Quantcast

Talk Talk Broadband

sh18

Novice Member
Hi

My dad wants to switch from NTL to Talk Talk broadband. do any of you have any experience using this provider?

AMCross

one word

DONT :mad: :suicide: :rolleyes:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
any other recommendations then?

PlasmaVirgin

I work in the IT / Internet industry and have found Eclipse to be a very good broadband supplier. :thumbsup:

In fact, I've just moved to them from Pipex! :smashin:

markbigears

Novice Member
so you guys have had/are on Talk talk? or are you just going by what you've read?

Axion

Standard Member
Been trying for 2months to get off the useless lump of lard 'i want to walk-walk not talk-talk'

AMCross

signed up in may

been paying £21.99 since

go live broadband date aug 2006

given them my mac code three times

BT tell me thats because they cannot offer me the broadband without the £10 charge per month something to do with unbundled loops or something

only 70% OF THE UK IS FREE

A complete waste of time Indian call centre,long waiting list,uninformed staff need i say more

oldnewbie

Novice Member
:thumbsup: Ive had talktalk broadband in for about 5 months and it has been brilliant, fast connection no connection drops, what more can I say. and I'm only paying £21 a month, ok if i wanted to leave it would cost me £70 but I will have saved that in 6 months witch is nearly up anyway. but as I say I am well pleased with it so far and I'm saving money:clap:

Axion

Standard Member
oldnewbie said:
:thumbsup: Ive had talktalk broadband in for about 5 months and it has been brilliant, fast connection no connection drops, what more can I say. and I'm only paying £21 a month, ok if i wanted to leave it would cost me £70 but I will have saved that in 6 months witch is nearly up anyway. but as I say I am well pleased with it so far and I'm saving money:clap:
saving money compared to what? many places are cheaper/better

oh and just try to leave!

p.s. you tried to do any doanloading that uses p2p protocals? I mean even Steam (software client used for Half-Life2/Counterstrike etc) is capped by TalkTalk meaning for basically 16-18hours a day you get 0.1-1.2kbps.

Since Im not a huge fan of sleeping with my computer on these days it means effectively I cannot download anything.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
brownieeyes said:
any other recommendations then?
Since my original post, i have done some research. I guess whoever you go with there will be someone who has had a bad experience so you have to make your own mind up.

the experience i have had with talk talk is awful at best. still waiting for broadband after 4 months, gonna dispute the £70 fee for leaving.

the award winners and reviews and personal experiences seem to point to:

plusnet
eclipse
zen
be
pipex

have no personal experience of any of the above, but plusnet seems very attractive packages and have very good customer service from all accounts. no download limits off peak and no lock in contract....thats the way to go for me.

martin greaves

Novice Member
I am on Plusnet at the moment, and wouldn't recomend them. They used to be good, but over the past year or so things have declined rapidly. Support is pretty poor (although the whole support organisationhas just been re-organised, so it could improve), and they seem to have regular technical problems (especially their email servers). They also have a tendency to change their terms and conditions regularly.

Stiggy

Another quick recommendation for PlusNet.

Yes, they have had problems, but they have openly admitted where they have gone wrong and tried to correct it. They are having the same problems any rapidly expanding ISP would have. TalkTalk have been stupidly over-ambitious and have not been able to cope.

Anyone who is old enough to remember the Freeserve dial-up boom will find this all very familiar!

buzlightyear

Plusnet seems to work ok, but dont try and get tech support.
I would recommend Zen, can always get through to tech support and customer services, and call centers in the UK. :thumbsup:

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Axion said:
saving money compared to what? many places are cheaper/better

oh and just try to leave!

p.s. you tried to do any doanloading that uses p2p protocals? I mean even Steam (software client used for Half-Life2/Counterstrike etc) is capped by TalkTalk meaning for basically 16-18hours a day you get 0.1-1.2kbps.

Since Im not a huge fan of sleeping with my computer on these days it means effectively I cannot download anything.
maybe you should try it before making comments, and in future try possibly reading a thread before passing judgement. 1 as Ive already said if i leave it will cost me £70 but i have already saved that much in 6 months 2 i do use p2p protocols in that i use steam and download a lot of other media as well with none of your so called affects:lesson: and i would also like to add that there are no other providers that are cheaper considering that i only pay £21 and that includes broadband,line rental and all my calls, and before you say that there customer service is crap without also trying it, Ive tried it and found it no worse than bt in fact they were quit efficient

GCDB

Standard Member
i do have experiance of leaving talk talk and trying to get in touch with support teams etc and believe me it is as bad as it gets. I wouldnt join with them now if i could get the £21 per month contract. I have phoned bt a few times in the last month and believe me there is no comparison, bt have been helpful. I am still dreading more bills coming in from talktalk after 1 month of finishing as i dont want to phone them up again to go through all the same palava etc and getting nowhere or being cut off etc,transfered after waiting 30mins then cut off etc etc etc
Gav

oldnewbie

Novice Member
GCDB said:
i do have experiance of leaving talk talk and trying to get in touch with support teams etc and believe me it is as bad as it gets. I wouldnt join with them now if i could get the £21 per month contract. I have phoned bt a few times in the last month and believe me there is no comparison, bt have been helpful. I am still dreading more bills coming in from talktalk after 1 month of finishing as i dont want to phone them up again to go through all the same palava etc and getting nowhere or being cut off etc,transfered after waiting 30mins then cut off etc etc etc
Gav
well all i can say is that you can only go off your own experience and Ive found them to be easy to get hold of and very helpful, and had the exact opposite of your experience with bt, and they were still billing me for 2 months after leaving, maybe you would think differently if you had had my experience with talktalk and you could get the £21 a month deal:D

Fe+

Novice Member
zen are the best and most reliable providers in the market, you can't go wrong with them...

Axion

Standard Member
oldnewbie said:
maybe you should try it before making comments, and in future try possibly reading a thread before passing judgement. 1 as Ive already said if i leave it will cost me £70 but i have already saved that much in 6 months 2 i do use p2p protocols in that i use steam and download a lot of other media as well with none of your so called affects:lesson: and i would also like to add that there are no other providers that are cheaper considering that i only pay £21 and that includes broadband,line rental and all my calls, and before you say that there customer service is crap without also trying it, Ive tried it and found it no worse than bt in fact they were quit efficient
Sorry but what on earth are you talking about? I should read the thread before passing judgement?perhaps you should do the same!

1. I am with Talktalk
2. I get these problems, right now, as we speak
3. Ive phoned their CS over 10 times (that ive actually got through) in the past 2 months - and found them incredibly inept and, also, a real hassle to get hold of (indeed often an automated voice would tell to call back later)

Anyway dont make such sweeping statements about me, and acuse me of passing judgement without any personal experience, or even of not having read the thread, when quite clearly it is you who failed to read the thread and passed judgement!

/edit
Axion said:
Been trying for 2months to get off the useless lump of lard 'i want to walk-walk not talk-talk'
in case you still cant find it

Axion

Standard Member
GCDB said:
Gav
Now that is the talktalk I know

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Axion said:
Sorry but what on earth are you talking about? I should read the thread before passing judgement?perhaps you should do the same!

1. I am with Talktalk
2. I get these problems, right now, as we speak
3. Ive phoned their CS over 10 times (that ive actually got through) in the past 2 months - and found them incredibly inept and, also, a real hassle to get hold of (indeed often an automated voice would tell to call back later)

Anyway dont make such sweeping statements about me, and acuse me of passing judgement without any personal experience, or even of not having read the thread, when quite clearly it is you who failed to read the thread and passed judgement!

/edit

in case you still cant find it
sorry but perhaps your telephone manner is as inept as your forum manner and that is how you have been treated in such a bad way,only joking, but seriously as i have already stated if i wanted to leave (which i don't) it would only cost £70 and i have saved that already, and further more you can only go off your own personal experience and i have found them both courteous and professional and have never been on hold more than five minutes. o and by the way you forgot to add a list of cheaper broadband providers:D

Rygar

Novice Member
I have no personal experience of talk talk. But in my experience if a LOT of people are complaining about them it's not for no reason. Oldnewbie is happy. Good for him. However for every one happy customer there seems to be 10 unhappy ones. For this reason I would avoid talk talk and could not suggest them to anyone.

I think its worth noting also that different people require different things from their broadband connection. I would class talk talk in the "OK for general surfing & email" category. They are no good if you want a faster broadband connection or want to download decent sized files via p2p without being throttled.

18 month contract too. 12 months is bad enough considering there are good ISP's that only tie you in for 1 month...but 18!! Not for me.

A quick glance at the TT forum on ADSL Guide, and one can see all is not well
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Rygar said:
I have no personal experience of talk talk. But in my experience if a LOT of people are complaining about them it's not for no reason. Oldnewbie is happy. Good for him. However for every one happy customer there seems to be 10 unhappy ones. For this reason I would avoid talk talk and could not suggest them to anyone.

I think its worth noting also that different people require different things from their broadband connection. I would class talk talk in the "OK for general surfing & email" category. They are no good if you want a faster broadband connection or want to download decent sized files via p2p without being throttled.

18 month contract too. 12 months is bad enough considering there are good ISP's that only tie you in for 1 month...but 18!! Not for me.

I completely agree with everything that you have said and going by the overwhelming evidence it does indeed look like I am in a minority:( but as you have also said I am happy with the service I have had from talktalk so there is little else I can say on the matter

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Rygar said:

what would you recommendations be then rygar?:confused:

Rygar

Novice Member
brownieeyes said:
what would you recommendations be then rygar?:confused:
Depends on what your budget is and how you use the internet. I do not think there is one "best" ISP because everyone uses the net differently.

My own ISP is Entanet and I am very happy with them. Other ISP's I would consider are:

Nildram
BT broadband Business
Zen
IDnet
Andrews & Arnold

These come only from the reading I have done on other forums. After a while you get a feel for the good guys. However I am sure there are other good ISP's to be had as well. For example I have not done much research on the cable companies or the ADSL2+ LLU ISP's simply because they are unavailable in my area so of little interest to me at the moment.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Sky turn out to be decent but I think it is far too early to tell.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Rygar,

i have done my own reading, i prefer personal experience from other users, and also independant reviews and awards. i have been stung by talk talk and dont want to make the same mistake again!.

i dont do to much p2p stuff, but lots of surfing and media streaming and also music downloads. oh and phone package included. i just want reliability, customer service and tech support if reqd, with a 6.5 download speed. not to much to ask is it.:hiya: