1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk me into getting a new sub....

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, May 2, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have a paradigm pdr 10 sub at the moment, i am a little unwilling to pay more for a sub than my frount speakers cost.

What subwoofer could i get thats good for movies and music ?

Is a rel q150 a good upgrade for £375 second hand ?

will i really notice a difference between a £150 paradigm sub and a £375 rel sub ?

thanks

2. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    There's definitely room for improvement from a PDR 10, but I don't think a REL Q150 is the right way to go about it. I've borrowed one for a home demo and it was inferior to my REL Q50 in every way. I ended up with a Velodyne CHT15 that is absolutely superb, and the improvement it offers over the REL is huge. So my personal recommendation would be a Velodyne CHT-10. I'm about to order one myself for my dad.

BTW, there's also an immaculate REL Q50 on eBay at the moment (it's mine!).

3. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Godfather, yes ive seen it on ebay, you sent me some pics yesterday. Thanks for that.

The sub looks a bit odd though, with the power and phono connectors on the same end as the subwoofer speaker, which way round do you have the sub ?

I am interested in it, do you take paypal ? Little short of funds , put it on the credit card !

Thanks

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Q50 is a great sub. I think I'd actually take it over a VX-10 (sshhh... don't tell Eric!). :D

MuFu.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The speaker driver and controls all face the wall so none of it is on display. You won't find many people who will say anything bad about this sub and you have to spend considerably more to buy the next step up the ladder from it.

6. ronsealdeath

ronsealdeath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    take a trip to sevenoaks or eq. and try a REL quake man, i heard one with a fairly eq. system to yours and it charges!!
    cant hurt to try?
    ps do you need a sub ? think about what films you watch , is it worth the money you could spend on DVD's?
    its about the film NOT the system, sorry to be negative but i found i watxch films and think "does it sound good?" these days when i should just be watching the film.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a REL Storm and only watch the film.

The disadvantage for jonnyv in taking a trip to Sevenoaks and trying a Quake is that it would cost £5 in petrol and parking and that money would be be better put towards the costs of a new DVD.

The Quake and the Q50 aren't in the same league.

8. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think a good sub makes a lot of difference to the enjoyment of SOME films, I had (have spare for sale) a REL Storm sub which just didn't do it for me, so I bought 2 servo 15's and haven't looked back - nothing can trouble this sub, no running to the gain to turn it down because it cant handle the low bass frequencies which then ruins the film.
    Spend as much as you can so you dont need to upgrade in a hurry! Size does matter.

Good luck

Dave