Quantcast

Talk Talk Broadband

General Skanky

Just moved to Plusnet myself.

So far all has gone well on their side.

Kept me informed all the way along.

Literally about to have my line regraded.

I'm on the Premier + £15 phone deal.

So far good.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
General Skanky said:
Just moved to Plusnet myself.

So far all has gone well on their side.

Kept me informed all the way along.

Literally about to have my line regraded.

I'm on the Premier + £15 phone deal.

So far good.
hi general,

plusnet are a serious contender for me, line set up for 2meg at the moment, im assuming i will need a regrade will i have to pay for this as a new customer? what other costs will i incur?

General Skanky

The regrade is £14.99. You pay it separately from other costs. They e mailed me today telling me it was going to happen and what to expect.

The £47 migration fee is deferred over 5 years.

You only pay it if you leave before 5 years. The amount would decrease over time if you do leave before 5 years.

I opted for the Pemier 1 + £15 home Phone deal.

They have taken £21.99 for the broadband already. I joined on the 1st Sept. The phone activates 2 - 3 weeks after the broadband. You will receive the phone benefits 'pro rata' from the time it starts. Ie, starts in the middle of the month you get half the allowance. It is currently 1000 mins all inclusive a month.

Only 'snag' I had was AOL cut me off on the Monday of the week of migration, and Plusnet (correctly), turned me on, on the Friday.

Telephoning them was slow and frustrating for sure, (but no worse than AOL), other than that all goes well so far. I am on a monthly contract just in case.

AOL had me on 1Mb. Plusnet before the line regrade have given me speeds of between 1.8 - 2.3 Mb. Used the speed check at www.adslguide.org.uk

Tbh though, as long as it all works, then I'm happy.

Axion

Standard Member
oldnewbie said:
sorry but perhaps your telephone manner is as inept as your forum manner and that is how you have been treated in such a bad way,only joking, but seriously as i have already stated if i wanted to leave (which i don't) it would only cost £70 and i have saved that already, and further more you can only go off your own personal experience and i have found them both courteous and professional and have never been on hold more than five minutes. o and by the way you forgot to add a list of cheaper broadband providers:D
The problem with getting through has improved this past month, it was an issue they actually acknowledged and it was a serious problem.

In terms of friendliness they are fine, but in terms of actually adressing the problem, they are totally inept.

Again as you say you have found them to be fine - my question is what have you phoned them about?

Try phoning them about getting a MAC code or leaving and see how helpfyl they are! In fact everytime I requested the code they were very friendly and 'helpful' about it saying it'd be with me in 48hrs, max 5working days. I have now requested it over 8times over the course of 2-3months and never received it.

I know someone who asked to leave, and the guy claimed not to be able to process it - ie. no you cant leave us, not without a fight anyway.

As i type this I am downloading at a massive 2kbps on uTorrent - something which is the case for 16-18 hours a day.

You mention cost - well I personally consider TalkTalk to be cheap yes, but you dont even get a full product, so to compare them to any other Broadband provider is an insult to the term Broadband. Id compare them perhaps to Dialup.

The only provider I have personal experience with is Telewest - who are in fact more expensive than most, but they are exceptionally good - a solid constant connection with unlimited bandwidth which reall is unlimited (i often downloaded ~200gb in a month without breaking a sweat and always got max speeds)

Sadly where I am now I cant receive Telewest (they service next door! so unfair!)

I am planning to migrate to either: Pipex, Be Unlimited, or some Business BB (e.g. BT). None of these can be classed as cheap, but they are all unlimited and seem to have good reputations for the most.

I dont mind spending a few more £/month and actually getting a true service, rather than the joke I get now.

triplea4uk

Axion said:
The problem with getting through has improved this past month, it was an issue they actually acknowledged and it was a serious problem.

In terms of friendliness they are fine, but in terms of actually adressing the problem, they are totally inept.

Again as you say you have found them to be fine - my question is what have you phoned them about?

Try phoning them about getting a MAC code or leaving and see how helpfyl they are! In fact everytime I requested the code they were very friendly and 'helpful' about it saying it'd be with me in 48hrs, max 5working days. I have now requested it over 8times over the course of 2-3months and never received it.

I know someone who asked to leave, and the guy claimed not to be able to process it - ie. no you cant leave us, not without a fight anyway.

As i type this I am downloading at a massive 2kbps on uTorrent - something which is the case for 16-18 hours a day.

You mention cost - well I personally consider TalkTalk to be cheap yes, but you dont even get a full product, so to compare them to any other Broadband provider is an insult to the term Broadband. Id compare them perhaps to Dialup.

The only provider I have personal experience with is Telewest - who are in fact more expensive than most, but they are exceptionally good - a solid constant connection with unlimited bandwidth which reall is unlimited (i often downloaded ~200gb in a month without breaking a sweat and always got max speeds)

Sadly where I am now I cant receive Telewest (they service next door! so unfair!)

I am planning to migrate to either: Pipex, Be Unlimited, or some Business BB (e.g. BT). None of these can be classed as cheap, but they are all unlimited and seem to have good reputations for the most.

I dont mind spending a few more £/month and actually getting a true service, rather than the joke I get now.
You get what you pay for in the end.

Business BB from BT is really cheap when you consider its true unlimited no caps for about £36 month it costs BT more then this if you are downloading 200gb+ a month.

Stay clear of Pipex awful company and there not true unlimited same as Bethere they both have fair usage policy. Unlimited means now you can be connected for unlimited amount of time.

Axion

Standard Member
the 200gb/month was at uni, when i had more free time

I reckon now I will use more like 50-80gb/month, which I doubt either Pipex/Be would circumvent

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Axion said:

all jokes aside it does indeed look like by the overwhelming evidence that I am with a so so provider, all your points are indeed very valid but I probably haven't encountered any of the problems you have because I don't download that much and haven't really encountered any problems. the one thing I will say about talktalk is that they are trying in a very competitive market and are making other bb providers rethink there pricing policies atleast. of course that's not much of an excuse for there obvious inadiquicies

Rygar

Novice Member
brownieeyes said:
Rygar,

i have done my own reading, i prefer personal experience from other users, and also independant reviews and awards
Fair enough. However the reading to which I refer is just that: the personal experiences of many others.

To be honest awards mean zilch to me in picking any service, broadband or otherwise. I tend to take reviews with a large pinch of salt as well. Many sites & mags have to worry about keeping their advertisers happy so reviews can be biased. Not true all of the time I know. Maybe I'm just too cynical :rolleyes:

Axion

Standard Member
triplea4uk said:
Stay clear of Pipex awful company and there not true unlimited same as Bethere they both have fair usage policy. Unlimited means now you can be connected for unlimited amount of time.
I cant find Pipex's fair usage policy - if you could direct me to it id appreciate it
Be's is a bit blurry really
Be there literacy genius said:
If it’s felt that any Be unlimited or office member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.
I mean is that 100gb/mnth? 200? 500?

Eclipse is suddenly looking quite temping by the fact that its transparent in its policies - 50gb peak-time, unlimited off-peak for 21.99 seems pretty reasonable - assuming its true!

Aitch_Kay

Standard Member
I'm with ...... NTL ...... yes they have just as many complaints from customers as TalkTalk ...... but for me they have been fantastic !!

Rock solid and speedy Broadband 247 - and they price match TalkTalk if you twist their arm :D

Axion

Standard Member
I'm with ...... NTL ...... yes they have just as many complaints from customers as TalkTalk ...... but for me they have been fantastic !!

Rock solid and speedy Broadband 247 - and they price match TalkTalk if you twist their arm :D
ntl had a bad rep, but as far as i know have certainly improved over the past few years (service wise).

Since the whole Telewest/NTL thing hopefully their CS has/will improve to the level of Telewest's too.

Again IF I could get cable - I'd already have it :D

100%WHU

Novice Member
maybe you should try it before making comments, and in future try possibly reading a thread before passing judgement. 1 as Ive already said if i leave it will cost me £70 but i have already saved that much in 6 months 2 i do use p2p protocols in that i use steam and download a lot of other media as well with none of your so called affects:lesson: and i would also like to add that there are no other providers that are cheaper considering that i only pay £21 and that includes broadband,line rental and all my calls, and before you say that there customer service is crap without also trying it, Ive tried it and found it no worse than bt in fact they were quit efficient

I have to second that, I was with Tiscali, before and over the last month I was continually getting dropped connections. Since being with Talk Talk I have had none of that. In fact I went live before I received my start up cd and modem. I rang talk talk. they said that when I was in front of my computer(I wasn't at the time I was at work) they would tell me how to use my existing modem, until there one arrived. I didn't need to make the call, when I got home that evening, my wife had received a call from them and he had given her the instructions on how to set it up.:smashin:

Now if only Sky could learn a lesson or to in returning calls when they say they will. :thumbsdow

oldnewbie

Novice Member
I have to second that, I was with Tiscali, before and over the last month I was continually getting dropped connections. Since being with Talk Talk I have had none of that. In fact I went live before I received my start up cd and modem. I rang talk talk. they said that when I was in front of my computer(I wasn't at the time I was at work) they would tell me how to use my existing modem, until there one arrived. I didn't need to make the call, when I got home that evening, my wife had received a call from them and he had given her the instructions on how to set it up.:smashin:

Now if only Sky could learn a lesson or to in returning calls when they say they will. :thumbsdow
but i'm afraid that just makes you and me the only satisfied customers out of thousands:( hopefully our own experiences with talktalk will continue to be excellent :thumbsup:

100%WHU

Novice Member
but i'm afraid that just makes you and me the only satisfied customers out of thousands:( hopefully our own experiences with talktalk will continue to be excellent :thumbsup:
Seems to be that way doesn't it. Maybe there best service is in the area we live and no where else. I can't think of any other reason why it would be that way. It can't be luck, because I have non of that with Sky :confused:

Axion

Standard Member
Always found sky to be more responsive tbh - if they start spouting bs over the phone you can easily set themstraight, threaten to leave, and they generally fix it!

You threaten to leave talktalk and they basically laugh at you saying 'good luck' (of course they dont, but they might as well for all the 'help' they give)

hermanmunster

Novice Member
I don't know what you guys are going on about. Here's my experience with Talk Talk:

Joined in June, Broadband start of August. I am on Talk3 which for £21 per month gives me unlimited local, national and international calls, line rental and 1Mb Broadband (too far from exchange for any more, was the same with BT).

My average phone and broadband bills with BT were £60 per month, the service is no different....everything is OK until you need to talk to someone to resolve an issue....they are all crap at that.

Still no problems with connectivity, speed or useage capping including torrent. My wife loves chatting to her brother in the States so very happy.

There must be more out there with this experience too as Talk Talk are still growing:lesson:

GCDB

Standard Member
Good luck if you ever try to cancel or leave, you may think its heaven at the mo and it is for you im sure but 12mnths down the line there may be something better or another alternative for you(my case) . I have changed to force9 since 4 aug. Had a bill from tt yesterday £40 ish demand notice for broadband(that i havnt had) for the period 10 aug to 10 sept.I have had letter from talktalk saying sorry your leaving etc last bill date 10 aug etc. Offcom are now intervening and if this persists further legal action will follow for harrassment. Shouldnt have to go to these lengths and if i just tear bills up i amy end up getting blacklisted or something.Blood boiling writing this too.....

satinder

Novice Member
I can only go by my experience and not by reading about the so called bad experiences from other forum users, but basically Talk Talk has the best telephone + broadband deal availible that i know of. I went from telephone bills of £100+ a month and £30 for broadband too £21 a month all-in.

Now some people say they have major problems with Talk Talk but the only problem i have is that i can only get a 2mb connection, but thats really down to my local exchange not being upgraded yet. The transfer from Zen (best broadband availible) to Talk Talk was quick and the fact that i dont have to pay for telephone calls is just amazing.

I have called the customer service for Talk Talk and it compares with most other call centres these days, the usual waiting and being transferred to other departments. I dont know of any customer services that dont do this so im not bothered about it.

Anyway i hope my experience was usefull to you sh18.

Sat

oldnewbie

Novice Member
I don't believe it, that's 4 happy customers (including me) so far with talktalk, keep it going lads:thumbsup: surely we cant be the only ones:smashin:

rasb0

Novice Member
My dad had nightmares with Talk Talk:eek: Connection continually dropping out:mad: thats when it would actually connect:( speeds not as promised after upgrade:mad: unable to get thru to CS on the phone:( countless ignored e-mails:mad: They eventually let him leave within the 12 month contract period without charge:thumbsup: They obviously felt guilty!!:rolleyes: NOT!

One for the little Guy, he's not that little actually but, Stick at it!

trevor.dowle

Novice Member
I don't believe it, that's 4 happy customers (including me) so far with talktalk, keep it going lads:thumbsup: surely we cant be the only ones:smashin:
I went live with TalkTalk on 13 September. I had a couple of minor issues, which were completely resolved by Customer Services, and I reckon I'm on a great deal, but it depends where your priorities lie.........

I'm on talk 3 international. I get inclusive unlimited UK landline calls (up to 70min per call - then redial) I also get the same inclusive deal on landlines to all EU countries as well as USA, Canada, Australia NZ. In addition to this I get my broadband FREE OF CHARGE!

OK, so I've got to stay with them for 18 months but I was with BT for phone, and NTL for ISP for years prior to that, AND paying out a lot more money! Further I was an early adopter with several ISP's (AOL,Virgin, Mercury (later C&W), Freeserve, Prestel, RedHotAnt, BBC and others); without exception they all failed to deliver the goods at first, and this is only to be expected at the beginning. I'm prepared to wait as it isn't life threatening.

5 happy customers!!

oldnewbie

Novice Member
I went live with TalkTalk on 13 September. I had a couple of minor issues, which were completely resolved by Customer Services, and I reckon I'm on a great deal, but it depends where your priorities lie.........

I'm on talk 3 international. I get inclusive unlimited UK landline calls (up to 70min per call - then redial) I also get the same inclusive deal on landlines to all EU countries as well as USA, Canada, Australia NZ. In addition to this I get my broadband FREE OF CHARGE!

OK, so I've got to stay with them for 18 months but I was with BT for phone, and NTL for ISP for years prior to that, AND paying out a lot more money! Further I was an early adopter with several ISP's (AOL,Virgin, Mercury (later C&W), Freeserve, Prestel, RedHotAnt, BBC and others); without exception they all failed to deliver the goods at first, and this is only to be expected at the beginning. I'm prepared to wait as it isn't life threatening.

5 happy customers!!
champion, and the numbers keep rising:smashin:

markbigears

Novice Member
I'm now with talktalk and have had excellent service and the price is fantastic, i'm saving a fortune!

I

iTod

TalkTalk are fine if you're Joe Average...

However, if you're into on-line gaming and serious downloading (which is really the whole point of broadband) their service is p**s poor. The 1:50 ratio is really noticeable at peak times with some serious outages.

So, on an 'unlimited' service it's taken 24 hours to download 25% of a game that took 2 hours for the whole thing with NTL. Gaming on UK servers should have a ping of 20-30, peak time with SlowSlow gives a ping of 100-200, and that's when they don't cut you off!!!

When I move in 3 weeks it's goodbye TalkTalk, hello BT Business :clap:

trevor.dowle

Novice Member
TalkTalk are fine if you're Joe Average...

However, if you're into on-line gaming and serious downloading (which is really the whole point of broadband) their service is p**s poor. The 1:50 ratio is really noticeable at peak times with some serious outages.

So, on an 'unlimited' service it's taken 24 hours to download 25% of a game that took 2 hours for the whole thing with NTL. Gaming on UK servers should have a ping of 20-30, peak time with SlowSlow gives a ping of 100-200, and that's when they don't cut you off!!!

When I move in 3 weeks it's goodbye TalkTalk, hello BT Business :clap:
Like I said in an earlier post:
It depends where your priorities lie, and if you want to play games, then you've probably got to pay the price.
I just want to do a bit of casual surfing, visit a few forums and a bit of emailing.
Suits me fine compared to 56k dial-up. Especially as you could never achieve anything like 56k connection.
I guess I'm one your Joe Average's then, but surely that applies to most people, otherwise Joe wouldn't be average?

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Like I said in an earlier post:
It depends where your priorities lie, and if you want to play games, then you've probably got to pay the price.
I just want to do a bit of casual surfing, visit a few forums and a bit of emailing.
Suits me fine compared to 56k dial-up. Especially as you could never achieve anything like 56k connection.
I guess I'm one your Joe Average's then, but surely that applies to most people, otherwise Joe wouldn't be average?
ditto, and I do a bit of online gaming aswell, pings always around 30:thumbsup:

welshtommo

Novice Member
:thumbsdow Could'nt get rid of Talk Talk quickly enough! In fact, still trying. They are sending me bills for a service that I have never received. Signed up in April, finally got my equipment in August. Never ever got connected. Everything went wrong. Impossible to get it sorted. Every time I rang the customer help line, I either got cut off or spoke to someone who could not speak English. Each time, the I was on hold for at least 30 minutes. Was finally told that they could not help me! When I asked to be cut off and requested a refund, was told that I was not eligible for one because I didn't give them 30 days to attempt to rectify the problem - even though I was told they were unable to help!
Had another bill last week, but have been with Sky for over a month now and no problems. Only costing me about a pound per month more than Talk Talk.

markbigears

Novice Member
I do agree that their customer support stinks........its truely, truely sub standard, even for a indian call centre. I had the line dropping out constantly and rang to ask for help....forget it.....went online and found what i was looking for and no more drop outs and fantastic reliable line now. If i deal with a company now, first thing i ask is where is your call centre based? if its india i go elsewhere. Twice this has happened with companies i've bought from, Netgear is on par with talktalk, in fact i'm sure its the same crap call centre!!