Talk Talk... are they really that bad????

Giraffe76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive got some friends who are currrently with sky for their phone and broadband but the problem they are having is that they are using an old NTL phone line which is rubbish quality and are lucky if they get 1MB speed, if sky change the phone line they will be charged somewhere in the region of £150.

They have contacted TALK TALK and are seriously thinking about changing to them as they have said they will change the line for free if they go with them.
All the information i've heard about talk talk is that they have rubbish cutomer service and their product isnt good either... Is this still the case?

Could my friends change to any other ISP and get them to change the phone line for free?

Any information would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Hi all,

Ive got some friends who are currrently with sky for their phone and broadband but the problem they are having is that they are using an old NTL phone line which is rubbish quality and are lucky if they get 1MB speed, if sky change the phone line they will be charged somewhere in the region of £150.

They have contacted TALK TALK and are seriously thinking about changing to them as they have said they will change the line for free if they go with them.
All the information i've heard about talk talk is that they have rubbish cutomer service and their product isnt good either... Is this still the case?

Could my friends change to any other ISP and get them to change the phone line for free?

Any information would be much appreciated

Kind regards

hi ,in my experience ,theres nothing wrong with the talktalk product ,in fact i rate it better than sky for broadband due to sky using MER on there routers(loosing the ability to use your own router)HOWEVER talktalk customer service is diabolical,so bad that i resorted to emailing dido hardings office to get a complaint resolved(in fairness after this email ,i received a call from a very nice lady who sorted the mess out the following day,and placed a substantial credit on my account,and gave me her direct telephone number for future use:)) so all in all product wise talktalk is fine,customer service is a joke

Get the offer in writing from Talk Talk before accepting it.

When choosing your supplier you need to take into consideration what their customer service is like if you have a problem. This is where Talk Talk are let down MASSIVELY. Diabolical is a polite way to describe it. A couple of sentences with lots of 4 letter swear words would be more appropriate. To make clear how bad they really are - In the UK Talk Talk have the most complained about Customers Services by a mile.

Been with them for four years.

I've had a few line faults during that time and it's always been fixed within a few hours. The problem with customer service is mainly down to them having to follow a script.

Calling the automated line is preferable.

i'm seriously considering changing to them myself. they are the only LLU on my exchange so it's BT (who i'm with) or talk talk, and that's it!

i have a friend who is with them in the next town and i have never heard them say their line was down or had no internet.

i get about 13mps with BT, but i assume as it's LLU with talk talk i should get about the same? no limiting by BT?

anyway, cost: paying nearly £30pm with BT with 40gb download limit.
compare that to talk talk, unlimited and under £20pm...

i think i'll be taking the chance to be honest unless BT pull something special out to keep me

I used to be with TT. Had no problem with them ever over 4 years. Only ever got 6mB download speed though. Now with Orange: same speed but cheaper.

no issues in the last 6 months. their online support forum is awesome and is the best way to get issues resolved than phoning CS.

i have no reason to change ISP's

Dal

Been with them from 2005 - 2011 at one address (21.5mbps), 2008 - Present at another (17.8mbps), fantastic ISP, never had any problems at all and can't see me ever leaving them. Also got 3 sets of friends and two sets of grandparents with them as well, none of them have had any problems either.

I'll admit if you have issues the phone support is bad, but that's the same with most companies now (I've found Virgin Media and Sky to be just as bad). However unlike the others talk talks forum is great and they've always sorted everything quickly on there (not problems, just requests like profile changes etc.).

realised the other day that i paid line rental saver in feb for 12 months and it's non refundable, so i was set to lose about £60 if i cancelled.

called BT and got my broadband changed to unlimited usage for £13,25. speeds stays around 14mb. (12month contract)

i'll revert back to normal line rental in feb. i won't be doing line rental saver again, i'll just pay the higher rate until aug 2013, then it's bye bye BT :)

TAlktalk is OK .. never had too many problems with them. yes their Customer servixce is quite rubbish but then I think thats true iof all ISP's Banks etc. I use them from a historical POV as a triple play customer. I like their Tv service, works well but the internet could be faster both up and down. They will throttle you if you download a lot during peak times. I'm tempted by Sky but the cost after the first year would be at least 50+% greater.

No problems with SKy for me, brilliant service.

TalkTalk on the other hand after my experiences with them, I'd go without internet completely if they were my only choice:)

There's one thing you need to consider when thinking about going to TalkTalk and that is the fact that all their UK 1st/2nd line support staff have recently been laid off and the services are being moved to India. So be warned buying a "cheap" service will cost your dear in the long run!!!

I've just taken the plunge and signed for talktalk as they've recently installed their llu kit about local rural exchange. Paid for the line rental upfront and was swayed with the £70 topcashback, £60 lovefilm credit & £25 shopping voucher. Fingers crossed firmly now

I've had the misfortune of phoning their (offshore) customer services once and it was not a pleasant experience - when communicating with the other person is hard work it does not bode well. Think I'll take a tip from previous post and check out an on-line forum. My current problem is trying to register for on-line billing but when I log-on to my account I have "no package" and am unable to do this - anyone have any ideas how to sort this ?
Pete

I've had the misfortune of phoning their (offshore) customer services once and it was not a pleasant experience - when communicating with the other person is hard work it does not bode well. Think I'll take a tip from previous post and check out an on-line forum. My current problem is trying to register for on-line billing but when I log-on to my account I have "no package" and am unable to do this - anyone have any ideas how to sort this ?
Pete

join the members forum and then log a call there with the issue.

it will get resolved alot quicker

The TalkTalk Members Forums

Switched over today without a hitch so no complaints so far. Speed is synching at about the same as on adsl max at around 6 meg but looking at the snr of 12 on the router stats there is room for improvement

Switched over today without a hitch so no complaints so far. Speed is synching at about the same as on adsl max at around 6 meg but looking at the snr of 12 on the router stats there is room for improvement

Give it a few days to settle and then hit the members forum and ask for a profile change :)

w3dal said:
Give it a few days to settle and then hit the members forum and ask for a profile change :)

That's exactly what I plan to do, I used to have a snr of around 4-6 stable but drops of an evening to about 3 when it can become unstable.

Been with Tiscali/Talk Talk for eight years now, had few issues but promptly sorted whether I used the helpline or the forums.
On 23/8 the ageing router failed, I rang the helpline, they checked the line and had me do a few checks to confirm router failure. They passed me over to customer service and they sent me the latest Huawei router free of charge. I received this on the 28th. and considering this was the Bank Holiday weekend I would say that the service was brilliant.
I have the plus package and pay annual line rental,very good value and my call to the technicians was free.
I hope this helps prospective customers.

Talktalk have altered my profile to 6db and synching at 8.eg now, also got code for £60 of lovefilm credit so happy today with talktalk

Have been monitoring download speeds now that the new router has settled in. There has been a 40% increase and now regularly seeing over 13Mb/s.

Now around 14.5 Mb/s for the past couple of days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom