1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking my TV to the States

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by GerdanJ, Dec 2, 2003.

1. GerdanJ

GerdanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sod's law: I ummed and ahhed about which TY to buy and just bought the Sony 32DX150 after trying and not liking the Philips pixel plus. Love the Sony - great all round. BUT my company has just decided to move me out to the States. Can I take my Sony with me? Will it work if I get a transformer for the voltage?

If not - how and where do I sell a 2 month old brilliant TV at a good price!

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately the tuner won't work but you should be able to use it to watch prerecorded material as long as the TV is happy with a 60Hz AC supply (transformers only convert the voltage).

Best option is to buy a set there.

Your could try selling it on the classifieds forum.

:)

p.s. Enjoy the US!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Assuming that you convert the voltage (it is unlikely to object to the 60hz mains frequency) AND assuming that it is NTSC compatible then you will be able to use it with any locally-bought external source such as a set top box, VCR (which you might use as a tuner as well as for playing and recording tapes), DVD etc - provided that these devices are connected up using a Video, SVideo or RGB connection.

You should note that SCART connectors are peculiar to Europe so, if your TV has only this type of input on it, you should take with you a supply of SCART > RCAphono/SVideo adaptors, as you won't be able to buy these over there.

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Consider yourself lucky!

Sell the tv, in the states where electronics are around 30-50% (depends e.g. on which state as the VAT varies between 4-9% I think, as well as the population and thereby competition, not to forget the huge competition on the net) cheaper you could probably get a nice 40"> HDTV in various screen technologies, or a projector and then link it up to your DVI dvd player or HTPC.

The options are endless, start reading in avsforum!

Wasabi

5. samsp

samsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now live in the states. The reason I am lurking here is I was looking at getting a TV for my parents for Christmas.

Anyway, it looks like things are about 1.5-2 years behind in the UK compared to the US. Sell your tube TV before you come over. Start looking on avsforum [the US equivelent of this site], and look at plasmas, Samsung rear proection DLP, Sony LCD projection, and the small DLP proectors.

You'll also find other things are different. Progressive scan DVD has become the norm. Most TV's in stores are HD capable [don't have the tuner, but can handle 540p, 720p, 1080i].

Oh yeah, also look at DirecTivo - satellite TV with Tivo. The only way you would seperate me from mine is by ripping it from my cold dead hands.

Sam