1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the end off a squart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stereo Steve, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I need a 10m scart lead from DVD/sat/PS2 to my LCD TV and I'm thinking of investing in something decent. I have seen a 10m QED Squart lead whihch looks the business but the problem is, I need to pass it through length of doestic waste pipe (about 2") that I have channeled into the wall (TV is wall mounted).

How easy is it to remove a plug from one end of a squart and then replace again. I don't wand to spend £100 odd and find I can't do it.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Stereo Steve

Its a two minute job to take the hoods off of a SQART cable - there are two Alan head screws that once removed allow you to dismantle the clam shell; though keep in mind you'll have the locking collar still on the cable and you'll want to give the connector bloc a bit of protection when pulling it through your cable runs.

Best regards

Joe

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Joe, I don't think the block will go through the pipe either (will be tight as it has a 90 degree bend at the top. I guess it might just. How about removing the individual terminals from the block? I think I'll try taking the cover off a cheap scart and see if I can get it through before I invest in a 10m one.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It fits just! Not sure if I'd ever be able to pull it back through though. Thanks Joe, never thought to try that. I'll think of something to protect it all, maybe some not very stick tape.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Steve

LX tape wrapped around the connector usually works and sometimes a bit of Vaseline or similar over the LX tape will help it along the pipe chase; a bit messy but easily cleaned up and far easier than trying to re solder one of these cables.

Best regards

Joe