Talk me out of buying the C9

ryoukos

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Philips PUS6401 tv from 5 years ago and it's showing it's age (pretty meh image quality, but it was only £500), but works OK, albeit laggy.

I can't help but be hyped for OLED and C9 in particular. We watch movies, stream Netflix, play PS4, connect the PC, so the use case is very mixed.

There's a six month old C9 locally for £900, with JL receipts and warranty for another 4,5 years. Sooo tempted. Should I?

This is an easy one....i will never buy a used C9 ever. I assume this price is for 55 which doesn't make it a bargain too...(if it is a 65, not bad but used comment stand).
Oled is a risk as it is due to burn in. I will be wary even if they write a specific burn in warranty for you.

Now, i will encourage you to buy a new C9 any day of the week and you should see enough bargains this period in particular as they clearing shelves for the new 2020 crops...

Another stuff to try, call around (other JL, Richer sound, ...) and say if they price match the C9. Do not mention it is used, just ask if they match the price and you will buy on the spot. Like i said, price is normal for a 55C9 end of line...thats how i got my pana below £900 too.

This is for a 65” - a 55” would not be an issue.

I bought one of the last B8 from Richer Sounds, there was only shop stock left so I picked it up.

Just not prepared by just how big these things are, especially when boxed.

We drove to the store in one car, thought it would be plenty big enough, had measured before hand but no go, the angles did not work. Had to drive back and return in our other car. Again measured and it looked like it would work, but again angles meant we were actually about an inch too narrow.

Had to take it out the box, smother it in duvets that we had thought to bring along and collapse the box.

Got away with it but it was nerve wracking carrying such a large piece of thin glass unsupported on a 20 mile car journey.

Personally, I would go with the C9, sounds a bargain, but check that you have a vehicle big enough to transport it safely.

Cheers,

Nigel

This is an easy one....i will never buy a used C9 ever. I assume this price is for 55 which doesn't make it a bargain too...(if it is a 65, not bad but used comment stand).
Oled is a risk as it is due to burn in. I will be wary even if they write a specific burn in warranty for you.

Now, i will encourage you to buy a new C9 any day of the week and you should see enough bargains this period in particular as they clearing shelves for the new 2020 crops...

Another stuff to try, call around (other JL, Richer sound, ...) and say if they price match the C9. Do not mention it is used, just ask if they match the price and you will buy on the spot. Like i said, price is normal for a 55C9 end of line...thats how i got my pana below £900 too.
Yes, talking about the 55. Surely I would spot burn in on the screen before handing over the money? After all, it's a saving of £300, which is around 25% off the current going price.

Wouldn't RS ask for a link to price match? 😁

Yes, talking about the 55. Surely I would spot burn in on the screen before handing over the money? After all, it's a saving of £300, which is around 25% off the current going price.

I can't imagine RS price matching without knowing what they are price matching and as soon as you admitted it was second hand they would say no.

Does the seller have a convincing legitimate reason for getting rid of the C9 after just 6 months.

They are cracking TVs so the only reasons I can imagine are 1) there is something wrong with it or 2) they decided it was too big or small for their needs.

Cheers,

Nigel

I can't imagine RS price matching without knowing what they are price matching and as soon as you admitted it was second hand they would say no.

Does the seller have a convincing legitimate reason for getting rid of the C9 after just 6 months.

They are cracking TVs so the only reasons I can imagine are 1) there is something wrong with it or 2) they decided it was too big or small for their needs.

Cheers,

Nigel
Apparently upgraded to 65" and assures the TV is as new (I'd definitely run tests for burn in an dead pixels before buying) Does have some feedback as a seller. Although unwrapping the brand new TV is fun and ES can do £1179, hmmm

Go for it, just do your tests before, grayscales, colour pallets for retention and burn in etc

It would definitely make sense to take a USB stick with some grey scale/colour test slides. Also, find out how you can determine how many hours the TV has been run for.

And no - the likes of John Lewis or Richer Sounds are not going to price-match an individual selling a second-hand TV, so please don't waste your time !

Oled are so thin, they're the same as a razorblade, so when you pick them up they slice through your fingers.

Oled are so thin, they're the same as a razorblade, so when you pick them up they slice through your fingers.

OLED screens are around 5mm thick and rounded at the edges, so I would put the chances of you being able to 'slice through your fingers' with the edge of the screen somewhere around 0%

🤣 Figured as much. Was going to ask if your preference is Gz950..
Not a big enough saving for me vs a brand new c9.

And if you're not too bothered about 2.1 then you could get a brand new gz950 for just £150 more

The used one got sold for 950 and I realised it was 80miles away, so all in all would've cost me £1k. Definitely not worth.

Both GZ950 and C9 new are about £1200, so now it's harder to decide, haha

What ratings.com says

In the opening statement for the C9 they say, “Unfortunately, like all OLED TVs, there's a possibility of experiencing permanent burn-in”
Next in our Verdict they say, “Unfortunately, there's a risk of burn-in”
Next in Pros and Cons they say, “Risk of permanent burn-in.”
Next in permanent burn in risk they give it a 2.0 rating.
Finally the give their overall stance, “Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.”

"Possibility" sounds quite probable based on their 2.0 rating and the fact that they warn you of the possibility of burn in 4 times.

Last edited:
Oled give out lethal omnicron radiation, within a few minutes your DNA is broken down. Similar radiation output to a gamma ray burst.

That's what the O on oled is.

Best not buy a new TV.

Go for a new one.I always think how many years am i going to have the tv and work out the cost per year.LG C9 was £1200 at currys, normally i would have a tv for 5 years.£240 per year for a tv that you use everyday.

rtings.com has reviewed the CX. They still reference their outdated burn in tests (performed with C7 OLEDS) and I think their 2.0 burn in rating may be a little over the top. Hopefully this year they will raise it to a 3.0. They eased up a bit on the way they state the four warnings for permanent burn in. Maybe this is because there are not many reports of burn in on 2018 and newer models. Just a guess.

They say one of the differences 'MAY' be the viewing angle. Their ratings sometimes get a little cluttered. If your not a computer your not going to notice a difference in the viewing angle between the CX and C9.

Sounds like there is not much difference between the C9 and the CX.

Last edited:
Like many told you here, best to buy new C9 or pana oled. Price stabilising at around £1200
Keep your eyes for discount especially this bank holiday week end. You should be able to get them both for £1k or less...
Secondly, shops should open by June hopefully and that will re-stimulate the market as they will have to clear the shelves faster for the 2020 stock...
Considering the covid situation, i can imagine either lots or no stock at all on some TV lines...often E9 is on overstock versus C9 for example...and discounted heavily...

As for burn in, taking a usb to a shop and doing testing will NOT guarantee the tv has been used properly especially on display. Unless it is a massive saving, not worth it.

I'd be very surprised to see it drop to £1k but it would be great if it did. Everywhere seems to be £1299 at the minute

I'd be very surprised to see it drop to £1k but it would be great if it did. Everywhere seems to be £1299 at the minute
You always have occasional special offers during week ends and bank holidays...
This forum and hotUkdeals plus price spy ar your best friends...alongside price match..
Got my Oled pana may 2019 for £899 (price match JL and £600 refund). The 65 reached £1350 but had no space for it sadly....
This was exceptional but again, we are in covid times!!! Everything possible...

If you want to game and watch news channels and panel shows all day, I'd pass on the OLED.

I got a B9 and now I'm getting a Samsung Q80 for my daytime room. 2x as bright and negligible to zero chance of burn in.

If you are only watching movies etc at night, nothing comes close to an OLED.

I have a two year old LG OLED which has burn in from occasional viewing of Sky News, D&G washing their hands of it. If you're willing to risk your cash then it is a difficult picture to beat, but this year's Samsung Q90T can be found for about the same price point (for 55 inch) with cash back on offer from Samsung and grantees against burn in for 10 years. No brainer for me. All reports I've read make me believe that PQ for the QLED is very good with some caveats, but no technology is perfect. You pays your money....

The only issue I have with mine is it doesn't play nice with web pages because of the auto dimming. I have managed to make it less aggressive but it still does it. If you don't plan on using it for a computer monitor or spend a lot of time browsing the internet with it then it shouldn't be an issue.

Also the power cord is kind of short.

Other than that I like mine, but I have only had it less than a week.

Oh, and the LG customer service are a bunch of morons. I called them about the auto dimming issue and they told me my tv was broke and needed serviced. When I asked to talk to a technician they told me no. She told me talked to a tech while I was on hold. She didn't, she forgot to put me on hold and I could hear her in the background lol. Then she said a tech would call me back. nobody did. I had to come here and the AVS forums to get the help I needed. My tv isn't defective, it is doing what it was supposed to do to preven burn in. I just don't like that feature.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom