Talk plan/supplier recommendations (eps. Voda)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by AMc, Apr 12, 2005.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    Hi there,

Just had a conversation with CPW/02 about my sky rocketing mobile bills.
    Turns out that I'm being charged for voicemail access and being billed PER MINUTE. So a 10 second VM check is costing one minute at peak rate!
    Needless to say I have my PAC numbers!

I'm looking for talk plans that bill per second and either include VM access in the inclusive minutes or have free VM.
    I've been with T-Mobile and the coverage is poor in my house (ruling out several rebrand providers). I know that Voda coverage is good and 02 is OK (but I now dislike them).

Anyone know where I can do a sensible comparison and not get stitched by the small print (see above).
    I'm looking for 2 contracts around £20pm with around 60 mins and some texts - not too bothered about new handsets but I want to keep the numbers.

Thanks for any help.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
  3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I think you're really only left with Orange (don't even consider 3).

Orange coverage is also hit n miss - T-Mobile are arguably my fav's, although overall I prefer Virgin Mobile :) I set up an "account" for £15, which means although it's technically PAYG, I never top up, rather it's on DD from my bank every month.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    Sorry to be a muppet but why? I've seen some amazing rebate deals £3.99 a month etc.
    On a similar note I assume you can't use a cheap 3 SIM in a non 3G phone and just use the fall back O2 coverage?

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Taking the mick out of my name ;)

3 are ok PROVIDED you don't want to talk to customer services in any shape, size or form. They messed my contract up, they overcharged me and after I told them and got it sorted out, it STILL ended up being wrong. The 3g network piggybacks on to O2 if you can't get a 3 signal (which I never could at home) and coupled with the handsets batteries not lasting very long, it was only a matter of time until I cancelled (12 months). My sister has since tried them and after 5 months wishes to go elsewhere - and we have vastly differing opinions on mobiles!

Orange are ok - but they can also have a bit of a hit/miss signal strength, but then they all do depending on location!

Vodaphone I left for the same reason as 3 - they had to credit me over £100 in overcharging which I wasn't happy about, for some strange reason.

The only network I've NEVER had a problem with is Virgin.

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    It must have subliminally got into my mind as I scanned the page - I genuinely didn't mean to take the mickey!

The comments about 3 and Voda customer service make a lot of sense. I found 02 were pretty poor and really weren't interested in helping me find out why my bills were rising or why my 2 brand new 02 supplied MMS phones weren't capable of making or receiving MMS (they needed to enable the accounts!).
    Had a great experience with one2one then t-mobile until we moved up the road and the coverage in the new house was useless - phones don't even ring :(. Work mobiles are both Voda and work through the house which is a plus.
    Was checking Tesco (02 network) until I saw their 20p a minute flat rate and 89p a minute international rate! At least they bill per second not per minute like 02.
    Was checking out Virgin who were looking good until I remembered they use T-mobile to provide coverage - or in my case no coverage :(

Hmmm can't think what else to try - might get a Virgin SIM and see if it works around the house then ask them to transfer the number if it's OK?

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I heard Virgin are going to be taken over by Voda (although can't remember where) so you may want to consider that ? I actually get a stronger Virgin signal compared to T-mobile at home.

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    Just to close up.
    Bought a line rental rescue kit (Virgin SIM) for £5 with £5 credit. Signal in my house is massively improved so they must have stuck up a new mast nearby.
    Got another one for my partner and arranged porting.
    Set up on a monthly direct debit PAYG scheme and bought a £7.50 bundle of 40minutes.

After the port we had problems setting up voicemail access but an email to Virgin got a prompt and helpful response with our voicemail numbers and how to set them in the phones.

Saved a bundle of cash and very happy customer! Thanks for the recommendation Sadmuppet