Answered Taking a drone on a plane / long haul flight.

Discussion in 'Drone Forum' started by BrightonChris, Oct 19, 2016.

1. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    I have pre-ordered the DJI Mavic Pro Fly More bundle. I am travelling to Thailand on the 19th November. Hoping it actually arrives by then can anyone help with the procedure to take it with me?

I have read that taking it as carry on is recommended due to the LiPo batteries but I can just see it causing problems. Especially as I will have 3 batteries. What do fellow members here do when taking their drone abroad?

Any guidance appreciated.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by Bryn1, Oct 22, 2016 (1 points)
    See Also:
  3. Warriors2010

Warriors2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Depends on the airline that you are flying with, best to confirm with them.

For example: What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage | FAQs | Emirates

Best to also check for any restrictions in the country you are going to, with regards flying your bird there.

Where you visiting? Let us know how you get on there, I'm due to go back in Feb and planning to take my Phantom with me-if I get it back from the retailers in time (but that's another thread!).

4. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,478
    Are the batteries built in? I travel with high end camera equipment all the time. The biggest thing to be aware of is that all batteries need to be carried in hand luggage. Check specifically with your airline but I suspect that will be the only stipulation you need to be mindful of.

5. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    I go for a month every year with my (Thai) girlfriend. This year we will be visiting the East of the country as it's the only area we haven't been to. So Isaan region and hopefully Koh Chang for some beautiful beaches. Fingers crossed there's no problems with the current political volatility.
    Some googling seems to suggest there are no laws prohibiting drones in Thailand so as long as we operate sensibly should be OK. Although I certainly won't be using it in Bangkok. I think it will attract too much attention.
    The batteries are detachable. I will buy some LiPo safe bags to store them and discharge them before flying. Do they check to see if the batteries are below 30%? Not sure how they could without attaching them to the drone one by one. Either way I will ensure I have adhered to the rules.

Thanks for the help!

6. Warriors2010

Warriors2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Me and Mrs Warriors are going back to visit her brother, who lives in Kuala Lumpur. Also going to his villa in Phuket and then visiting Luang Prabang for a few days. Taking the Phantom pro with me and looking forwards to getting some really good shots with it.

I mentioned to the brother in law about bringing the drone (no, not Mrs Warriors) and his reply was "Regulations in Asia often lag generally, with people tending to ask forgiveness after the fact, rather than permission before" Better to check first I think, because I don't fancy doing time in a Thai prison!

7. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Best Answer
    Apart from the relevant UAV rules for wherever you intend to take your bird the main one regarding Lipo's is pretty much the same for all airlines:

Hand carry only
    Discharged
    Lipo safe storage bag

Follow the above 3 golden rules and you should be fine (I have flown with my Lipo's many many times now without any issues)

HTH
    Bryn.

8. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'm just being over anxious but I think we've all encountered over efficious staff members in one way or another. Want to make sure I'm by the book.

9. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    They mavic batteries have LED's on them so you can check battery status without attaching to the drone.

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,711
    You should get some fantastic footage. Please post it in the Mavic videos thread.

11. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I think you'd have to stow the drone in the hold.

If they do allow you to take it into the cabin, I think it would certainly be against avaition rules to fly it around the cabin. It would also be bad manners to do so, I mean with people trying to have their food, watch movies etc, not to mention people out of their seats trying to get to the bathroom.

12. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    Bugger. One of the main reasons I bought it was to fly it down the aisle and see if the toilets are vacant. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll be careful.
    Definitely will. (Hoping it is delivered in time). Be warned this is my first proper drone with little time to practice!

13. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Chris,
    One of the most important things to get to grips with and fully understand how it works is the RTH function, practice and test it until you fully understand how it works as it is the one big feature that can get you out of trouble if it all goes Pete Tong whilst flying, the other function I would also suggest is the 'Home Lock' mode which will allow you to fly directly back to the homepoint if you lose sight or get completely disoriented from the bird, most (this works irrespective of which way the bird is facing at the time of home lock selection)

Tip: If it does all go Pete Tong and you lose sight or get disoriented always best to use home lock instead of initiating an RTH as it is always better to be in control (if possible)

Hope it arrives in time for your trip and good luck :)

bryn.

14. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    Thanks for the tip. So return to home is pretty self explanatory I guess, but what is Home Lock and how does it work?

15. Bryn1

Bryn1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Yes you are right RTH function is pretty self-explanatory, however I can't stress enough the value in completely understanding how it functions in all options of it, it is surprising the number of pilots that get confused with what to do if it kicks in during a flight :thumbsup:

Home Lock is one of the intelligent flight modes, basically when you engage home lock it allows the pilot to pull down/backward on the pitch stick which will cause the aircraft to return directly to the home point (in home lock mode it makes no difference which way the aircraft is pointing so by pulling the pitch stick backward the aircraft will fly directly to the home point, P57 in the user manual explains it)

This video explains it better, although it is based on the phantom 3 the principle is identical for the Mavic
    How to use IOC Home Lock (HL) | DJI PHANTOM 3 + 4

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  16. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    Thank you, This is very helpful and I am the sort of person that likes to know what every single setting does and how to use it. So I intend to read the manual fully and I have been watching all the Mavic YouTube vids trying to gain as much knowledge before it arrives. I will certainly make fully understanding the failsafes a top priority, I am a little anxious of something going wrong to be honest and I am taking the task of flying and learning very seriously.

17. EdPhelan1

EdPhelan1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Please post the footage, Chris!

Your best bet would probably be contacting the airline well before you fly, just in case. All the best!

18. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,111
    #2 Best Answer
    This is a mate of mine, he is a licensed commercial drone pilot who's done camera work for the BBC (among others). His guide to travelling with your drone is below.

At 1m 40m he mentions that cameras on drones are illegal in Thailand so you might want to do a bit more checking before you take yours.

Ultimate How to travel with Drones on Airplanes

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List