1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking plasma from UK to US???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chestrockwell, Jul 11, 2004.

1. chestrockwell

chestrockwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a new TV and am trying to convince myself (and me lady) that plasma is the right way to go. The tie breaker is whether or not we can take it to the US if/when we move back (likely not for a couple of years).

Every salesperson I have spoken to says the monitors (sans tuner) will work in the US with an external source (such as Direct TV) as long as they are multi-region. Specifically, I have been told this about the Hitachis (PD5200 or 5300), the LGs, and others. Are they just trying to sell me the TV, or is there merit to this?

I am not looking to break the bank - just looking for something in the £2000 range that will give me good performance (I am not a technophile, so my main criteria are look crisp and not break), that I can take to the US in a couple of years. Any advice you can give would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

2. wiz

wiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,735
    Surely you'd be better off buy one out there :thumbsup:

3. chestrockwell

chestrockwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but I don't think they sell multi-region in the US, and I need it in London for the time-being. Plus, they nail you for duty and VAT when you ship anything into the UK.

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most business models are multi-system in USA, at least you get a 50" HD plasma for nearly nothing compared to the prices in Europe.

5. chestrockwell

chestrockwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't think the duty and VAT I'll get charged will make up for it?

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy a plasma in U.K if you know you are moving back to the USA, i wouldn't do that.

Use what you got now and then buy the plasma when you are settled in USA....

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i wasn't thinking about that, yes probably the duties and VAT will make it the same as in Europe.

It's true that most panels in Europe can take NTSC so you can use it in USA for sure.

Just make sure the plasma can accept multi-voltage(110/120/230/240Volts)

Buy one without the tuner and you are safe, the tuner will NOT work in USA.

8. chestrockwell

chestrockwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated.

9. Nigelinuk

Nigelinuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will my 12 month old Panasonic TH-42PX70B work in the US and if so what will I need to do. (i've read up step up / step down transformers but also want to know about signal compatability etc etc. :) )