Takeaway food - how do they prep?

Vini

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever worked in the kitchen of an Indian/Chinese takeaway? Im intrigued to know how they prep the food so quickly...

I assume to some extent a lot is frozen or pre-prepared? To what extent though?

I'm into making my own curries from scratch etc, and it takes hours! And then, whenever I freeze owt, it always ends up watering itself down when I come to reheat it.

What kind of black magic is eluding my eyes?

Generally, and genuinely intrigued...

They use a few base sauces which are used for the most commonly ordered dishes. The base sauces can be made in huge quantities quite easily. For curries that'll be onions, garlic and ginger.

Last edited:
not too dissimilar to a restaurant, theres a fair amount of prepping of ingredients and bases done prior to service so that dishes can be prepared quickly.

Take out the prep time for any meal you have made and the cooking time in a wok/pan etc is pretty quick

If you get to know your local restaurant you can ask if you can watch or I know one place where the kitchen had a window behind where you ordered from. Some places are more than happy to show you the cleanliness of the kitchen etc. If they aren't you could go elsewhere.

'The Curry Secret' recipe book...
http://amzn.eu/9d59ds7
...not a bad book. Make UK curry house curries at home using the high street curry house methodology.

Essentially you make a vat of base sauce (greeny translucent, see page 20 on the Amazon 'Look Inside' option). This takes time but it's do ahead.
Most popular curries then can then be made very quickly using the base sauce.

:clap:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Restaurants start prepping food hours before they open. I assume the same to be true of a takeaway. They don't just rock up at 6 and start doing meals. They'll have been chopping, cooking hours before hand.

Takeaway? They take it out of a rat invested freezer that they made a couple of months ago with a few packet ingredients and minimal fresh ones, mix it up with some tap water, cheap oil (normally palm oil - say goodbye to the rainforests) and a dirty pan and load it with cheap white carbs, and voila, dinner to the plastic carton nation.

Try to order your takeaways from a restaraunt that does takeaway at the very least, not the shit in a tray specials that litter every high street.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom