Taken the plunge with a Z5

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pc99, Sep 12, 2007.

1. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After my issues with staining on the Z2, I decided to cut my losses.

I've sold my Z2 to a mate for a very cheap price.

And my Z5 in en-route from Ivojo as we speak. Should hopefully arrive today.

This should keep me happy until Full HD pjs break the 1K barrier.

2. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nice work!

Any chance you can post some pics and a small review for us :thumbsup:

What you gonna be using it with?

Thanks

3. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I've just bought one also - won't be able to install for a week or so though :( - will also post pics

I have an Onkyo 605, xbox 360, Wii and Sky HD :)

4. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Guys.

I'll be using it with my PC, a Playstation 2 and DVD prog. scan.

Although I expect I will shortly be purchasing an upscaling DVD player too.

I'll certainly post something about my opinions of the (hopefully) improvements over the Z2.

5. DuncH

DuncH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Think there must be lots of Z5s waiting for install:) I too went for the Z5 in the end, topk ages to decide which pj but in the end went for the z5. It's waiting for the room to be finished so I can't install it yet but initial quick test on a sheet were fantastic.:thumbsup:

6. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I'm waiting on the power cable for mine :(

anyone know how long it is so I can plan my install?

7. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thats the only niggle with this thing, it uses a silly cloverleaf plug - makes it hard to use any of the spare plugs you have lying around lol :)

8. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well my Z5 is up and running. No time to waste.

It was a doddle to set up as it fit the mount for the Z2 without any adjustment. And I already have an extended power cable running through the ceiling.

First impressions are very good. Noticeably better black level than the Z2 and more vibrant colours. Have already turned off the auto iris.

Need to have a look around for some optimized settings and see if I like them.

Cheers all, I'm of to enjoy my new toy.

9. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Anyone recomend a good affordable wall or ceiling mount for this bad boy? or is there any harm on just geting a sturdy shelf to sit it on ;)

10. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

yep, I just ordered one of these last week:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROJECTOR-CEI...hZ001QQcategoryZ71584QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    Still waiting for it to arrive as its from the states, the fact that is has an easy 'on/off' mechanisim to detach from the stand is what sold it for me!

11. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    pc99- how comes you disabled the auto iris?

pics are needed! :lease:

12. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Can't speak for pc99 but I've done the same.. theres just no real need for it. Once you get it set up to how you want it all the auto iris function ends up doing in make a scene-change almost fade in slightly as it adjusts for that scenes contrast. No concern though there, its just something thats a little noticable to the eye. More personal taste than anything I think.

Theres a lot of different options that you'll want to play around with.. but thats half the fun..;) One tip.. I've learn't that doing tweaking during the middle of a film with your mrs watching is a sure fire way of getting a dig in the ribs... :rotfl:

13. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Obviously I'm still playing with the set up of mine.

pumauk - I disabled the auto iris because I sit right under the PJ and could hear the iris movement, particularly flicking channels.

Also as smackos says, you don't really need it. The Z5 is noticeably brighter and more vibrant than the Z2 anyway.

eec3 - I got my mount from vivomounts. Very similar to the Vogels one but only £25.98 delivered.

It has the same problem as many (including the Vogels one - a friend has one) in that the holes at the ends of the arms need drilling out to accommodate the screws for both the Z2 and Z5 and also the Hitachi TX200. Don't know why none of them seem to fit, but as long as you have a drill it's simple enough.

One thing I do need. Has anyone got discrete power codes for the Z5 for a Pronto remote. The power off from the Z2 works, but not the power on code.

14. pc99

pc99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    oops better update my signature. Still says Z2 :)

15. brazilliance

brazilliance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be that mate :thumbsup:. Looking forward to a large screen (its my first PJ). Just hoping this screen works out ok. Perraps ill write a review

BTW, hello everyone!

Jamie

16. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm dangerously bored at work- someone get some pics / a review up on here! Enough of you have the Z5! :eek:

17. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    haven't you gathered enough research to make a decision? lol

Plus images are pointless - due to the dynamic range of a camera you never get a true picture of a projector image .... but I can understand your eager for pics. :D

18. Mart007

Mart007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Z5 for a few months now and here's a pic for those who want to see one. It's a freeze frame from The Island HD-DVD played on a Toshiba HD-E1.

The photo was taken from about 11 feet away and the image was projected onto an 84 inch 4:3 screen with a DIY masking system which I can use to frame different aspect ratios.

The Z5 setting I use is similar to the Creative Cinema preset but with the colour level turned down.

