Talks Of Dr Who

Garrett

Reaction score
I see that the BBC are still looking to bring back Dr Who, this could be as early as next year, but still have not made there minds up who he will be.

Wasn't Anthony "Giles" Stewart Head in the frame?

I reckon he would be OK and a massive improvement on Sly McCoy and Colin Baker.

Presumably his TARDIS would look like a massive Gold Blend jar...

Originally posted by Steve T
Wasn't Anthony "Giles" Stewart Head in the frame?
Presumably his TARDIS would look like a massive Gold Blend jar...

Naah... t'would be a library with books on the occult :D

Hope they do bring him back . There will always be a place on my tv for the doctor :D

I hope they get some decent Actors this time. :D
I recently watched Tom Baker as the Doctor and coudn't believe how bad his acting was.
Hope they go for quality and not quantity.

I am amazed it did not get the go ahead for the series after the American produced film with Paul McGann.

I really enjoyed the film and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable and that Paul McGann played an excellent Doctor. It had the budget to bring the whole style of the filming and special effects up to date, which could have been a mistake but I think it worked really well.

Apparently, it did not do very well in America so they didn't provide any more funds to carry on the venture into a series. :(

I hope it does come back and it is done correctly.

Hey and your right with the repeats. I used to love Dr. Who as a kid and Tom Baker was the best then. I watch it now and wonder how I ever watched it!!! The acting is terrible, the sets are crap and the enemies/monsters are laughable. Still from a kids perspective I guess it works and I would'nt change the watching Dr. Who in the past for anything. I can still remember avidly turning on the TV around 5.00 on a Saturday and being presented with the end of the Sport's news, listening and watching the vidiprinter display the scores! LOL! Technology, eh!!!

Daz

Originally posted by DazJWood
The acting is terrible, the sets are crap and the enemies/monsters are laughable.
In part, yes, but you must account for the fact that Dr Who's budget has always been a tad minimal and that many of the episodes were now made a long time ago. On one episode even the producer was a tad ashamed of the latex monster, but if the budget isnt there, that will restrict things.

I think Dr Who is still a fantastic programme concept - you can set episodes in anytime and anyplace, and change any of the actors involved whilst still being entirely consistent with the storyline.

Red Dwarf (especially series 7) shows what the BBC can do with Scifi when they need to, and when a decent budget is provided.

I'd aim the series at a slightly more mature market, add a bit of sexual intrigue between the Doctor's companions (dunno about the Doctor, I think it's still a good idea for him to be mostly uninvolved), improve the graphics and junk the Daleks (yes the Daleks were vastly uprated in some later episodes, but I'm still not a fan of them).

Oh yes, and dump the screaming girls. Please no more comedians cast as the Doctor either.

PK

Tom Baker is still one of my heros . I still watch the repeats on ukgold and still enjoy them . I know the sets anr crap the monsters a bit silly and plastic but the storys are still great . The books are quite entertaining too .

i do personaly think that Tom Bakers over acting added to the doctors caracter if anything . He is suposed to be larger than life after all

As Matinee said the best thing about doc who is that you can do a story anwere and any when so unlike a lot of long running shows you never run out of pos storys

I have to agree about the daleks though. The fist ever story about them kind of worked as they were confined to there city. But take them off of a nice shinny surface and they don't quite work as a threat anymore. Never made much sence haw they managed to take over half the univers when all you need to do is throw a sheet over them to defeat em ;)

I thought Sylvester was bad in Dr Who but in the film I thought he was quite good. Some of the stories for him were quite dire as was the music. Bertie Bassett, Ken Dodd my theory is they were trying to kill him off, via the viewing figures.

I thought the Cybermen one of the best villains.

Hated Dr. Who as a kid. It was only the saddo kids who were into it. Even Blakes 7 had a bit more street cred (bit of nastiniess and ye olde BBC style sexual twistiness.. still pants though).

Bring back Buck Rogers in the 25th century. Princess Ardala .....greowrrrr! Had a thing about lipgloss ever since.

Originally posted by DazJWood
I am amazed it did not get the go ahead for the series after the American produced film with Paul McGann.
A station had the option of this new Dr Who, or commission an other series of Sliders, and as we all know they went with Sliders.:(

Originally posted by Mr.D
Bring back Buck Rogers in the 25th century. Princess Ardala .....greowrrrr! Had a thing about lipgloss ever since.
Oh ghod, not Buck Rogers. It was a tad camp and silly I'll admit, but please.. Especially if you remember the bits where they brought in the super intelligent black kid.

In any case it was Commander Deering that did it for me.

PK

Originally posted by Garrett
A station had the option of this new Dr Who, or commission an other series of Sliders, and as we all know they went with Sliders.:(
C'mon, be fair - Sliders wasnt that bad. It has many of the advantages of Dr Who plotwise, apart from the fact it's harder to kill off the main characters.

On a similar note - Quantum Leap - a good series that had a great conclusion.

PK

Originally posted by Matinee

PK

Too skinny... Ardalah was built!

Space chicks man... hubbah hubbah !

remember Budgieman ??

PK

mmmmmmmmmm Commander Deering

Tony Head played the doctor on some audio stories and then rumours started flying around that he was going to play the doctor on TV

How about Ian Richardson (House of Cards, Murder Rooms etc..) as the new Doctor?

I feel the new series needs an lead actor with real gravitas and perhaps shouldn't be aimed solely at children , in the wrong hands we might end up with Ross Kemp (Ultimate Farce)!

Regards,

Bloyd

Harrison Ford and or Woody Allen.

C'mon, be fair - Sliders wasnt that bad. It has many of the advantages of Dr Who plotwise, apart from the fact it's harder to kill off the main characters.

PK
You are putting words in my mouth, I didn’t say it was bad, just they my have been better with Dr Who. Think what they could have done with a big budget. Some of the Sliders stories were better in the latter series than in the earlier days.

I like the idea of Ian Richardson, I hope the make more Murder Rooms though.
I thought Martin Jarvis would have made a good doctor a bit back.

That guy that was in Speciel Branch and is now in Emerdale :confused:

OOOOOHHHHH those hips in that purple jump suit. :D

Patrick Mower as in Callan, Timh.
As for Erin
erin_gray_01.jpg

ooppps it was a blue jump suit
1luvu.gif

Garrett, I prefered her with black hair please ;)

Originally posted by Timh
Garrett, I prefered her with black hair please ;)
I do not think she had black hair in Buck Rogers but how about this.
eg001.JPG

Thanks Garrett :)

She deffinetly did have black hair towards the end of the series, ask any Buck rogers fan ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom