Tallboy advice

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have about £250 to spend on a decent home cinema system next week, the main features I am looking for is Tallboy Speakers, at least a 2.1 system, or 5.1 would be nice, it must have at least 1 optical output, and I really want one with a HDMI connection to the TV of at least 720 resolution, upscale of older movies is also a must, I have these 2 shortlisted:

LG HT752TH £200

Samsung HTX35R £260

Can anyone help push me in which one to buy? they seem pretty similar, the Samsung one however would also match my TV but is £60 more expensive.

Does it have optical socket?

Does it have optical socket?

Hi mate,

Yes it does have one optical socket, I also have the LG ht902tb system and I think that it is a great system too as it caters for all my needs.

I have about £250 to spend on a decent home cinema system next week, the main features I am looking for is Tallboy Speakers, at least a 2.1 system, or 5.1 would be nice, it must have at least 1 optical output, and I really want one with a HDMI connection to the TV of at least 720 resolution, upscale of older movies is also a must, I have these 2 shortlisted:

LG HT752TH £200

Samsung HTX35R £260

Can anyone help push me in which one to buy? they seem pretty similar, the Samsung one however would also match my TV but is £60 more expensive.

Steer clear of the Samsung - Riddled with lip sync problems.

Chilly's 902tb is a what hifi 4 star winner, and is definately a preferable choice to the LG you mention.

HT902TB it is then, does anyone know where are doing the best deal on these? would prefer a store where I can pick it up as opposed to online, but online is ok too.

I see Comet are selling this for £260, however the model number is PB at the end instead of TB, whats the differance?

Ok we are buying this earlier than expected, Tuesday, so any advice appreciated on Price and model differance, thanks in advance.

HT902TB it is then, does anyone know where are doing the best deal on these? would prefer a store where I can pick it up as opposed to online, but online is ok too.

I see Comet are selling this for £260, however the model number is PB at the end instead of TB, whats the differance?

Hi mate,

TB = 4 tallboy speakers (front & rear)

PB = 2 tallboy speakers (front) + 2 small speakers (rear)

As for store and price do a search (Hint - most stores have discount codes/vouchers/coupons when shopping online).

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Any advantage having 4 tallboys, other than looking cool?

When buying a HDMI enabled home cinema system do you get the HDMI cable with it in the box?

Speaking of the LG HT902TB MODEL, is it come with this machine?

Can I also ask, when using a Digital Optical Splitter (to connect 2 optical cables to one home cinema box) am I right in saying you need 3 optical cables? 1 for device 1, 1 for device 2, and a third to connect the splitter to the box?

How much can I expect to pay for a decent Optical Cable, and HDMI cable if I need one, not looking for those mega expensive £80 efforts, but something mid range for both, I already know that optical splitters are about £10

When buying a HDMI enabled home cinema system do you get the HDMI cable with it in the box?

Speaking of the LG HT902TB MODEL, is it come with this machine?

Can I also ask, when using a Digital Optical Splitter (to connect 2 optical cables to one home cinema box) am I right in saying you need 3 optical cables? 1 for device 1, 1 for device 2, and a third to connect the splitter to the box?

How much can I expect to pay for a decent Optical Cable, and HDMI cable if I need one, not looking for those mega expensive £80 efforts, but something mid range for both, I already know that optical splitters are about £10

There was no HDMI cable when I purchased this system, but the cable is cheap to buy see here

The TOSlink cable can also be bought from the same company see here - yes you will need three cables. May I point out that using splitter could cause problems as some devices may output a signal even in standby mode.

If you do have problems with a splitter you could try this it also has the benefit of connecting three devices.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Will

Tallboy advice..

Mind your head if the room has a ceiling fan! :hiya:

Those cables are awfully cheap, great site, are these cables any good though, to say how cheap they are?

Those cables are awfully cheap, great site, are these cables any good though, to say how cheap they are?

Well I have been using them for months and have had no trouble with them.

Sounds good, Ill try getting them from there then, thanksss

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to spend a fortune on digital optical connections like these. A Toslink optical cable for example transmits 1's and 0's - the digital signal simply gets there or it doesn't! No amount of 'gold connectors' 'insulation' (light is not affected by electromagnetic fields) etc,etc. will make any difference whatsoever.
Shame on the companies out there that will try and convince you otherwise in order for you to spend £50 on a cable that will perform no better than a 99p one.

Does the same apply to HDMI, some of those cables cost excess of £70, will a cheaper one for around a tenner be no less quality?

Does the same apply to HDMI, some of those cables cost excess of £70, will a cheaper one for around a tenner be no less quality?

Yes the same applies as long as your cable is 3-5m or less. I bought this sturdily built quality mid-range HDMI cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HD-Cable-HD.../ref=pd_rhf_p_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1200680683&sr=8-1

*EDIT* Just noticed this £12.99 1m version is out of stock. 3m available for £17.99 or try this for £6.99 (plus £2.15 delivery)

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/2m-hdmi-1.3-cable.html

And this optical cable, trust me there is no point atall forking out anymore than this on a digital optical connection. It's sturdly built and 'snaps' into place very well producing excellent results. :smashin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Digi...ef=pd_ecc_rvi_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1200680683&sr=8-1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

As Welsh Whirlwind has stated in an earlier post there is no difference with short cable lengths because the signal is digital ie a series of zeros and ones. The choice of which cable to choose is yours, we can only point out different options for you to look at. So if you want to spend £70 for a cable that's great then you won't mind spending a few extra quid on a cheaper cable and checking out for yourself what Welsh Whirlwind and myself already know.

Will

Those links are awesome thanks, I will go for cheaper option, thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom