Taking back Sony EX500 - Help with a different TV please

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Toadus, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Toadus

Toadus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Hey.

It's been quite some time since I posted on this forum, but it's nice to be back. :hiya:

I've recently moved from good old Blighty, and I'm now out in Dubai!

I thought I'd get back into the game of owning a half decent TV once again, (I sold my previous TVs: Samsung LE40A656 and Panasonic G15 before coming out here) and went out and bought a Sony KDV-46EX500. I believe this model is typically named as KDL-46X503U back home, correct? Something similar I think anyway...

I've only had the TV a couple of days, and almost immediately I picked up on the 'banding' issue this particular Sony model seems to suffer from. There's a few horizontal stripes of discolouration which are very noticeable during panning shots. Some are darker and one rather large one, about 3" deep, is actually brighter, and rather annoying. After doing some searching, I found many, many people reporting the same issue on this forum.

In light of this, I think I'm going to try a different TV, as opposed to returning this faulty one, and getting one back with exactly the same problem. Problem is, I'm really lost, as the TVs out here seem to have rather different model names than what I'm used to back home.

Here is a link to the shop where I bought the Sony from: Carrefour :: IC4UAE - Subcategory : TV & Panels Screens

That link shows all the LCDs and LEDs available, in price order. Now... There is a Samsung LA46C550 at exactly the same price as the Sony I bought. Would you recommend that I went for this Samsung? Is it a pretty good, comparable TV to the Sony?

There are also some Samsung LED TVs, such as the C5000, C6200, and C6800. But they are a fair bit more expensive, and I don't understand the model numbering.

Can anyone please help me choose a different TV from the web site link?

Thank you!! :thumbsup: