Talk Talk broadband.

Captain Speedy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, from september i will be able to ditch BT and change to another supplier, as we have no cable support in our area the choice is limited to those who can supply thier own telephone cables, after searching around I have come up with Talk Talk and Tiscali with TT being the cheapest. Does anyone use them at the moment and what is their service like, particulary on live?

I have used the free TalkTalk for a couple of years now. No problems at all so far. Live has been solid - I would recommend it although I'm sure someone will post a reply saying they have had problems.

I think it's a bit of a lottery. My friend has Orange broadband and it has been down for them for nearly a month and other friends have BT and they have had issues there too.

OK, I'll stop waffling. My advice would be to go with TalkTalk.

I can't post from experience but a similar question was posted on our forums at work (I work in IT consultancy) and talktalk got a big negative reaction to be honest. Much like insurance companies, they appear to be fine until something goes wrong and that's when the problems start...the 'support' is supposed to be appalling.

As I said, that's other peoples' opinions so I'm not commenting on any personal experience.

Check out http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ for community reviews and advice. Something to look out for is companies that don't tie you in for a long period (12-18 months) i.e they are confident that the service they provide isn't going to see you upsticks.

As above, I cant talk from experience but ive heard nothing but bad things about talk talk.
Go to the link posted above and compare isp's and you will see how they compare.I use Eclipse who are consistently rated in the top 3 in the uk who i found through that site.

I have used the free TalkTalk for a couple of years now. No problems at all so far. Live has been solid - I would recommend it although I'm sure someone will post a reply saying they have had problems.

I think it's a bit of a lottery. My friend has Orange broadband and it has been down for them for nearly a month and other friends have BT and they have had issues there too.

OK, I'll stop waffling. My advice would be to go with TalkTalk.

I completely agree,I use talktalk but have had only one problem in over a year when the line went dead and I got through straight away and they diverted all my incoming calls to my mobile free and the problem was fixed within 6 hours:smashin:

Hi guys, from september i will be able to ditch BT and change to another supplier, as we have no cable support in our area the choice is limited to those who can supply thier own telephone cables, after searching around I have come up with Talk Talk and Tiscali with TT being the cheapest. Does anyone use them at the moment and what is their service like, particulary on live?
If you currently get your broadband from BT, then that will be BT retail. You can still choose from hundreds of other ISPs who use the BT Wholesale backbone, or you may be able to get broadband from some LLU providers.

There is a common misconception that all BT Wholesale providers will be alike. This is not the case at all but I wont bore you with the technicalities right now.

If you click on the 1st link in my sig & enter your details you can see what (if any) LLU options are available to you.

If gaming is very important to you then you will want a provider that can offer low pings to the servers you game on.

Depending on what is available to you, and what else you use your internet connection for, I would suggest you also consider the following options...

Entanet reseller like ADSL24. Excellent pings. 1 month contract. large data allowance.

BE. ADSL2+. Unlimited with generous FUP. 3 month contract.

Any Sky LLU service (if you have sky tv). Cheap, but pings & customer support not the best. 12 month contract. Still well worth any shortlist though.

Mine is being switched in September sometime as there was a 30 trial with no tie-in so I thought I'd give it a go. If I get trouble I'll be off like a shot.

mine got switched last friday connection keeps dropping i put that down to the line settling down it was ok last night going to give it another go tonight on gow if not going to cancel tomorrow

I have talktalk and must be one of the lucky customers!

i had heard and read bad things but the price of the service got the better of me, when i did use it for live i didnt experience any problems, if i need to ring customer service i have always got through very quickly. So far the service has been good for me, with the only minor gripe i had is that it took them 4 months to refund the £29.99 for the modem they send you, other than that i am a very happy customer (so far) :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom