Tamron USD / not..?

SilverGamer

Morning all, I'm just in the process (as you may have gathered from other threads) of purchasing my camera, and there's an option to package a 55-200 lens with it for approx £100. I've been looking over the weekend and there seems little point (no matter how cheap) to buying the Sony telephoto lens if I'm then going to go out and get one that replaces it not too long after. So I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

Firstly would the Tamron 70-300mm lens be a far superior one to the packaged Sony ? I'm thinking here purely of picture quality / useability, not of how heavy it is / how well it appears to be made.

Next I've been through their website (and a few others) reading comments and the tech spec's / differences. Please bear in mind that I'm a relative newcommer to much of the specific lens jargon. So in the real world.... What really makes the USD version worth £350 against the normal DI version for £170. I know that it's quieter, and faster, but could anyone that's owned one / tried one please comment on how much a difference it would make to useability / picture quality. It's just very hard to quantify the real differences from the sales garb on websites.

Thanks everyone.

eduk

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't be spending £350 on a lens as a beginner. At most I'd be getting the additional 55-200mm for £100.

twist

Distinguished Member
I think Eddie has a good point, but if you want my opinion on which to get, Id definitely get the USD.

SilverGamer

I think Eddie has a good point, but if you want my opinion on which to get, Id definitely get the USD.

Ed definitely has a good point, however now I'm being seduced by the A65 the 2nd lens option now costs a lot more. Looking on www.procamerashop.co.uk the following prices apply :-

• £650 - Body only.
  • £720 - With the 18-55mm kit lens
  • £875 - Twin Lens pack from Big Norman
Basically the Twin pack seems harder to find and is less good value when looking at the A65 instead of the A35.

Therefore this question becomes all the more important as in the end I'd like to have :-

• A Wide angle lens (happy to cover with a zoom)
  • A telephoto lens (55 / 75 through to 200 / 300)
  • Eventually, A prime lens for indoor / night shots
I don't need all 3 straight away, but it would be good to plan ahead. The first I can cover with the kit lens (bargain), then the 2nd seems a choice between Sony's, Tamron (USD and much cheaper non-USD) / other.

Advice appreciated still. Thanks guys.

eduk

Distinguished Member
Ed definitely has a good point, however now I'm being seduced by the A65 the 2nd lens option now costs a lot more. Looking on www.procamerashop.co.uk the following prices apply :-

• £650 - Body only.
  • £720 - With the 18-55mm kit lens
  • £875 - Twin Lens pack from Big Norman
Basically the Twin pack seems harder to find and is less good value when looking at the A65 instead of the A35.

Therefore this question becomes all the more important as in the end I'd like to have :-

• A Wide angle lens (happy to cover with a zoom)
  • A telephoto lens (55 / 75 through to 200 / 300)
  • Eventually, A prime lens for indoor / night shots
I don't need all 3 straight away, but it would be good to plan ahead. The first I can cover with the kit lens (bargain), then the 2nd seems a choice between Sony's, Tamron (USD and much cheaper non-USD) / other.

Advice appreciated still. Thanks guys.

There isn't a Sony supplied twin lens option for the A65/77 yet as they are new cameras. The A35/A65 kit is the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 SAM and the A77 kit is the 16-50mm f2.8 SSM (expensive).

Whichever body you get, the 18-55mm will do you for flash photography and outside shots in good light. I wouldn't worry about further lenses until you have used the kit lens for weeks, then you'll know what you want from further lenses in terms of focal length and maximum aperture.

At this time you will not know if you actually want to go above 55mm (you may want to go ultra wide instead) or if you want a 35mm or 50mm prime.

Although I have long lenses it is VERY rare I shoot above 50mm.

SilverGamer

I agree Ed that it is less common for me to shoot beyond 55 than it is below it. Although I've not owned a DSLR previously I had a (remember these - lol) "film" based one many years ago (which btw had auto-nothing) and am used to using my trusty TZ-5.

Most of my shots are indoors, landscapes, cars (usually non-moving), people or typical tourist shots. However I'd definitely feel a little naked without the option to zoom in beyond 55mm. My most recent trip was out to Vegas and there were several occasions where a telephoto zoom was a must. This holiday exposed the fact that iPhone 4's are hopeless at night and the TZ-5 had much room for improvement too. :)

An alternative option I've thought of is to buy an FZ-150 to cover zoom / superzoom / etc functions. At £250 (my sister lives in the US) it's way cheaper than a decent telephoto for a DSLR over here. However this does kind of defeat the point of having the A65 :facepalm:

You are thinking very sensibly though and I appreciate the common sense approach. Fair to say that right now my TZ-5 can still be in the bag for when I need to see beyond the kit lens... I am however keen and interested to learn / builld a list of future presents and items of interest.

My Dad and Sister have A100's / 200's too (and love them). So when I see them I will be sure to steal their Sony stock Telephoto's for a quick demo.

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom