Take that Daily Fail

liamt

Distinguished Member
Heard on BBC news today tthat Glasgow is the most violent place in the UK.

i thought it said an area of london. cant remember which now but its the main gang area.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
I blame video games!

I blame video games!

That may be partly responsible since it is keeping young people off the streets but a more compelling reason is the removal of lead from petrol as identified in the Nevins Report.

qYHcZtL.png

Hope there's a bit more to that than coincidence :p

it's far from proven but there the Nevins Study found correlation in 9 separate nations and other studies have proven a link between lead exposure and impulse control in children so while I doubt it is solely responsible, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a strong contributing factor.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
it's far from proven but there the Nevins Study found correlation in 9 separate nations and other studies have proven a link between lead exposure and impulse control in children so while I doubt it is solely responsible, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume a strong contributing factor.

Correlation can come from anywhere though:

e.g. more lead in the air due to more parents driving to work, leaving children with carers. leaving children with carers leads to more violent children.

root cause - two working parents

I guess we'll see how we revert as we stop outputting so much lead

Correlation can come from anywhere though:

e.g. more lead in the air due to more parents driving to work, leaving children with carers. leaving children with carers leads to more violent children.

root cause - two working parents

I guess we'll see how we revert as we stop outputting so much lead

The Nevins Study was done at City level but another study by Howard W. Mielkea and Sammy Zahranc in 2012 found street level correlation between airborne lead levels and street crime in 6 separate US cities.

ScienceDirect.com - Environment International - The urban rise and fall of air lead (Pb) and the latent surge and retreat of societal violence

hufartd

Glasgow is the murder capital of Europe,
I think it's murders per capita,was in a bbc doc a couple of years ago about the accountant witness that was bopped off some gangster trial.

Sonic67

Banned
Could be done to there being more CCTV than ever before. Or the policies of this wonderful government.

Graham27

i thought it said an area of london. cant remember which now but its the main gang area.
Yeah, I think by specific council/borough the areas in London are the worst, but by town/city Glasgow is worst.

BBC News - Glasgow ranked UK's most violent area

The bizarre thing is that in that article they're saying how much more peaceful it's become in the last few years, yet it's still the worst place in Britain.

Doesn't surprise me at all though. It's amazing what you get used to when you live there, and what people accept as the norm. I've seen some sights. The scariest and funniest being rocks fired at my bus from distance, propelled by a makeshift seesaw catapult that Wile E. Coyote would have been proud of.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom