Takes a long time to connect to router

YitEarp

Banned
I have the virgin superhub (netgear)

When I type the routers local address it just takes forever to connect sometimes timing out.

What would cause this to happen as when I try via wifi its instant with issue.

I am connecting via homeplugs to the router and pc if that's a difference?

Also I only ever achieve 100mb connection even though I have gigabit equipment NIC>Router

the homeplugs are not gigabit however so is it correct that they wont achieve gigabit?

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I am connecting via homeplugs to the router and pc if that's a difference?
Try connecting a cable direct without the HomePLugs, that''ll tell you if they are having an effect.

Also I only ever achieve 100mb connection even though I have gigabit equipment NIC>Router

the homeplugs are not gigabit however so is it correct that they wont achieve gigabit?
It's possible that the HomePlugs "only" have 100mbps ethernet ports. Check their specs. and see what they say.

YitEarp

Banned
I would have to take my pc downstairs for that but I may give it a gp as it bugs the life out of me.

They only operates at 100 I checked here's me thinking I had the gbe type. Oh well I shall have my node 0 soon so it will cut out the need.

Very excited ;)

DavidT

I would have to take my pc downstairs for that but I may give it a gp as it bugs the life out of me.

They only operates at 100 I checked here's me thinking I had the gbe type. Oh well I shall have my node 0 soon so it will cut out the need.

Very excited ;)
I dont think there are any 1gb homeplugs. Be aware that the rated speeds are both ways therefore 200mbps homeplugs are really only 100mbps absolute maximum.

David

YitEarp

Banned
I dont think there are any 1gb homeplugs. Be aware that the rated speeds are both ways therefore 200mbps homeplugs are really only 100mbps absolute maximum.

David

I don't understand what you mean there as I have 500mb homeplugs and I get 336-380mbps from them

Plus there are gigabit homeplugs have a look on the bay or similar and you will see.

cjed

I don't understand what you mean there as I have 500mb homeplugs and I get 336-380mbps from them

Plus there are gigabit homeplugs have a look on the bay or similar and you will see.
I think we're talking about two different things here, there's the advertised link speed (200Mbit/s, 500Mbit/s etc) and the actual data throughput of the link, which is usually much, much lower - this is why a number of 500Mbit/s homeplugs only have 100Mbit/s Ethernet ports.

I'm guessing that the 336-380mbps is the link speed, measured with a homeplug specific utility. I think you'll be dissapointed at the actual throughput of data over that link.

There's a useful comparison of a number of 500Mbit/s homeplugs here on SmallNetBuilder, which shows that none can manage to saturate a 100MBit/s Ethernet connection.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Possibly there is also some confusion over the link rate achieved over the mains circuit (which is the number HP's tend to "market" and splash all over the boxes) and the link rate of their ethernet ports, which tend to get little or no discussion. The two are distinct.

If you plug "something" (switch, router, PC, etc.) into the ethernet port of a HomePlug, and look at the "speed" with which the "something" establishes it's link to the HomePlug, it will be one of the "standard" ethernet link rates (10/100/1000) depending on the type of ethernet ports fitted in the HomePLug (10/100 or 10/100/1000) and the "something."

The "something" cannot "see" anything beyond it's own local (ethernet) connection which is why you have to use a special (software) tool to interrogate the HP's and see what they are managing on the mains.

YitEarp

Banned
for anybody reading this perhaps with the same issue a reset of the router solves the problem - however it soon rears it head again and after reading a lot of people seem to be having the same issue and it looks as though the router is at fault

so I shall see what virgin media have to say

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom