only but he let me have 2.

4. christi

christi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both the Wharfedale DX-1HCP and Tannoy HTS 101 packages sound great :clap:when playing films, but I was looking for a system that would sound good with my music CD's and radiotoo. Many experts were quick to recommend Tannoy over Wharfedale :( but none hadactually heard and compared these particular systems. The exception was a manat Creative-audio.co.uk who suggested teaming the Wharfedale with a Yamahareceiver. Yamaha receivers sound best with music, in his opinion even though an Onkyo might have more features for the price.

For days Iwas undecided. The Tannoy HTS 101 has a five star reviews from whathifi.com andtrustedreviews.com. The Wharfedale DX 1HCP also scores a five star review withwhathifi.com. The latter sent its reporters to the Wharfedale factory in Shenzhen, China and they wrote an exciting article describing how all the production (including of Mission speakers) is integrated under one roof. The huge factory make not only the wire, but the machine to make the wire, :clap:and it's all now run by Michael and Bernard Chang of IAG, with British technical experts like Peter Comeau advising on the technical side. I wanted tobe convinced that the Wharfedale package was the better buy but how do I know thatcreative.audio were not just pushing it because they were low on Tannoys, orwhathifi gave a five star review partly to thank IAG for their hospitality in China?

On paper the Tannoy HTS 101 may look like the better system. The speaker boxes are made of real wood:smashin:, the sensitivity is 87dB all round compared to 84/86dB. There are a lot of people in the industry ready to praise Tannoy and rubbish Wharfedale:devil:!

One thing! The ohms impedence of the Wharfedale DX1 HCP is 4 and not 8 as wrongly stated in the What Hi-Fi magazine listing. On the Richer Sounds website description there is a question mark. The reason is that the impedence is not mentioned on Wharfedale's own website, but only in the instructions and on the speakers themselves. More ohms does not necessarily mean better! However the higher the impedence the easier it is for the amplifier. With lower impedence it is important to have good quality speaker connection wires. Moreover if you have a poweful amplifier, do not turn the speakers up so loud that they distort or you risk blowing them. This is unlikely! I don't pretend to understand the technical side of ohms and frequencies. Suffice to say that when I asked our local technical man Simon at Protech in West Bay which was better, 4 ohms or 8, he was unequivical that 4 is better.

Finally, in desperation after days scouring the internet for enlightenment I called my local Richer Sounds branch in Exeter. To my joy, store assistants Tosh told me that staff had unpacked and set upthe Wharfedale DX 1HCP system a few days earlier and were amazed and pleasantly suprised by how good itsounded. At my request they agreed to set up a Yamaha RX V 671 AV Receiver, and letmy wife and I listen to both sets of speakers. It was a quiet weekday morningand Tosh was very patient, swapping the speakers over 3 or 4 times as wesampled CD's and DVD's that we had brought with us. How delighted I was to geta chance to hear both systems with my own ears! Hooooorahhhh for Richer Sounds!

Finally we plumped for the Wharfedale DX 1HCP set. They sounded more natural to our ears.The Yamaha RX 671 is a 7.1 system. The speakers are not biwireable so a YamahaRX 471 or 571 would also be perfectly adequate. The beauty of a 7.1 systemhowever is that you can add 2 meatier speakers to the front (to enjoy stereomusic) and have 4 speakers at the rear. We installed a set of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers at the front, taking the advice of our localinstallation engineer at Protech in Bridport and plumping for the samemanufacturer for the best sound match between components.

RicherSounds beat the cheapest internet deals:clap:. The Wharfedale DX 1 HCP speakerpackage cost £350, the pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 cost £150 and theamplifier £325.

The new system sounds great, with wonderfully smooth integration from the subwoofer. My wife and I are delighted with our choice.:)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Shark Man

Shark Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know this is a old thread, but I have since purchased both a HTS101 system and Wharfedale DX1, so had the chance tommake a like for like comparison.

I originally had the HTS101s, but needed another A/V setup for our family holiday home, and figured trying out the DX1s as an alternative as they were on a good deal with Superfi (£500 including a Sony STRDH820 7.1 amp ).

The idea being I try both speaker sets with the two amps (sony STRDH820 and Onkyo tx-sr608 ) and select which worked best for home.

My original write up of the HTS101 plus SR608 is here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...noy-hts-101-anybody-auditioned-these-yet.html

First things first, all speaker and amps work a treat. All are worth the money, so really the rest is personal preference.

The DX1s I found for me to have a warmer sound, and slightly better at producing low vocal tones. The centre speaker I feel works better in this application - people's voices sounded more natural to me than the HT101's centre speaker, which was a bugbear of mine (noted in the link above).

I also feel the DX1s work better for music. Whereas the HT101 works better for surround effects. The HTS101s give crisper and cleaner treble tones, whilst the DXs are not quite so bright sounding, I previously said that I found the HTS101s sounded a bit too bright for my liking. Hence my siding for the DX1s.

The DX1 sub is a different animal to the HTS101 sub...a front firing affair with two rear firing tuned ports. The thing with rear firing ports is the bass produced relies on room loction for the boundry loading effect, and this is in relation to how close the ports are to a wall. The HTS101 sub has a downwards firing driver and port, which probably is affected more by the type of floor surface (carpet in my case).

