Talk Me Out Of An All In One

simonlpearce

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a 5.1 3D HD setup for my lounge. Currently i have been leaning towards an All In One system as they are nice and compact and more importantly dont take up loads of space. This is particularly important as i will be fitting it in my false chimney (yet to be built) but wont have a great deal of room below the TV as i want to keep the TV as low as possible, and dont fancy putting it above as the mrs is a short arse!

Here are a couple of the systems i am interested in...

Samsung HT-ET5550
Samsung HT-E5550 5.1 3D BLU-RAY & DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM review cheap prices HT-E5550 5.1 3D BLU-RAY & DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM Samsung best buy discount online uk shop

Panasonic SC-BTT490EBK
PANASONIC SC-BTT490EBK 5.1 3D Blu-ray Home Cinema System buy online | Currys

Id say my budget is no more than £500. I dont mind looking on ebay and getting seconds, for example i like the look of the KEF PSW 3000 sub and Q Acoustic Centre & Surrounds, but wouldnt have a clue where to start with a receiver...

Also whats the deal with most All In One jobbies being around 1000watt but most AV receivers only being around 100watt per channel (Circa 500watt total + sub)???

As you can see im a little conflicted and would appreciate some pointing in the right direction.:lease:

In answer to your last question, no AIO will ever do 1000watts.
A. Power consumption usually <200watts, therefore 1000watts breaks the laws of physics.
B. They are rated along the lines of 6 speakers / 1000watts = 166watts each, therefore 6 * 166 = 1000. BUT only one speaker will ever produce 166watts. i.e. 1 channel driven.
Low to mid end AV recievers would rate with spare based on 2 channels driven and a lot of high end AV amps would have power supplies rated in excess of the all 5 or 7 channels.
Example my Cambridge Audio 540R quotes 100watts per channel all channels driven (5) and has a 850 watt power supply.

If you want an all in one then go to richer sounds they do cheap speaker and receiver packages will be a world better than an AIO

All in ones are a good one box solution..but severely limit your upgrade path..With a separate dedicated av amp you can build off it and have a far superior system that will last you many years & give you many more years of listening pleasure...

Last edited:
So without really listening I have taken a punt on a Sony STRDH810 AV Receiver. I know it's not the latest model but it's 7.1 and has 3d capability so should at least get me going in the world of separates. Am thinking of going with some Q Aqoustics centre and rears, a kef psw 3000 sub and I am yet to decide on fronts but am leaning towards a set of floor standers.

What are people's thoughts?

You should try and keep the fronts and centre the same brand and model ! So look at q acoustics floor standers!

Also in reply to all in ones having 1000w take a look at the power supply spec in one I'm sure its no where near 1000w infact you would struggle to fit a 1000w power supply in the case.

Ok cool, will have a look at fronts and centres see what I can find the same.

Have you looked into a great satellite / sub package like the KEF 1005 or 2005 to go with the amp? Compact speakers and great quality compared to an all in one

Have just had a look at the kef stuff but I'm not overly keen on the styling. I prefer square looking bookshelf style speakers for centre n rear which is why I was looking at the Q Acoustic stuff.

simonlpearce said:
Have just had a look at the kef stuff but I'm not overly keen on the styling. I prefer square looking bookshelf style speakers for centre n rear which is why I was looking at the Q Acoustic stuff.

For the price point you wont get much better than the Q Acoustics. if you like them. Go for them. Just make sure you get the fronts and centre =)

And what about the KEF PSW range of subwoofers? I have heard read that when they work they are pretty decent, but they are very prone to failure...Is that all just internet hype or are they genuinely not that reliable?

Is there any other sub around the £150 mark that as worth considering? As said before i dont mind scouring ebay :)

The wharfdale sw150 is good for about that price try looking at superfi they used to sell them cheap !

Back on to matching fronts...

Can i mix models from the same manufacturer, for example the Q Acoustic 1000c centre and Q Acoustic 2010 L/R?

I will prob go for 2010's front and rear, with a view to upgrade the fronts at a later date when funds allow.

simonlpearce said:
Back on to matching fronts...

Can i mix models from the same manufacturer, for example the Q Acoustic 1000c centre and Q Acoustic 2010 L/R?

I will prob go for 2010's front and rear, with a view to upgrade the fronts at a later date when funds allow.

You can.

Many Q acoustic 2000 packages upgrade the front left and right to the 2020. All the same just bit bigger.

Its only rears that you have flexibility of make on as they dont handle music normally and are there for ambient noise.

Your front speakers are your main sound stage. They should be the same to harmonise properly. The parts are all the same, of same quality and all set to work flawlessly with each other.

Ok great, thanks for all the help. As you can probably tell im a little new to all this so the feedback so far is massively appreciated.

Will get a build thread going over the next few weeks once my pal comes in to sort the fireplace out.

simonlpearce said:
Ok great, thanks for all the help. As you can probably tell im a little new to all this so the feedback so far is massively appreciated.

Will get a build thread going over the next few weeks once my pal comes in to sort the fireplace out.

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom