Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by seany, Jan 24, 2005.

1. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've really been researching what lens i should buy for my 20D

I've spent hrs on DP Review looking and comparing it to the Canon 17-40L and it has to be said that it's holding it's own. It gets fantastic reviews and many L owners have swapped over to it. I'm surprised to hear about the issues of ending up with a bad copy which is an issue for the canon and the tamron.

The 17-40 is wider i know, i'm just thinking the tamron is the more versatile of the two, and from what i've read many don't believe the price difference is warrented

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  3. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    remind us again what lens you do have already?

nice thing about the tamron is it leads nicely on to the 70-200mm telezooms, so you don't have a massive overlap.

depends what sort of photography you do - I got the Canon 28-135 IS and am loving it - use it as my walkabout lens, have never been tempted to stick on the 18-55 since... point being, if you won't miss the ultra wide bit, then don't bother with the 17-40 L

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank's fellas.

I was checking that site Andrew the other day funny enough, which is making me more and more lean towards the tamron... I do like the idea of a wide lens but it's not too much of an issue at the moment and i like the extra focal length of the tamron

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    TBH I copied it from a previous thread - took me an age to find it though....!!

Still dreaming off the day I can convince er indoors that a DSLR is worth the expense.

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andrew, when my old dear asked me how much a lens was she said "are they about £150" :rolleyes: As we're one of those couples that keep all their money togather, we do consult eachother on things we buy, and though i could push for the 17-40 it would be a little selfish and i'm not sure the extra is warrented from the research i've done.

But the way i am, i just might go and change my mind and go for the canon, which would mean Diane gets something if she wishes for round that price...It's how it works:rolleyes: