1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking back my Samsung PS42P2ST (after 10 days)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bada Bing, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The panels lack of component input and complete inability to produce the "colour" black have forced me to exchange it for an LG 17.

I'd rather fork out for new cables if it means I can watch my horror films and play resident evil with pure blacks and in progressive scan.

Sad, but the Samsung is too limited and not nearly as "future proofed" as I'd like. No progressive scan except via the VGA port? I ask you...

2. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your Sammy. Speaking as someone who agonised over the decision for ages I think I know how you must feel. However as my Panny arrived today and is waiting to come out of its box I can tell you that how much it cost is now almost irrelevant. If like me you intend this purchase being kept for at least five years then spend as much as poss to future proof. I cant thinkof anything worse that regretiing spending 2.5K after a short time. Lets face it these things are ridiculously expensive whether its 2, 3 or 4 grand you have laid out and for me I have to be able to say in a years time "wow" I'm glad I did that. Other purchases that fell into that category are few and far between. I think I was only marginally more excited about my Toyota MR2 and that depreciated 6k in two years!!! Anyway, Good luck with the LG - I'm off to unpack!!! - if only the bracket was here!!
    :clap:

3. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you demo the Sammy against the PZ17? What did you think?

mike

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've now got the LG 17 at home and can say catagorically that it is light-years ahead of the mediocre Samsung. The black levels are pretty much (high-spec) CRT quality, totally destroying the greyed out performance by the Samsung. The colours even in composite are better than the Samsung in RGB and the brightness/contrast is an improvement too. Solarisation is barely evident on the LG whereas it was inescapable on the Samsung.

The LG comes with a white 5m VGA cable and it should be applauded for that alone. It now means I can run MAME32 full screen from my office in the spare room to the plasma in the living room running the cable under the hall carpet.

It also comes with a white power cable and white Scart to composite adaptor to help the transition for all my consoles/DVD player to get component cables.

The front bezel on the LG is a far superior stainless steel effort and really improves the sense of quality to the unit. The remote too is stainless steel covered, although I'm unconvinced as to whether it's urban-chique or early 80's cable operated chique.:D

I nearly threw a fit when I mounted the LG on the wall only to find it totally devoid of any video inputs!!!! My mate then looked in the bag and found the video interface board (optional on 17 models) which we then fitted.:blush:

A fantastic set, well worth the extra cash. Even if you're on a budget I really can't say I recommend the Samsung PS42P2ST from Richer Sounds. Just spend the extra cash and opt for the far superior LG MZ42PZ17.

Cheers,
    Gareth

5. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miles
    i see your pleased with the Lg and all the leads that come with it. Are you thinking of improving the quality of the cables and making a component connection from the sky box??

if so, let me know how you get on.

Nelly T

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah mate, I'm currently trying to track down component cables for my PS2 and Gamecube as I type. As for the component signal from the SKY box, I didn't know it was possible! Please share, as I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron if I need to make myself any cables.;)

7. mambasna

mambasna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MilesbennettDyson, yup i got my component cable for my ps2 from... from... er... oh hack, just type 'ps2 rgb component cable' in google or something and it will find it for you... what was is now... http:\\sony... something or other.....ahhh got it,http://shop.uk.playstation.com/... I also got a remote control for the ps2 from them, works a wiz, saves having to fumle around with the cable controller

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I too have the LG 17 screen. Good panel I could have got the Tosh (Panny clone) but personally I could not see a big enough improvement to justify the £500 extra having viewed them both carefully at RS with several test discs. That said the difference between the LG 17 and Samsung is massive. I could not say the difference is so much between the 14 model and the samsung screen though.

As regards Sky use a component to scart VGA converter box. Component seems to be the only way to go with this screen to get the best quality (Issues with synch with VGA apparently)
    I am using one connected to rgb scart switch with NTL Digiital, Xbox and DVD player connected to it. SOme people seem to be having getting these to work with Sky. As far as I know they should work I have certainly had no problems at all with the scan converter I am using and am very happy with the results.

I would say this screen is more expensive and difficult to setup than the Samsung but definately a much better panel and worth the extra cash.

It always looked fantastic on Xbox and DVD, I have now got it looking good on NTL having tweaked the screen setup options.

Hopefully getting an expert eye cast over my setup very shortly to get it spot on :smoke:

9. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miles, where did you get your PZ17 from?

I've got one on order from Richer Sounds but they're saying it could be a month or more before it arrives...

Mike

10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got it from Richer Sounds too. They had one in store when I called and kept it back for me. Maybe you should call some other branches and see if they have any in store.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have heard the big delays are due to LG switching production from Korea to Wales.

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :eek:

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah the PS2 one was easy to find, but the GC one I'm going to have to import methinks.