1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tame my Yamaha please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chipster, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend speakers to tame my Yamaha DSP A2 amp. Presently using Paradigm monitor 7 L+R Paradigm CC350 centre and Mission 77 bi polar surrounds and a REL storm sub. Although this system sounds great for movies, I would like to take out the 'bite' especially when listening to music. I think the Yamaha is naturally bright along with my current speakers, so I'm looking for a slightly 'smoother' sound.

I'm in the process of buying a projector as well so money is a bit tight. Max budget £650.00 for new fronts and centre.

All suggestions welcome,

Thanks.

Chipster.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what about some b&w 600 series stuff? Have you ever heard any?

ad

3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Buns.

No, but I plan on shortlisting a few and will add them to the list. Was also thinking about the new wharfdale evolutions as I've heard their pretty smooth sounding?.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&W are perfect for bright amps as they have a very un bright sound! demo a pair of 602s3 and maybe with B&W centre may keep yours and go for CDM 1T with some discount;) are your current front floor standers or stand mount?

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure that the 600 series would be suitable if you find your current setup bright (can't hurt to get a demo though). They don't agree with cheap amplification at all and choke up at high levels. The bass/mid-bass starts to sound strained, exacerbating their slightly sparkly top end - it's pretty hard on the ears sometimes. Have a listen to some Kef Q1s with a similar amp. Quad 11Ls are a bit out of your price range but would be worth a listen as well if you're after a "smooth" delivery.

Edit - just noticed that I completely disagree with hornydragon regarding the 600 series. Hmm... :D

The other option is to try a stereo amp for 2 channel duties. Richer Sounds are selling new NAD C350s for £199, which would probably help provide the type of sound you're after (at an absolutely stonking price).

MuFu.