1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the Plunge!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CrispyXUK, Mar 17, 2004.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

Tonight I shall be ordering my Panny AE300 from Komplett :clap:

Panny will be connected to my HTPC via VGA (unless you guys recommend DVI) and was just wondering if I need a Male/Male cable or a Male/Female as I cant find any info about the panny's vga port :(

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    15 pin male!
    Congrats on joining the club by the way :clap:

I'd be interested if anyone is using DVI into the 300 as well, presumably from a v880 as it has a special 768 output, anyone :smoke:

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the reply mate, but do you mean male to male? or male to female?

Sorry I feel a bit dumb today

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No possibility of 1:1 mapping via either VGA or DVI with the AE300 so not the best choice in terms of a HCPC source :(

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer, while you're technically correct that 1:1 mapping isn't achievable perfectly, it is acheivable in the sense that the scaler is bypassed and playing DVDs achieves the corresponding picture quality improvements.

Yes, a Windows desktop will show slight banding, IMX there were two vertical bands where the pixels got slightly distorted, but playing DVDs using either PowerDVD or TheaterTek these bands were completely undetectable.

That was using VGA, I never tried DVI when I had my 300, fed using 960x540 from Powerstrip and a Radeon 9600.

6. am1001aa

am1001aa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kramer

I'm getting an AE500 - will that do 1:1 pixel mapping with a HTPC? I used to have an AE100 that was very sharp with 1:1.
    I found the picture to be considerably better with HTPC with 1:1 mapping rather than component output of the dvd player.

cheers

am1001aa

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Kramer & Kragorn,

Two vertical bands? how big and were would they be? my screen will only be 142cm wide so would this reduce any effects like this?

damn im paranoid now, but at least a have a prog-scan DVD player if all else fails

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Sorry mate typically male to male.

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    been looking on avstuff.net & there seems to be alot of different settings I could use in powerstrip, obviously I will have a play around but are any other AE300 users found any particular resolution to be the best for them?

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    A lot of user settings here you can try, wish I could go the htpc route but just not practical for me :(

Good luck!

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, let me allay your fears. :)

First, they are only discernible when viewing a Windows application in which there's a lot of text .. the point here is that you have black single-pixel lines (the characters) on a white background.

The 'banding' I'm referring to is nothing like the VB reported on Z2s, AE500s etc., in stead it's a 'fattening' of the pixels slightly which causes the black lettering to thicken a bit. The result is the lettering takes on a slightly bold appearance, mitigated to some degree by the AE300's screendoor-eliminating feature.

Believe me, when viewing a movie, or even a static JPG image, these pixel distortions just can't be seen. There are 3 or 4 different Powerstrip settings that achieve 'almost' 1:1 mapping, some give more banding than others, one I think creates a 4-pixel 'frame' without banding, I have never seen anyone report that this banding can be seen viewing images.

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    cool

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kragorn,

If fed its native resolution of 960x540 & effectively 1:1 pixel mapped, no banding or distortion should be visible using the DILA test pattern.

What makes you so sure the scaler is/was bypassed? Where was the banding coming from?

There's no such thing IMO as "nearly" 1:1 pixel mapping. It either is or isn't. If banding/distortion is visible on a Windows desktop then obviously a DVD picture will also have it. Whether or not this is visible to the viewer is down to the viewer.

am1001aa,

Yep, the AE500 being a 1280x720 res PJ does facilitate 1:1 pixel mapping.

:smoke:

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    does 1280x720 look anygood on the AE300?

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This banding was commonly referred to in the AVS threads I reads last year when I had the 300, as well as being mentioned on some Aussie board I think it was where I got some PStrip settings to try.

I have no idea the cause of this, it was minor and I defy anyone to say they can see the effect in the normal viewing position when viewing anything other than black/white images .. no matter how good their eyesight. :)

When I say 'nearly' I am referring to this slight abberation, and thereby agreeing with your statement that you can't get 1:1 mapping in fact, though in practice the difference is moot IMHO.

It was most definitely 1:1 in that each pixel in the image was wholly contained in 1 pixel on the screen .. evidenced by the pin-sharp text display except in these two narrow bands. One thing I only just remembered though, with the values I used the bottom 4 pixels of the desktop were lost, even though the resolution was the supposed 960x540 of the 300's panel.

I really can't explain why 1:1 isn't possible, all I know is someone on AVS reported a Panny tech. saying it couldn't be, however my HTPC certainly gave 1-pixel-per-pixel output and the PQ was correspondingly crisp .. well, as crips as an AE300 can be. ;)