Attached Files:

19. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    mmm, I found this link to a company which installs home theatres - it has a few screens of the Sanyo Z4 in action .... remember that the Z5 is an improved version of the Z4 - so if you think the Z4 looks great here then chances are its gonna look a bit better on the Z5:

http://www.finitesolutions.co.uk/showflat.htm

20. boarder

boarder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, after many years of waiting for the perfect projector I am almost there. I am looking at the Z5 due to its price, warranty and placement flexibility; but have a question about inputs. My current dvd player only has a scart out and s-video. What do people think would be the best thing to drive the projector (using a money invested to performance increase ratio). I am only going to be viewing SD movies for a while yet.

1. Use my current dvd player via s-video
    2. Use a laptop via the vga out (nearest resolution laptop can output to 1280*720 is 1280*768 but I am not sure how this would affect the image of SD films)
    3. Buy a £40 dvd player that has an hdmi out and use that.
    4. Spend £150 or so on a top of the range dvd player
    5. Go with option 1 or 2 for now and buy a PS3 when the price has dropped a bit more.

Price for me is the main thing. Also with option 5 I am aware that the projector will have the juddering problem with high def but am not sure how big a deal that is. Anyones thoughts or opinions would be greatly received. (also is a projector much more impressive than a 50" plasma?, as saw a few of those in dixons and was pretty impressed?)

21. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    1. No!:nono:Picture will be erm...average at best.
    2. Depends on how much welly the laptop has but not the most convenient if you just want to stick a film on a watch it.
    3. This may be the best option as a temporary fix. The way things are going the £150 you mention in 4 will be HD-DVD/BluRay player money in the not too distant future.
    4. See 3.
    5. See 4.:D

22. boarder

boarder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Ken. Its you guys I will probably be buying it off by strange coincidence :)

Emailed you earlier in the week about pricerunner.co.uk showing your price for the Z5 as £974. Hope you manage to get them to show the right price.

Anyone out there have a cheap dvd player recomendation?

23. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm not entirely sure why PriceRunner is listing us at all. They have a system which rips prices direct from whatever site they want (the entries with no logo) automatically so presumably it sometimes gets it wrong. We stopped using them about a year ago when we noticed in a report that the same IP address had clicked on the same product 20 times in less than 10 minutes and we were being charged for each click. This had happened a number of times in the previous few months and the costs were getting a bit OTT.

Thanks for emailing us with the information and take a look at the Samsung HD860 for a decent cheap dvd player. I use one for messing about with projectors and it's not a bad bit of kit at all.

24. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I pretty much agree with Ivojo, but make no mistake .... to get the best out of the Z5 you will need controlled lighting .... where as with a plasma you wont need to worry about that.

Depends what you want really, are you willing to modify you room a little for the sake of a large screen size, if not the plasma is the best option.

I've placed the Z5 in a light controlled room and the results are stunning!

25. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    There's another option that I use myself. You can use the RBG scart output on a dvd (or freeview in my case) via this cable from Keene: -

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SBB91S

Scart to 15 pin d-sub connector, but "specially" wired for Sanyo devices. Mine works spot on for my freeview box, though I did buy a new HDMI dvd player (I kept my old dvd for my crt tv).

Anyway, cheaper than buying a new dvd plus cable.

26. korelem

korelem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering the SANYO PLV-Z5, for my home cinema, actually I am going to buy it next week...:D
    But I have question:
    I am going to project an image from about 11feet to a projection screen (150x80cm) of about 165cm (circa 65inches) diagonal via an upconverting dvd player (720p, 1080i, philips HTS3357 home theater system, can someone confirm that the player is the 9560?) through HDMI, and now the actual question :): Screen Door Effect? I will be seating about 10 feet from the screen, and I really dont want too see the edges of pixels while I am watching a movie, and I will use the projector just for upconverted SD-DvDs, I dont wanna jump into the HD war just yet...:D

Sorry for the long post, any advice, recommendation or experience from sanyo users would be mighty appreciated...:)

27. Rabfan8

Rabfan8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just completed my installation which includes the Z5. Frankly, I'm amazed with its performance straight out of the box. I did a fair amount of research and concluded that (for me) the Z5 provided best combination of 1) flexibilty 2) performance 3) price / value for money. Happily it has exceeded on all counts.:thumbsup:

28. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    pics? :thumbsup:

29. korelem

korelem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Rabfan8,
    I am glad your having a great experience with your projector, I hope I will have it too, can you provide some details on your setup, setting distance, screen size,...:thumbsup:

30. Randell

Randell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't see SDE from roughly 10 feet on a 1.8M wide screen (77 inch diagonal).