Taken 2 Cinema Review

I think 2/10 is extremely harsh.

Action movies tend to get poor reviews, I guess anyway.

I would have rated the original very highly and probably a 5 for this.

To be 2/10, I would have expected to want to walk out of the cinema, annoyed. I didn't, the 90 minutes passed fairly quickly, I just walked out thinking ok was that it.

Its a fosters film, its beer, it does the job, but it lacks substance. You drink it and you can't say you disliked it, you just didn't like it.

It should have been a straight to dvd movie.

Thanks for your comment but I think the key lies in your first and last sentences: you're puzzled I gave it 2/10 but you also think it should have been straight-to-DVD.

I think that's the point - it should have been straight-to-DVD. If it was, and it was uncut (as they've already announced for the home formats release), then this would probably score closer to what you suggest. Certainly I could better argue that you can rent it at home, and enjoy it in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. That's harder for a cinema review because, quite honestly, it's unrealistic to expect people to pay extortionate cinema ticket prices to go and see a film just for the unintentional humour that can be found by mocking it. At home, with a pizza and some like-minded mates I think it would go down a treat. You'd be in hysterics for almost the entire duration. Indeed I look forward to picking it up and doing just that. I just think people shouldn't be fooled into spending their hard-earned money seeing this at the cinema just because they love the great first movie. That's a sham!

Cheers for your comment,
Cas

Cheers mate, Chris & Cas, they sound similar don't they ;)

Apologies Cas, typo error ... I blame the shock of the film being so bad, as detailed in your review :smashin:

Don't worry at all mate, I only took it as a compliment anyway. I'm quite proud to have written a Chris-standard Taken 2-bashing review. :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it,
Cas

Great review again Cas.

Do you think there is any redemption in the unrated cut that is rumoured for release? Or is it not salvageable at all?

Thanks Greg,

Honestly, I think that the best you can hope for is to enjoy it in a so-bad-its-good kind of way when you pick it up on BD.

I do think that the uncut version will improve the fight scenes (as I mentioned, there isn't a single death 'sound', so arguably he could have just been knocking people out rather than breaking their necks!!) but it won't change the fact that they're so blurry in style. That said, perhaps watching it on a smaller screen will improve this marginally, as it's always easier to follow shaky-cam when it's not at the big screen.

What they need is somebody to take MEGATON'S 'work' and re-edit the fight scenes - I'm sure all the processing was done in post-production so they could probably undo it and make them look clearer and more easy to follow. Of course nobody's ever going to do that, but, without a different edit of the film, a purely uncut version is not likely to save this movie, just make it easier to swallow.

I'll certainly be vying to review it though to find out for sure. First thing I wanted to do when I got out of the cinema was go back in time 2 hours, watch something else, and then discover Taken 2 for the first time, uncut, on Blu-ray in 3 or 4 months' time. That's what I'd recommend to those who aren't going to Orange Wednesday this beast.

Cheers, Cas

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom