1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking pictures at a concert

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dejongj, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,787
    I'm not going to many pop or any type of concerts, but next week I am going to SummerPops in Liverpool with my wife to see Anastacia...

Is it generally accepted to take a dSLR with you, and also to have my external flash on it? Or do you think they object against it?

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    depends, many (as in the majority of venues) ban proffesional photography gear, i.e digital cameras, video cameras etc from the stalls/audience - therefore it probably wont get you too far, depends on the venue. most dont care about small cameras as the pictures you'll get are crap, but waving a DSLR and associated zoom lens especially at an international artist gig wouldnt go down to well without a photopass. at the best no one will notice, at the worst you'll get kicked out/have your equipment confescated whcih wouldnt go down well with the wife

even with a photopass you'd be restricted to 3 songs no flash at most venues with most artists

what venue is it at?

i wouldnt take my dslr to a gig that i didnt have a photopass for. its not worth, it, pack the compact and hope the shots come out, and more importantly enjoy the gig!

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,787
    I had that thought and you confirmed it....It is at a temporarily venue in Liverpool, they do it every summer, a month with some really great artists...I'm sad I couldn't get tickets for Diana Ross or James Brown...Its generally very intimate and tame with some great music...

I saw Graig David last year, and Lady Smith BM the year before....

I think I'll take my wife's little sony compact, hopefully I still get a good picture out of it as it is the only subject I can think of fitting this months competition...

One up for the compact zoom brigade ;-)

4. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My wife and I went to see Wet Wet Wet at the summer pops last sunday, and I saw plenty of compact cameras and camera phones, but the only dslrs that I saw were being used at the front of the stage by authorised photogs, and there were plenty of flashes going off, and no one seemed to be bothered.

Is anyone in the merseyside locality going to shoot the Hub festival on Saturday and sunday, its free and is the biggest celebration of street culture in the uk, it has bands, skateboarding pro's and bmx pro's..it is going to be pretty cool. check it

http://www.liverpool08.com/root/events/hub_fest.asp

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,787
    I've heard it is really good...I tend to be in Liverpool for work two/three days a week, so I am glad to go back home in the weekends...So no I won't be going

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I agree that the chances of getting away with a dSLR is small. I've got tickets to Queen+PR on Friday and was thinking about taking my 350D as was sent an e-mail from Queen Online saying they wanted picture from those in the audience, but the chances are it will be compacts allowed only.

If you do use the dSLR then forget the external flash. I've never seen the pro's useing a flash and the stage lighting is going to be far more powerful than even the most expensive/powerful camera mounted flash and therefore will make no difference. I've used a 35mm SLR in the past at concerts without a flash and still got some excellent pictures.

Mark.

7. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    sometimes flash works great, ive used it a few times but only with local bands that ive asked if its ok first, really really could have done with it at idlewild but the three songs no flash rule means that you dont have enough time to even think!

8. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But sometimes they don't seem to care :)

My wife is a Ronan Keating fan - to an embarrasing degree. Once a year I get dragged along kicking and screaming :rolleyes:

Yesterday (Friday) it was to Newmarket racecourse with evening races admission included. So I took my camera. Thought the 70-200 might attract attention and be a bit much to carry round so I only took the Tamron 28-75 and a 1.4x cheapo telecon.

Taking pictures of racing horses is damn near impossible. At the fence they are no more than 10 foot away and you are crowded by people screaming at them :rotfl:

I noticed the Pros were over the other side of the track where they had a better angle + no people (and big white lenses).

Anyway heres the best of a bad horsey bunch:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there was the concert. Mrs was patiently waiting at the barrier so I pushed my way through to her not expecting to be able to use my camera without getting an angry steward after me.
    The concert started and the sea of little cameras came out and the stewards ignored even the big silver ones with largish lenses. So I thought lets see what happens. Answer - nothing. There was I mid front stage with 20D in hand snapping away with a steward 6 feet away not caring at all. I kept expecting someone to pounce but nothing.

The lighting was truly awful. This guy spent an hour pre show aiming the lights but they were in the wrong places to light RK properly. He also had his safety harness clipped to his waisband more often than the gantry:-

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of show pictures:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amid all the drooling women I noticed a few other guys standing with thier arms folded looking round :rotfl:

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I decided against taking my 350D to the Queen+PR concert at Hyde Park as I didn't want to risk not getting in or having the camera taken off me. But when I arrived there were loads of SLR's being used, and I now wish I had taken it. But at least I got to see the show rather than just viewing it through a camera lens, as has been the case in the past with me :rolleyes:

Mark.

10. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    yeh ditto, the 3songs no flash rule means that i get to see lots of gigs for free :)

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some good stuff there Robert.

The one of Ronan on his own is great.

12. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Here are two shots that I took today at the hub festival in liverpool today, they have been cropped heavily and I managed to take about 6 shots when the foulmouthed singer of CHEMICAL, decided that he was going to chuck co co cola over everyone...crap band..crap music..what a disapointment and man, is that lead singer UGLY..I should enter him in the strange competition.
    but I got some great bmx and sk8ter shots and a few nice sk8ter girl shots.

Attached Files:

13. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thats half the fun of gig photography, avoiding what the band throws at you, and also what the crowd can throw at you - beer, fags, sweat, glasses, bodies etc

im really looking forwards to live in the park next saturday, 11 bands in prestons avenham park, all day for free :)

this shot i took yesterday on prestons flag market, its just crying out for a fisheye :D

Attached Files:

14. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    there were some great bands on the hub today, but after the cola incident, I stayed far away from the stage...there was some expensive glass there though, one woman who was obviously a seasoned pro, had 2 canons draped around her neck with what looked like the hubble telescope attached to one of them, but I suppose the pro cameras just need hosing down after a gig, to remove all of the blood and snot:)

15. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,787
    I went to Anastacia last night with my wife...All I can say is WOW!!! She is fantastic! I was a little worried about it being too girly, but (as she calls herself) this chick rocks...She is absolutely tiny and very fit with a fantastic voice and show...

There was a big sign at the door that 'professional' camera's, video and audio recorders were not allowed...That leaves it wide open to interpretation, so I am glad I didn't bring my camera and enjoyed the concert....I was just a bit annoyed by seeing all these video phones with there lcd screens being held up...Considering how low the resolution is and with no zoom those people just end up with a nasty picture and sore arm...

But anyway, I can really recommend to anyone to go and see her in concert...