Taken 3 AVForums Blu-Ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Casimir Harlow, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,083
    2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      I loved the first movie and so was massively disappointed by the 2nd, not helped by the whole plot including the ending was in the trailer. Agree 3rd one is ok.
      It seems that they were surprised by how enjoyed the first one was, and then tried to pander to the mass market and in turn losing what made the first one special. Which i think was believability, you believed that someone would do anything to save their kid, and ok a little far fetched but you semi believed someone could do what he did.

2nd one was just plain stupid, as the plot was pointless
      he didn't need the gun to escape, he could have just taken out the guy, making all the granade stuff pointless
      and it was slow, very slow.

They tried to add a plot device this time that would make him do what he did, but it didn't have believablity this time. You could buy that he could take on drug/people smugglers but special force trained baddies, i think is a lot less believable. What they failed to do is add anything new, it just felt like a generic straight to TV action movie that van damme would normally be the main character.

and so agree with the grading, ok but still disappointing.

3. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,757
      Thinking of buying this, is their a difference between extended cut and extended harder cut ?

4. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,305
      So they do not throw grenades around or rooftops to get a location?
      Disappointing :p

The second was pretty ridiculous in places which means I only watched it the once. Will pick this up at some point, Cheers for the review Cas :smashin:

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,114
      I'm swear old Liam is knocking out a grand dad action movie every month

Quite enjoyed this one pretty formulaic but fun not as good the first

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    6. whatthedileo

whatthedileo
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I look forward to this one, as I did really enjoy the first. The only thing I CANNOT forgive about Taken... the pathetic Karaoke machine that he was nervous and excited about choosing for his daughter! Here is the dramatic scene where he makes his final decision on the $100 amalgam of cheap plastic and ancient 5.5" CRT television...

Attached Files:

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,083
      Nope, I think the term 'harder' is merely perfunctory, as with the other Takens and the Expendables movies etc. etc.

8. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,053
      As action movies are my favourite genre, I can forgive a lot, from 80s straight-to-video, to modern-day Statham straight-to-video, and every thing above that bar. Taken is a modern classic, Taken2 failed to improve positively on anything, therefore everything was inferior. So Taken3 is one of those movies I want to see, and often forgive a lot of flaws because of the genre.

Taken3, though, is the most disappointing film I've seen this year. The major plot point that drives the movie makes no sense, and the attempts to explain/justify at the end act, still left me baffled. The entire story is just lazy, and the story beats just bridges between action set-pieces designed to justify the 'action-movie' recipe, and fulfil a sequel bigger/better goal.

These set-pieces, a result of Mills jointly trying to evade authorities but catch/kill the bad guys leave an ever bizarre trail of carnage, and clearly deaths or major harm to innocent bystanders, or officials just honestly doing there job, is just ignored or swept aside, through to the stupid 'everything is ok' ending, no consequences. This and the fact that Mills has almost become superhuman now, in his ability to withstand such carnage.

The fact there is clearly talent here from Luc Besson to Liam Neeson, and a decent budget for effects and co-stars, it's an insult that this is the best they were capable of. The only thing I did like was the Detective, showing an appreciation and intelligence for what he was up against, but that may have more to do with Forest J. Whittaker, as he has played similar roles before, you just don't cast him to play the role of a moron, which this role normally provides for.

And yet, I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid it, it's entertaining enough, but a travesty that other films in the genre achieve much more than this with less. Stand up John Wick.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,489
      Please can anyone translate that?

10. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21,037
      My French isn't great but I think its "thank you for sharing the video".

11. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +111
      I saw this for the first time last night and the sound mix reminded me of the Age of Ultron track. While the dialogue was fine, the effects and music didn't have enough impact. Even the dialogue during action scenes was lower in volume like some sort of dynamic range control was employed when the UK disc was mastered.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List