Talk Talk *****

GCDB

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI,
Learning a lesson that cheap broadband is crap.
Been trying to switch to another provider recently(well 3 weeks now and counting).
Been trying to get a migration code and now given up on that and just trying to get through to cancel but still no luck. Phoned 30+ times at several times of the day mostly not getting through, but when i do get put through to somewhere else and then phone goes dead....:mad:
The four or five times i have spoke to someone they initially said 30 days for mac code, then it changed to 5 work days....all to come in an email but that was two weeks ago and still nothing so now just trying to speak to someone to cancel for the last five days.
Seen my ar*e and now cancelled direct debits, phoned bt to bump them off the phone call package(another two weeks to wait) but bt cant do anything about broadband side, talk ta*k need to do that so spoken to Offcom and got to send letters which will eventually get rid of themm... i hope....
Annoying really as got to get the adsl side of my phone disconnected and re-connected with another provider of which i will be billed for but if Talk Ta*k would have given me a mac code i wouldnt have had to pay anything!
Just a word of warning really that i suppose you pay for what you get!
Gav
Tried again today for 2 hours on the phone!

Get in touch with Ofcom, and they can kick some butt.

I don't want to rub it in, but I switched to PlusNet for my phone + broadband, and it has been flawless - cheaper than TalkTalk too!

Are force9 a side company of plusnet? as very similar website,same prices etc as thinking of going to f9

Yes, Plusnet is F9's parent company.

Been with Plusnet for years - from when you had to pay a sub for dial up!

However, I've started to look elsewhere. Service in last month has been worst it's ever been. Also, they keep cutting the bandwidth limit - mine has gone from None to Fair Use to 15gb.

Now at the moment, I don't use 15gb but will do when I have Media centre and want to stream video etc

Jowl said:
Also, they keep cutting the bandwidth limit - mine has gone from None to Fair Use to 15gb.

Now at the moment, I don't use 15gb but will do when I have Media centre and want to stream video etc
I'm afraid you are a bit out of date. PlusNet has announced that from 1 August 2006, the included peak-time usage for the PAYG Basic service will rise from 50MB to 450MB. All the other packages have increased allowances too. Outside of peak times there remains no fixed download limit.

PlusNet are trying to put this 'fair usage' nonsense behind them. I hope everyone else can forgive and forget.

Thank you for correcting me......

However, I've started to look elsewhere. Service in last month has been worst it's ever been. Also, they keep cutting the bandwidth limit - mine has gone from None to Fair Use to 20gb.

PLusnet CS and reliability are going downhill IMO (but still better than talktalk) My error above just highlights the lack of communcation with customers.

During the last month I've also had more service problems than the last year.

This announcment was made to the Press, not the public (yet).

Also that 20GB limit only applies to peak-time only; no restrictions apply outside of the hours of 4pm-Midnight.

And, as you say, and I agree, they are still better than TalkTalk!

I'm quite disillusioned with Plusnet at the moment. As I say, service has been poor recently - lack of connectivity, loss of e-mail and a big lack of cummincation with ther users. And the fact that my bandwith - when I us it (peak time is being reduced at at time when I want it most (mainly for video streaming/ legal downloads)

Howerver, I remain with them because I've hardly had any trouble in the past and would hate to jump ship to major unreliability. I'm concious of the grass isn't always greener saying.

My limited experience of talktalk isn't good and has gone from "Definatley sign up" to "wait and see"

I am tempted by he sky offer (mid-range) even though I'm not yet a sky subscriber.

Wow! Am I glad that Wanadoo here in France doesn't have these ridiculous useage caps. Just checked my account & this month so far I have downloaded 272.862GB. As per usual it will be over the 300GB by the end of the month.

Wannado have a free BB over here....with a 2gb download limit :D

Still waiting for my talk talk broadband

hope its not too bad - cos the free international calls are saving me a packet :D

Lost 10 days because Supanet, my previous provider no longer issue MAC codes so had to wait for the line to clear before TT would even enter my BB order.

looks like MAC codes are going extinct, my understanding is that it is a voluntary system to speed up changeover and now that the BB market is getting more competitive, ISP's are no longer interested in helping the customer switch easily

Now I have to wait 10-15 days for TT to connect but I've heard it could be longer due to high demand and engineers on hol at the moment:mad:

Stiggy said:
Get in touch with Ofcom, and they can kick some butt.

I don't want to rub it in, but I switched to PlusNet for my phone + broadband, and it has been flawless - cheaper than TalkTalk too!

I dont understand that statement

Talk Talk do unlimited international and UK calls and BB for £21 p/m

To get similar from PlusNet seems to be £36 for similar package ?

Yes £21, if you can get it.........................
I cant my local exchange isnt open to talk talk?
Anyway everyone else i know cant get it either although they have been promised the £21 deal for months, what you end up getting is the £31 deal and WHEN your local exchange is open to it you MIGHT be able to drop to the £21 18 month contract.
Be careful because my broth/sis signed up for this and had to cancel because they were not informed about the situation on sign up.
After the trouble ive had anyway for £60 extra a year they can stick it up their A***.
By the way,love these forums as got my mac code within one day of posting here....never know whose watching:)

nigelbb said:
Wow! Am I glad that Wanadoo here in France doesn't have these ridiculous useage caps. Just checked my account & this month so far I have downloaded 272.862GB. As per usual it will be over the 300GB by the end of the month.

Thing is if you can see how much you have downloaded on your account then the mechanism is in place to cap and charge if they want. Never good to get too smug about Broadband. I used to be a very happy Telewest user. Now the company is NTL:telewest and I am nervous!:rolleyes:

Now the company is Virgin net:Telewest I hope theyll expand their coverage and I can get some decent broadband!

Let's hope Telewest drag NTL UP to their standard!

mavice said:
Talk Talk do unlimited international and UK calls and BB for £21 p/m

To get similar from PlusNet seems to be £36 for similar package ?
TalkTalk will not operate from my exchange, so I would have to have their £31 deal. I pay PlusNet £25.99 per month for 8Mb broadband, line rental and 240 min of landline calls. I get a monthly download allowance of 4GB from 4pm-Midnight, and virtually unlimited downloads the rest of the time. If I need to do a big download, I schedule it at an appropriate time.

I can honestly say I've no problems at all since I signed up 2 years ago.

Oh, BTW, Plusnet DID communicate with me regarind my increased allowance (which I still think is crap) - but was having trouble with that e-mail account

...which actually came after plusnet wiped 700gb data from their servers....and f***ed the email!

mavice said:
Still waiting for my talk talk broadband

hope its not too bad - cos the free international calls are saving me a packet :D

Lost 10 days because Supanet, my previous provider no longer issue MAC codes so had to wait for the line to clear before TT would even enter my BB order.

looks like MAC codes are going extinct, my understanding is that it is a voluntary system to speed up changeover and now that the BB market is getting more competitive, ISP's are no longer interested in helping the customer switch easily

Now I have to wait 10-15 days for TT to connect but I've heard it could be longer due to high demand and engineers on hol at the moment:mad:
ive had talktalk bb in for about 2 months now and it is brill imo, relly fast and no probs at all:thumbsup:

Jowl said:
Now the company is Virgin net:Telewest I hope theyll expand their coverage and I can get some decent broadband!

Let's hope Telewest drag NTL UP to their standard!

You would like to think so but NTL are very much in charge. I hope the TW philosophy on things like customer services and network investment rubs off.

Im having Telewest broadband installed next weekend (through Quidco £40 cash back, plus online discount :thumbsup: ) at my new house, hopefully NTL won't effect their service. Has anyone any downtime issues with them?

Im using a VOIP wireless router to link up my DECT handset and going to be setting up a VOIPCheap account and hopefully saying goodbye to landine charge every month forever!

That should all bring the monthly outgoings down, so long as the connection is reliable...

As with most things of this nature, reliability can be very regional so depends which franchise you are in. I am certainly having no problems here though I have been informed the e-mail servers will be down for 12 hrs tomorrow.

GCDB said:
Yes £21, if you can get it.........................
I cant my local exchange isnt open to talk talk?

By the way,love these forums as got my mac code within one day of posting here....never know whose watching:)
So the problems you are having is basically due to your location and your useless (previous) isp? If so then dont blame Talk Talk just blame BT Wholesale for having and loving (i.e. taking the :censored: by giving us no service for the highest price possible) there monopoly on landlines and broadband since the internet began.

Sat

satinder said:
So the problems you are having is basically due to your location and your useless (previous) isp? If so then dont blame Talk Talk just blame BT Wholesale for having and loving (i.e. taking the :censored: by giving us no service for the highest price possible) there monopoly on landlines and broadband since the internet began.

Sat

to be fair, you can't blame BT for talktalk not unbundling every exchagne. In the end, its up to Talktalk to decide which ones they want to unbundle, and fairly obviously, they are going to unbundle the ones which they can make the biggest profit on, first.

My free TT BB went live today :thumbsup: - 2 weeks later than scheduled

All in all pretty good service and would have been on time if not for supanet scrapping the MAC code system.

only connected at 2mb at the mo - hope they will ramp it up later as my line stats seem to indicate 8mb is achievable

mavice said:
My free TT BB went live today :thumbsup: - 2 weeks later than scheduled

All in all pretty good service and would have been on time if not for supanet scrapping the MAC code system.

only connected at 2mb at the mo - hope they will ramp it up later as my line stats seem to indicate 8mb is achievable

Im still waiting for my Talk Talk broadband to be connected :mad:, but i still dont blame Talk talk as it BT Wholesale who do the actual changeover from having a BT line to a Talk Talk (controlled) line.

Sat

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom