Tangent DVR-500 DVD Player/Recorder - Any good ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RecordablDVDfan, Jul 17, 2004.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I see Maplin and Hughes direct have this for £199.99. Seems very well specified, even has a firewire input! and looks good too. Anyone brought one ?

Specs at http://***********/6qnnz

2. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't touch the tangent dvd recorders! hughes and miller bros have told me that they have had alot of these machines back,because the user cannot program/setup the machine due to difficulties understanding the instructions with the recorder.don't get me wrong but the machine has a very classy look.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I would'nt say that was a reason to return them!!!

4. andy1234

andy1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go into miller bros and enquire about this recorder.i did and thats what the salesman told me.

5. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Possibly made by Sampo, uses LSI Logic chipset - details at Eltax-Tangent website here including downloadable PDF manual.

Previous Sampo-made recorders used Cirrus Logics chipsets (not highly rated - see Mustek, Cyberhome, Grundig and heck even Sampo recorders), but the model it appears to be based on, the Sampo DVR-88ATN, has gone on sale in Taiwan for the cheapest price ever - about NT $10,000 which is around half the price of other models they sell.

If not made by Sampo, may be made by a company called Contel who myseriously have released a model with identical casing to the Sampo DVR-88ATN

7. shortcircuit196

shortcircuit196

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got this machine from maplin first prob i had was no sound on tv tuner looked on site and found that it has to b set to pal i for uk, book not say bout that, there also a download of firmware to set that as default but i tryed that and it had no sound again on tv tuner even when set to pal i , so dont install the firmware just do it manual, was good machine played most types dvd's with no probs and recorded good even on low settings. few weeks later watched some dvd's and on some i could not hear all the sounds would get background noise and no talking and the dvd's r ok on me old machine. i also notice that on the menu there is not a setting for the stereo sound or if u got the surround speakers and in manual it shows it, and i think thats why its playing up on movies i buy cause its not set to just stereo as i am just using the scart. so not a good machine for playing films brought wot are in dolby and u dont have the surround speakers as u end up not hearing them speak or some sounds missing. so now im going to send this player back.

8. shortcircuit196

shortcircuit196

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was a good machine but had to send it back to maplin cause the software has missing parts in menu for 2ch and 5.1 sound. so now i getting refund.

shame it would b a good machine apart from software prob there spose b bringing out a firmware download for the machine but when dont know.