I'd say the DX1 sub is more powerful, and needs the sub levels to be reigned in more if its in a corner of a room than the HTS101 sub in the same location. I'd say the HTS101 sub does give touch more deper bass, but it is a larger enclosure, so thats to be expected (the old rule of the bigger the enclosure the lower the bass does apply).

Asthetics: DX1 rounded smooth corners with curved enlosures. HTS101 boxy with sharp corners. Both piano black laminate. The speaker bezels on the DX1s are brushed steel effect, the HTS101s are plastic. For me the DX1s win it here...be it grilles on or off. The shape and smooth edges are just nicer, especially the subwoofer. Also handy is the shape of the DX1 centre is as such that if its placed on a flat surface using the supplied rubber feet, its vertical angle can be adjusted to suit the listener.

Materials; pretty similar MDF affair. Rapping my knuckles on the encloures to hear what the enclosure resonates at a give pretty similar and solid sounding thud, HTS101 sub is a little more hollow sounding, so maybe made of slightly thinner material or have less internal bracing.

A word of warning that both HTS101 and DX1s don't accept full length banana plugs. Only the short ones fit (if you canget them). Nothing new with speakers and plugs, so spade or wired connections is the only way for a proper secure connection.

Packaging: I know this is getting silly, but Wharfedale packaged their speakers in cotton bags and supply some white cotton gloves to stop the fingerprints when handling. A nice touch. The Tannoys HTS101 come with wall brackets. DX1s don't, although there is a threaded screw hole for wall/stand mounting, the centre speaker just has keyhole slots though.

Whilst I'm talking of packaging, I have to express some annoyance with Tannoy's Union Jack stickers saying "designed and engineered in the UK" with it saying "made in China" in small lettering underneath, it didn't win any favours from me. I know its silly but if you are going to put a Union Jack on something, it should be on something that is designed AND built in the UK. The Swiss have rules on what denotes a Swiss made watch...I think the UK needs this with Speakers. Anyway the Wharfedales are made in China too, but at least they didn't have the barefaced cheek to put a UK flag on the sticker.

As for the amps; the DX1s and HTS101s work quite happily with the Onkyo TX-SR609. The DX1s also work fine on the Sony STRDH820, but the Tannoys seemed a bit cold and needed a higher volume and bass settings to get a nice sound out of them. So I'd say the Tannoys may be a little more fussy on the amp its paired with.

So to sum up both good, but I think the Wharfedale DX1s work better for me, and the HTS101s will be packed up and shipped to the family holiday home :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. copicuk

copicuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am also choosing between these models. And all of sudden the vastly reduced in price MAV 5.1 is throwing in some heavier weight competition.

So been doing my research, and narrowed my choices right down. Would be great if yall could take another look.

Here is the AV receiver I plan to get.
    Sony STR-DN840 AVReceiver
    I could be swayed to get another brand (eg yamaha-rx-v375 or the 671) if it is considered a better match for the speakers.
    I do like the wifi bells n whistles u get with the sony but Im slightly concerned it may be at the cost of sound quality.

Finally, as others in this thread I had found 2, but now its 3, different speaker packages Im debating between:

Tannoy HTS101 5.1 Speakers

wharfedale-dx-1hcp
    Monitor-Audio-Vector-5-1

The last 2 have the small advantage of coming in white too, which suits my home better. Also bare in mind that the MAVs were reviewed in the £700-£1000 bracket and since then the price has dropped to £300! (end of stock/line sale). Im not sure if that means an 8/10 in that price bracket is better than the Tannoys 9/10 in the sub £500 bracket but im guessing it does. What do you think?

Richer sounds dont sell the MAVs so I wouldnt be able to test them side by side.
    MAVS although available in white, may not be on sale in white. The Front and centre speakers are also a fair bit bigger than the Tannoys, although the sub is smaller. TBH discreet fronts are more important to me than a discreet sub, because the sub can go anywhere.

Ah decisions decisions.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks

7. copicuk

copicuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah hang on, just found a few threads complaining about Vector subs constant hum
    That would drive me nuts, especially as sub sits at my feet by the sofa.
    N.B salesperson confirmed hum issue. Also sale is only for black model.
    Apparently the satellites are excellent, so almost worth getting them with an upgraded sub.

8. DiNZi

DiNZi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm also considering buying either the Tannoy HTS or Wharfedale DX1, I will be pairing them with a Yamaha AVR maybe the 475 or 675. I will be using them for 60 or 70% movies, strictly bluray and 40 or 30% music I like to listen to R&B/Rap/Hip Hop and Bhangra coz I come from Asian background these have a lot of Bass so I hope you can advise on which one would suit me best. Thanks.

9. Shark Man

Shark Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Update: After a little over three years, the Wharfedale DX1 subwoofer has failed. Its totally dead, I'm guessing its a internal power supply issue - fuses and lead all checked.

I can't remember the warranty length Wharfedale supply on these as I need to dig out the instructions. So I'm yet see what is in involved in getting it repaired or replaced.