Talk to me about Power Amps. Is more ££ generally just more power? Can you have too much power? How many channels?

Harkon321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently have a Denon 4400 running a 5.1.4 system. This will be moving to the new room in the summer, which will be a 7.2.4 system - eventually all MK speakers. Probably 950 series which state 25-400W (LCR).

I've got an AudioLab small 2 ch amp so could just run this with the Denon to start with and add later, but there's a few decent Power Amps in the classifieds at the moment.

If I add a Power Amp do you just go for as much power as you can afford? Can you have too much?
Is it best to go for 3 channel first for the LCR and let the Denon do the rest? Or go for a less powerful amp but with more channels.

All new to me ...

Having a three channel power amp is usually sufficient as it's those channels that bear the brunt of the power take from the receiver as they are by far the most active channels. The surrounds and Atmos speakers just dip and out of power requirements as the soundtrack needs them to. There is really no such thing as too powerful as Audyssey will still set the levels for both the receiver and the power amp. You can add a power amp to the Denon with confidence.

If you see my sig that’s what I’ve got. A denon with an iota and a KK/MK setup. Imo adding the iota made all the difference to the experience. Obviously listening at higher volume had the some benefit but even at normal or lower volume the clarity, dynamics and control were much much better. I would definitely buy again if I had the choice.

Ive powered the 5 base layers LCR and side surrounds via the iota (even though it’s 7 channels I leave 2 free for better headroom) and the denon takes care of rear surrounds and the 4 atmos.

I have been using power amps for a while now,from Rotel, Panasound,Arcam,Lexon, etc,for me who like a good performance in stereo Hi-fi,as well as home cinema,its seems the best way to get the best from both,home cinema & Hi-fi performance.
I mainly use them to drive the front 3 speakers,and let the receiver do the other channels.

:)

I had LCR950's. Moved to 150's only because I had some spare funds. The 950's will have more head room than your ears can take. I'm currently using Crown XLS amps to power my speakers. I started with the XLS 1002's but could hear a small amount of hum. In the end settled for 1502's at about £305 for 2 channels. Used a RCA to XLR connector and happy with it.

LCR require the most constant power but if funds allow equal power to all speakers is the icing on the cake.

Object based audio mixes can throw a lot of information into the surrounds/wides and height channels.

Our demonstration cinema room has completely matched speakers on all channels and identical amplification to each channel.
We will be installing front wides next month to create a 9.4.4 speaker layout. We’ve just installed an additional matching power amp to run the wides with 400W into each channel.

AB3519E9-78B4-4392-8A3A-D6F3888A7F5B.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom