Talk Talk?

bobbymax

Just swapped over to Talk Talk, mainly for my money sanity. :D
Anyone here have any good/bad things to say about them?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Money sanity? Only if you're willing to play a constant game of musical chairs every time your signup incentives end. Their prices are almost as bad as BT. From what I can see the ongoing price for the main package on their website is an eye watering £46 a month.

And that's assuming you can avoid all the secondary services with their hiked up costs. For example phone calls cost 16p a minute instead of the usual 2p.

I'd personally have gone for an ISP that doesn't try and bundle everything under the sun and offer huge up front discounts and just offers a single price per month for each service.

Someone like Uno get decent reviews and their 40/10 and 80/20 home packages are £25 and £27.50 a month including VAT. That doesn't include a router, Openreach connection charge or phone calls but at £222 per year less than TalkTalk out of contract prices it won't take long to cover for all three and the £60 a year you save when in-contract with TalkTalk.

The big discounters like TalkTalk and BT do have cheapness on their side if you keep on top of the necessary switching, but sanity?

sep8001

I think they are all the same as long as it all works fine. You find out how good they are when something is not works or goes wrong.

Basinguy

i switched from Virgin to TalkTalk a couple of months back, had no complaint thus far :thumbsup:

bobbymax

# Endless Waves Thanks for reply.
Unfortunately Uno can't do anything for me on my landline number, which I did a search on.
As sep8001 say's..I'l just have to suck it and see.

techquest

Been on TT for years and only the odd complaint 40GB+Anytime Free calls+TV+ Mobile £38/mnth.

Whenever there's been a problem though they have to go through all their procedures they have sorted the problems.

psychopomp1

Was with TalkTalk > 10 years, got a great rock solid service at a bargain basement price. Phone support isn't/wasn't the best but then again i hardly needed to contact them. Any requests such as switching off DLM (when on ADSL2+) were done through their forums, which are staffed by UK based OCEs.

Only left them to get a 330 Mb/s FTTPoD line installed. Would happily return to them if/when they start selling 1 Gig FTTP on the Openreach network :thumbsup:

bobbymax

Thank you for all your reply's everyone. :)

Southern soul

I would never go back to Talk Talk, from very poor customer service to continuing to take money from my account even after i cancelled to constant drop outs then trying to charge me for BT to visit and check my line, tech support is a joke unless you want to be told to turn the unit off & on again.

oldfart

Have been with TalkTalk for six years now and have had no problems until 10 days ago when the internet started disconnecting between 6am and 8am for a couple of hours. Interestingly both Sundays and Christmas Day it was ok!, So I assume for some reason an Engineer has been working in the exchange on a working day hence the disconnection. I did contact customer service who ran a diagnostic on the line and said it was up to spec but unless TalkTalk run the test between 6 and 8 it would be wouldn't it?. Tomorrow the 30/12/2019 I am being upgraded to 150MBS and will speak to the Engineer and see what he's thoughts are. If the problem persists then will use the cooling of period to cancel and change provider. On a final note in my opinion all providers are the same, All have their faults and it's not until there's a problem that their weaknesses come to the surface.

psychopomp1

Didn't think that kind of speed was available with TalkTalk fibre.
Well they sell g.fast services, so perhaps oldfart is upgrading to that?

They will also start selling Openreach based FTTP very soon (along witk Sky), potentially offering speeds of 1 Gb/s.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Good luck if you move house and try transferring your internet. We setup a transfer in advance of our move and they failed to transfer 3 times. This meant we couldnt have internet at our new house as it was still set to the old property. No one could tell me the actual process for doing this, and to make it worse they had to wait for slots to disconnect the old property. Ended up just cancelling and going to virgin, which we were connected to two days later (had been installed at property previously).

oldfart

Well they sell g.fast services, so perhaps oldfart is upgrading to that?

They will also start selling Openreach based FTTP very soon (along witk Sky), potentially offering speeds of 1 Gb/s.

Sorry for the confusion and it is Fast Fibre I believe which was connected on Monday. While the Engineer was here a speed test showed 160Mbps although at the moment is 141Mbps download and 29Mbps upload to a MacBook connected via Wi-Fi. Very happy so far but time will tell!.

DHarrison1221

We've been with TalkTalk for a number of years now. Have had maybe one or two small issues but nothing that springs to mind and customer service is good. We don't always get the promised internet speeds but, when you've got three teenagers, you can understand why that is

oldfart

As the old saying goes " Better the Devil you know ".

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Sorry for the confusion and it is Fast Fibre I believe which was connected on Monday. While the Engineer was here a speed test showed 160Mbps although at the moment is 141Mbps download and 29Mbps upload to a MacBook connected via Wi-Fi

Can I ask how much you're paying per month for that package?
Also is that for broadband only or does it include TV?

techquest

was connected on Monday. While the Engineer was here a speed test showed 160Mbps although at the moment is 141Mbps download and 29Mbps upload to a MacBook connected via Wi-Fi.

The connection takes time to settle over a number of days so you might get back to the speed the engineer had or better.

Last edited:

oldfart

Can I ask how much you're paying per month for that package?
Also is that for broadband only or does it include TV?
£28 per month although it will go up to £40 at the end of the contract but will negotiate towards the end of contract for the best deal possible. Does not include TV or any other service as we don't need them. We never use the landline and have Freesat for commercial TV albeit 99% rubbish. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ are our main source of viewing. Could have had it for free if the Labour Party had won the Election:facepalm::p:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The connection takes time to settle over a number of days so you might get back to the speed the engineer had or better.
So far I am very happy with the speed. Had 75Mbps previously and the main difference can be seen when loading web pages.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett