tale of woe

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rochdale, May 26, 2002.

1. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I once bought a Sony 7700 dvd player, I loved it. Fantastic picture quality, excellent build quality and gorgeous drop down front panal that hid the buttons and the dvd tray. *dribble*

Unfortunately the girlfriend decided that one night she would leave the security locks on the living room window unlocked.

My 7700 got stolen and my insurance company sent me an ns900 as a replacement because the 7700 had been discontinued. Woe is me.

The 900 is OK but it doesn't have the looks or the build quality of the 7700. It plays SACD and CD-R and all that stuff I'll never use and it's supposed to have 'faster' doohickys inside. I just don't like it as much.

I miss my 7700 :(

Also, the ns900 doesn't seem to handle layer changing as well as the 7700.

Is there a dvd player out there that doesn't suffer from the layer changing pause? You'd think someone could stick a bit of memory in there to buffer the data.

Or would anyone want to swap their dirty old mint condition 7700 for my nice clean silver ns900? :D ;)

Could also throw one non home security minded girlfriend into the bargain, I'd have to warn anyone interested that the weight is quite high and so postage would be expensive.

2. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rochdale,

Get yourself a Tosh SD900 from LEConcepts. Nice gold finish like your 7700, nice loading mechanism like your 7700 and a speedy layer change like your 7700. In fact, the Tosh probably exceeds expectation on all comparisons with your old 7700 and has stonking PQ into the bargain.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how come your insurance co. didn't replace your 7700 with the sony 9000es which is sonys nearest equivalent. did you push them? happy ns900 owner but understand your chagrin.

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I arrange a demo?

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion balti, mmm, balti.... I'll take a look at it.

I may stick with the ns900 for a while and maybe get a dvd recorder in a few months or one of those dvd-r/hd recorder combination machines if they are any good.

I thought that the 9000es was the nearest replacement, but the insurance company disagreed with that, apparently 'nearest' replacement on a new for old policy is the nearest thing at or below the cost of the item you lost.

I could have a good rant about insurance companies right now, but I'll restrain myself. Needless to say I can see why people generally try and rip the insurance company off when they claim, the insurance company will undoubtably try to do the same to you so there needs to be a balance :)

Do you have a 7700 to trade? :)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he meant the girlfriend :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your loss :(

7. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah I know, if he's got a 7700 to trade I'd consider allowing the girlfriend demo :)

This demo would consist of her opening your house windows and then forgetting to lock them afterwards :D