1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taken The Plunge.

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by @Home, Jul 18, 2004.

1. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    OK I have taken the plunge and ordered a Tagmclaren AV32 Dual Processor.

In advance could you tell me how to set it up? I have got a Sound meter and set up my AV32 SP no problem, but isn't it a bit more complicated with DP?

My PC is in a differant room from my HIFI System so connecting them up together would be impossible - Can I use a Laptop?

I downloaded thier TMREQ from the website, after I installed it, Windows couldn't open it? Any ideas why?

Basically any tips you could give me would be much appreciated :lease: .

Thanks

2. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    You are obviously missing the Java component from the Sum site.

I will send you the program run it and it will work fine

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    {{Hi AMCross, re: DVD32r, have a look at my post in the classified section if you're looking for one.}}

4. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79

Thanks.

Will that be a PM you send to me?

5. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    @Home

I have not found it yet :)

It was not me that sent you a PM

6. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    But i have sent you a Pm with the link now :thumbsup:

7. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    How does the 5.1 bypass work?

Do you plug your speakers in to the 5.1BP sockets rather than the Analogue sockets for an improved sound from CD, or are they soley for use with a SACD machines.

Thanks

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    @Home I am pleased to say that I can answer some of your questions as I picked up my DP last week, and spent a solid 13 hours on Saturday playing with TMREQ.

Firstly the bypass. This can be configured for either 5.1 operation (for SACD/DVDA), or 3 x analogue inputs so you can plug your CD etc straight in and keep a clear path. This was in fact how I plugged my CD23 into my Tag SP. Having made the adjustments with TMREQ, I now use a normal analogue input to take advantage of the improvements TMREQ has bought about.

I'm not going to lie, I struggled with the whole TMREQ thing. I already had the necessary equipment and ETFsoftware. The manual is useless, this got discarded at an early stage, so I used the Tag case study for reference. After the best part of 5 to 6 hours setting up, configuring, and getting used to the basic controls and readings, I finally started to get some results. My process was to read and adjust the individual speakers one at a time. When all six were done, I turned everything off, restarted, and rechecked my results in ETF to make sure I hadn't done something loony.

It was then a case of firing up and seeing how it sounded :). Pretty damn good! Turning TMREQ on and off in music really shows the difference this can make. I use a small converted garage that does suffer from resonance quite badly, even though the walls are half carpeted. Music is now smooth, instruments and vocals are better seperated, just much better to listen to. Its now possible to listen to music at higher volumes in comfort

I haven't done direct A/B testing with movies, but once you hear music, you know TMREQ must be working for you. Every film I have had a brief listen to sounds well defined and 'together'

So what hasn't gone well? Well firstly I wasn't totally happy with the results on the sub. Even though I had reduced all the peaks to within target level, the bass was still too resonant. Compared to an 'untreated' sub it would have been much better, however, I have been using a BFD for some time, and this gives me better results, although to be fair I do have to use all 12 filters on it!

Secondly, I did have some difficulty taking accurate measurements above 200 hz. I couldn't get ETF to display the exact graphs I wanted which was annoying. However, the final result sounds great so I must have done something right! :)

Hope this inspires you to get stuck in, just allow plenty oftime. The results are worth the effort :)

9. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks UrbanT.

I have got the TAG CD Transport so I don't think I'll be able to put that sriaght into the 5.1bp, will I?

I take it I am gonna have my PC plugged in to the TAG while I set up the TMRQ?

I do have a sound meter. It sounds like it's gonna be a nightmare setting it up :zonked: .

Thanks

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Thats right, I think you use the Taglink. As for TMREQ, you can just hold the meter and try and make adjustments manually. Right up to using the PC and using ETF5 to make more accurate adjustments. I wanted to use ETF5 to make full use of the facilities I had just bought. It is hard, however, you may find it a lot easier than me. It is worth the effort :)

11. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi urbant

congratulations to your most recent purchase and to your successful setup of the tmreq :smashin:

greetings
    christoph