Taking on an Apprentice, would you?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

My business is small business IT services, 75% of the people who matter the most to my business are middle aged women.
I've watched middle aged women blush as they pass him the money for a pint of milk, he caught me grinning at this one morning and told me "I get it all the time."

Ask any good looking IT support guy about working in offices full of older women and he'll have a dozen 'I've got a man under my desk/between my legs' stories to tell.

They do it too, its not just us. :smashin:

Ha, very true. A couple of years ago, my boss says to me, “mjn, why when i look over at you do you have a collection of women chatting to you?” :laugh:

Then there is the, “my hands are full, could you swipe my pass on the door access please?” The door pass was on her neck chain resting on her boobs :eek:

I have just come to the end of my apprenticeship. After years of working in the building trade and driving machines on building sites I wanted a change. I put myself through my AAT level 2 in the evenings while working in the quarry. Then I took an apprenticeship in an local accountancy firm to do my level 3.

I have literally had no end of trouble from the apprenticeship, poor communication, incompetent trainers from college, my work has had to provide me with a day off a week which is fine while attending college but from July - December I still had to have a day off a week to keep my 20% off the job training up, from an apprentice point of view I would stay away from them. I have passed all my exams and finished the course completely now but I still have the apprenticeship to pass as it is not completed.

I have decided to move onto Level 4 AAT which I am doing on day release from work. Unfortunately having to fund this myself as work still think the apprenticeship program is a good idea. I will have my level 4 in 12 months doing it my way but if I done it on the apprenticeship program it would be 18-24 months.

Thanks for that, I was hoping to get some feedback from the other side of the fence. :smashin:

===

Maybe a traditional 'in house' apprenticeship is the way to go after all, it'd go some way to explaining why I don't know anybody who's gone the college route with their lads?

Keep 'em coming folks, I'm not in any rush to decide anything so the more info the better. :)

Didn't work out well for these two:

8dc615e633cacc93c0632c4bcbfca4d4.jpg

Definitely a concern. Stories don't write themselves, as they say. :)

What are you actually trying to achieve here (on a more selfish level)?

You clearly think he's capable and has the right attitude for this kind of work, so...
Do you want to nab him and help him develop so that he becomes a partner in crime of sorts?
Do you want to help him develop just because you're nice?
How much extra work / 'inconvenience' are you happy to put up with (admin work, etc)?

I think the rest of the points (logistics, experiences etc) are being handled by others already, you just need a bit of a push with your indecision :D

Then there is the, “my hands are full, could you swipe my pass on the door access please?” The door pass was on her neck chain resting on her boobs :eek:

"Oh no, my hands are full too, looks like I'm going to have to grab it with my lips. Whoops, dropped it, let me try again." :cool:

(Kenneth? Where are you?)

Do you want to nab him and help him develop so that he becomes a partner in crime of sorts?
Do you want to help him develop just because you're nice?
How much extra work / 'inconvenience' are you happy to put up with (admin work, etc)?

Yes, Yes, and 'who knows?' would be my honest answers. :D

It's really the 'who knows' part that prompted the thread.
I'm also rarely in the same place for more than a few hours at a time, so the college inspection/assessment side of things could well be a nightmare?

Most of my customers are tradesmen or farmers and everyone I've asked is just doing the internal apprenticeship route, rather than through college with funding.
Maybe the herd are on the right path on this occasion?

It's starting to feel like I'll be taking papa bear out for a curry sometime soon and see what I can negotiate. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom