Quantcast

Talk Talk BroadBand - Whats your experience ?

BiggieBig

Thinking of shifting to talk talk broadband.

Currently pay £33 + cost of landline calls
for my home phone and broadband, so will make a decent saving.

I know the 18month contact puts people off but been with my current provider (plus.net) for around 3 years.

Also they're site says it blocks p2p during peak times (does any one know what these times are and do they allow any kind of p2p activity during these times)

Existing customers whats you experiences in general ?

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
i think they traffic shape other ways as well, ie main download servers such as Apple movies etc are probably restricted....i might be wrong, i know some ISP's have started doing this....

from what i've seen people post on here, some having positive experiences, others not.....bit like any company really...lol.....not sure i'd want to tie in on 18 months with an unknown quantity tho......especially given how fast the media-comms market is moving atm with offers and stuff....

and BT just upped my limit to 50Gb....w00t...heh....ok not a massive amount extra, but its an encouraging sign...lol.....BT are doing their BT Total package too, cant remember exactly what it offers, but it does give free evening calls etc......i'd check out what the opposition are offering this summer before you commit tbh....

arnt Sky going to be jumping on the bandwagon soon as well? (altho that may be a worse idea...hahaha...sorry...)

I have been with talk talk for 18months and havent seen a change in the quality of my service since going for the offer.

The only thing I have noticed is a cheaper bill!!

Still dont have 8meg I think its coming in september...but 2meg speed is quite quick enough.

As for p2p dont use it so cant comment..

marlowdrummer

I've been with talktalk for 16 months, only one service outage in that time, and that was less than 2 hours.
With the new deal, it's cheaper and 8Mb/s coming soon (hopefully July in Glasgow).

Only problam I have had (as did my mate on the same deal) is that the modem supplied is naff. It overheats and cuts out so you need to reconnect. Swapped it out for a DSL modem/router and never looked back.

I don't use P2P either, but I have had no issues with traffic shaping for gaming. COD2, BF2, MOHAA etc. I believe some shaping occurs for WoW, but that might be hearsay.

TTFN
Marlowdrummer

Yeah me too. the free modem is pants

get yourself a decent modem/router and its fine!

bluevortex

depsi said:
Thinking of shifting to talk talk broadband.

Currently pay £33 + cost of landline calls
for my home phone and broadband, so will make a decent saving.

I know the 18month contact puts people off but been with my current provider (plus.net) for around 3 years.

Also they're site says it blocks p2p during peak times (does any one know what these times are and do they allow any kind of p2p activity during these times)

Existing customers whats you experiences in general ?
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk

I signed up to them a couple of weeks back. I was getting fed up deciding on which ISP to go with and on an impulse decided to go with talk talk. They give a 10 day cancellation period when you first sign up. I decided to cancel after reading some comments on ADSL guide (link above). There are some truly unhappy talk talk customers on there. I didnt want to take the risk of getting traped an 18 month contract.

There customer service is dreadful. I phoned up to cancel and was on the phone for 45 minutes before i finally got through to cancel the subscription. Quite the opposite when you call to sign up BTW, answered almost immediately. I then told the agent i wanted to cancel which he seemed initially reluctant to do. Finally i was told it had been cancelled. 4 days later i get a notification date from BT about transferring my line to talk talk :mad: I call BT and they say they have no record that it has been cancelled. Another 30 mins wait to get through to talk talk - who have no history of me wanting to cancel. I tell them to cancel it immediately. Which they assure me they will.

The problem with this offer is Broadband is considered 'free' - No ground to complain about quality of service if its free. It was going to be a 2 month wait to finally get the broadband due popularity? Whats that about? Restricted P2P usage. Im sorry but who are they to decide what i do with my connection?? 18 month contract is just to long. The worst customer service i've experienced lately, unless you calling to signup to them that is.

Bluevortex.

Most people dont use p2p so for 'light' users this service is fine.
I am sure most internet suppliers probably have horror stories...I had the worst hassle with tiscali ever ...talk talk from my point of view is good value for money for a customer like me (internet use and xbox live)

It may not suit everyone but atleast they tell you p2p doesnt work (tiscali just throttles your connection 24 hours a day once they see you using it)

bluevortex

Baldybouncer said:
Bluevortex.

Most people dont use p2p so for 'light' users this service is fine.
I am sure most internet suppliers probably have horror stories...I had the worst hassle with tiscali ever ...talk talk from my point of view is good value for money for a customer like me (internet use and xbox live)

It may not suit everyone but atleast they tell you p2p doesnt work (tiscali just throttles your connection 24 hours a day once they see you using it)
Yeah i agree with you and im sure for the majority, if the service is good its a great deal. Im not a heavy P2P user but i go through phases of using it. I just dont like the idea they restrict it, i want to have the option. In the end i was put off by the 18 month contract and the 2 month wait for the free broadband. I can't say i was particularly happy with slow customer service either - one of the reasons i migrated away from BT in the first place.

So Tiscali is that bad? My brother in law just signed up with them :rolleyes:

Tiscali are the worst
They billed me incorrectly reguarly
They constantly disconnected the line
when you needed help you where on call for hours...
they constantly suffered from slow speeds
and when you can get rid of them (12months) they hold your line for 30days as they do not migrate so without broadband for nearly 2 months!!

the worst company in the world (behind 3G only just!)

Garrett

They went and allowed an other customer my e-mail address and I was getting private messages for him and took about a week for then to stop his account.

booyaka

off topic !

Tiscali are not bad in terms of actual broadband connection - mine is fairly good - no hassles in terms of 2Mb connection (not sure it's anywhere near 2Mb but heyho)

However - the only time i had to actually speak to customer services it was shockingly bad!!!! No record of the 8 phones i had made, wrong details, wrong information, incorrect billing etc.

4 letters later and i got a responce and money off my bill etc.

Generally they are ok in terms of b/band connection and phone billing etc but the horrors start again when you try and move away from them from what i have heard.

Have considered the Talk Talk deal (dad has signed up to it:eek: - what is it about dads??) but decided that it's better the devil you know!:devil: :devil:

Garrett

booyaka said:
Generally they are ok in terms of b/band connection and phone billing etc but the horrors start again when you try and move away from them from what i have heard.
Just alter you type of package to pay as you use, then dont use.

booyaka

Garrett said:
Just alter you type of package to pay as you use, then dont use.
it was the altering of the package that caused all the problems in the first place!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BiggieBig

thanks for all the response guys

Certainly won't be rushing into it then....

Router doesn't bother me, I have my own.

P2p does I’m not a heavy user but on the odd occasion I may decide I need to download something during the day, which isn’t an option with Talk Talk I believe.

Problem is I’ve been waiting for someone to come up with an equivalent offer but nothing yet……

bluevortex

depsi said:
thanks for all the response guys

Certainly won't be rushing into it then....

Router doesn't bother me, I have my own.

P2p does I’m not a heavy user but on the odd occasion I may decide I need to download something during the day, which isn’t an option with Talk Talk I believe.

Problem is I’ve been waiting for someone to come up with an equivalent offer but nothing yet……
I'm the same as you. I was put off talk talk for reasons already mentioned. I decided to try Eclipse in the end. They do monthly contract so if they turn out to be rubbish i will change to Zen (widely thought of as one of the best providers, apparently). If your looking for broadband/calls package inclusive you may need to be looking at company like Pipex? I think they offer inclusive deals thought i cant vouch for them