1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

taking the plunge panny th-42pwd6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bisher, May 15, 2004.

1. bisher

bisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys

i'm going to buy a panasonic th-42pwd6 next week and just want to ask a few questions.

i have found one at nexnix that comes with either a TY-42TM6Y Component / Composite Video Board or a TY-42TM6TB Scart 21pin RGB Terminal board.

now i am not to clued up on plasmas and until yesterday and after reading some of the posts here i thought they come with scart sockets. but now i know most don't.

if i was going to go for one of these options basically which is best. does the Scart 21pin RGB Terminal board come with one or several sockets.

equipment to plug in will be:

sony dav-sc8 dvd
    humax 5400 digital sat receiver
    free view box
    and video

i understand that i can loop most of these through the sc8.

i have read quite a lot here on plasmas so have not tried to be lazy and dive in with a question on my 1st post.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

bisher

2. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    bisher,

firstly the scart board is single so you need some form of scart switching.

Not too glued up about your Av system DAV-SC8 if this supports RGB scart inputs then this will replace your scart controller below. Also I assume it has no component out..

DVD, sat, freeview into a scart controller
    Scart controller into a JS RGBtoVGA converter
    RGBTOVGA converter to plasma via VGA cable....

hmm not to sure how video would fit in here
    Could purchase the Scart Board and connect the video straight to the scart board...

Alternativily you could plug everything into the scart controller and then straight to panny scart board.

Bear in mind that most people say that the Scart on this display is a little soft and there's a worth while improvement purchasing a JS RGB2VGA converter and going into the VGA socket...

I've gone down this route and must say the freeview pic is stunning... But then I did never compare SCART RGB for my self...

hope this helps in some way...

3. bisher

bisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    depsi

thank you for the reply

am i right in thinking that if i got this setup with the scart option that i would be able to use it straight away just by plugging in say the dvd or the freeview through their own scart socket.

this way i can get myself other equipment like scart controllers later.

as i say the dvd has plenty of inputs and i could run everything through that straight into the plasma.

cheers

bisher

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Best to try and get the whole system set up to give the best picture from the start. For that, if the DAV-SC8 has RGB SCART and and out, then connect this via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit to the screen's PC input. This will give you a very sharp and crisp picture.

The video can go in to the existing SCART input of the screen, or if it comes with the terminal board, via a SCART to phono lead.

See the Plasma Screen Interfacing guide in the Technical section of the website.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. Noonzio

Noonzio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, after about 3 months reading this forum I finally took the plunge and bought a plasma. Originally it was going to be a 32 inch so I was going for the new Hitachi 32PD5200 from Richer Sounds in Belfast. After marking the size out on my wall I decided a 32 inch would look like a joke so changed my mind to a 42" . . here the choice became more complicated, it was between a Fujitsu, the Hitachi 42PD5100 or the Panasonic 42PWD6B. Went to check out the Hitachi in Harvey Norman here in Dublin and thought it was fantastic - Harvey Norman salesperson really knew his stuff and they had a great range of plasma's on show. He admitted the Hitachi was their best seller but that the Panny was probably that little bit better.

Hitachi was 5000 euro (about 3300 pounds) and Panny would have been around 5500 euro so there was no way I was buying from them anyway.

My parents have had Panasonic products for years and I have a Panny SCHT500 at the moment so decided to go for the PW6. Checked out both www.av-sales.co.uk and www.nexnix.co.uk and eventually Nexnix agreed to give me the PW6 for a price which I would feel embarrassed to mention . . because it was so GOOD!!

Dealt with Matt and Russ in Nexnix and received my plasma within 24 hours of giving them my credit card details. They checked the unit for defects or dead pixels before shipping it to me so I knew it would be perfect when I set it up.

Didn't have any proper cables to set it up last night with the terrible Video In/Out cable that came with my home cinema system - and the picture from the DVD is amazing. Checked out Old School, Cliffhanger and Jerry Maguire and all are superb. Have just ordered a top quality s-video cable from TV-Cables so that's how I'm going to hook the DVD to it. Getting Sky Digital next week so will either pass the DVD through it (and then digibox via s-video) or component the digibox in separately.

Can't say enough good things about Nexnix or the Panny PW6.

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Bisher

As far as I can see your DAV-SC8 System has one SCART Out socket - the socket will pass Composite, S-Video or RGB.

Your DAV-SC8 is not an ideal Video Hub for your multi source system.

Your Humax, Freeview and DAV all have the ability to output RGB on SCART and this will give you the best picture quality.

Your VCR will either output Composite or S-Video depending on its vintage and quality.

So you now have two Video signal types to get into your proposed Display.

The three RGB Sources can be connected to a sub £100 RGB compatible SCART switch (with IR control) and then either direct to a SCART terminal board in the Display or via a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter into the Displays VGA socket.

Using the JS Technology option will produce a sharper picture and whilst the converter is near £150.00 you wont then require a SCART board so order the Display without that Option.

To connect the VCR you will require the Composite video Board installed in the Display - though keep in mind once you set your Sources to RGB you will only have an RF connection between your Sources and the VCR; personally I ditched the VCR a long time ago and use a DVR or the Hard Drive in the SKY+ (makes life much simpler not having to mess about with Video tapes).

Best regards

Joe

8. bisher

bisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for all the replys guys

i went to nexnix yesterday and had a chat with russell who set me straight on a few of the questions i had to ask.

appreciate all the help.

cheers

bisher