1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tangent speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stephen19, May 13, 2005.

1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anyone heard of these (pun unintended)? I have seen them in currys (the only shop around here, sorry). Are they any good for the price?

Thanks.

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Stephen,

The Tangent speakers are made (or at least a subsiduary of ELTAX).
    A mate of mine recently bought a pair of the small bookshelf ones (HTD50) for use as surrounds in his bedroom.All I can say about them is... :thumbsup: ...
    For the price, IMO they are a great buy.They won't worry the usual (read more expensive) makes/models of loudspeaker manufacturers for out and out performance, but as a budget brand I personally think they are up to the job.
    There is enough bass (for use as surround's at least when set to small on the AV amp), the treble has good balance and is not tiring to listen to.
    I just wish my mate had the room to use the floorstander model (AVANTGARD), cos if the HTD50 is any thing to go by then I can only think they would another good budget buy.
    OH,BTW,the build quality is also very good given the low price.Also both models have decent binding post connections (the AVANTGARD's have BI-WIRE connections fitted).

If you do decide to go out and buy some (especially the floorstanders), keep us posted, if they are as good as I think they will be then I may try and persuade my mate to make some room for some in his bedroom... :D ...

All the best,

Graham.

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Many years ago Tangent were a very highly regarded speaker manufacturer. Their RS4 model was superb in its day. I had a pair of their TM1s in the early '80s. Looks like someone has bought up the name and used it to market cheap imports - something all too common these days.

4. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks,

I was looking at the floorstanders as it happens. Does your friend use his for home cinema or for music and hifi? I have a Yamaha surround set which is ok for home cinema use but not quite up to the job for music. Do you think these would help?

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi again,

Well he did wire them up to his NAD amp and NAD cd player (sorry can't remember the model No's, but they aint cheapie ones), and he was suprised at the sound they made.
    At the moment he's using them as surround's in a home cinema set-up and they are performing very well, so I can only assume that the floorstanders would be more or less the same (except for the increased bass that would be available obviously).
    With regards to your question about the yamaha set-up.... having not heard them (the yamaha's), and if they are the small sub/sat type, then I would be tempted to say yeah, the tangents would make a difference for music listening. After all, IMO almost any full size speaker should/would/could out perform a small satellite speaker due to the physical size difference between the two (you can't expect a 4"x3"x4" plastic box with a 3" driver in it to handle the same frequencies as a full sized floorstander with two 6.5" drivers in can you).
    At the end of the day all I can suggest is you try and gain any info on them that you can and then decide if they would suit you. My mate is more than happy with the small one's, and I should imagine that you would find a significant difference over the yamaha's you have now.

All the best,

Graham.

6. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. The Yamahas are satellites, and exactly like you say, the tiny speakers do not do justice to bass lines in music; hence my search for a decent but budget (if such a combination exists) set of main speakers for hifi use. Not knowing much about speakers I was suprised to find you could buy some that cost almost as much as the equipment they are connected to! I wasn't sure if the 6.5 inch speakers would be large enough, but then I suppose it is not just the size of the driver but the design of the enclosure that produces the sound. I will let you know once I get them. Thanks again.