Take a look at my short list, need some opinions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by n0s, Oct 30, 2005.

1. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so making my first HT setup, i dont have that much room and all my speakers need to be wall mounted. The reciever ill use is the Yamaha V2600 or a Denon 3806.

Setup 1:
    Tannoy Arena

Setup 2:
    Focal JMLab 3*Sib XL and 3*Sib with Cub2 Sub

Setup 3:
    Monitor Audio 3*R250 and 3*R90 with R720 Sub

What do you guys reckon would be better, the room is open plan and about 4*6m, and floors are wooden with fairly low ceilings. Am i missing any setups not on my list?

Thanks for any tips
    n0s

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All setups are great and worth checking. Each system has its flaws so you must hear them and decide which one fits you best.
    More setups:
    Mordaunt Short Genie
    KEF 5005
    B&W MT20
    Energy Encore

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The bare wooden floor and low celings may change the sound bond what the demo sounds like, espcialy if you have bare walls and no great ammount of soft furnishings to absorb sound (i.e. very minamalist).

Try and demo although you'll strugle to find dealers with multiples of the systems you like on your list. If you find the sound not to be what you heard at the dealer when you get a system home, try placing a rug down it'll do wonders for the sound.

4. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have a 3m wide sofa with big cushions, and ill probably lay a little rug down in the middle of the room, say 2m*2m.

I wont be able to demo much of them, but so far it looks like the monitor audio setup seems the best for my needs. I heard the genies a while back, they didnt go loud enough for me without distortion, and the bass wasnt hard hitting enough either, it was controlled and responded fast, but just didnt "rumble the walls".

Seeing as this setup is for movies only and i like my movies very loud and huge rumbles, it wasnt the setup for me, i have plenty of room on the front walls, so the speakers can be big, just as long as i can wall mount them.

Do that help at all? :)

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    you might wanna go with the MA's, get the Denon to go with them, those brands seem to work well together, but swap the MA sub for an REL.......you can get all this at a local sevenoaks, they should do you a deal buying it all at once, or at least chuck in some free cable......

6. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you need a system to rumble the walls, the Tannoy Arena won't be good for you. It sub isn't as punchy as the others.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Getting a spereate sub will almost be a must for you, as most the ones in the system are a bit weak, although it all depends on how the system is going to be used as they have to try and make them muscial as well as alow and loud (i.e. fast and puchy may be more important).

What amp was the genies used with, as it was possiibly the amp that was letting the genies down.

8. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a Harmon Kardon AVR430, which is a pretty good amp, the Genies are just too small for me, i neeed a bigger wall mounted speaker since i have the room, thats why the Sib XL's or MA R250's looked good. I will get a separate sub, at least 12" and at least 200W, what you reckon, that enouhg to rumble my walls?

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Yep,omething like that should do. I was using a b&W 10incher with a 100w and it could rumble the wall down. I since replaced it with a mission 12inch with 400w, which i have quite literaly on near the bottom setting otherwise its just too loud and doesn't integrate (so i'm happy, head room if i ever need it).

Although there is alot more to a sub than power and inches, a demo will show up fast pace, puchy sound and depth + volume where the latter two can be confused. A good sub helps with the toe tapping in music for certain, where the sound track of a movie is a central part of a film it helps. But ofcourse the big rumble with the explotions usualy have to be fealt to be well fealt.

When auditioning a sub you generaly want to look for material were there would be quick sucessive bass beats and make sure they don't murge into one, avoid any sub that 'farts' although this is only on the cheapo's really and avoid ones that boom even when the thing is moved to take into account the room accustics.

10. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about a Velodyne CHT-12R or a B&W PV1, REL is ok but wont match my decor at all, sub needs to be silver. What you think about my choices? I need some more info on good stylish subs that perform well, id say a grand at max. I know that sounds silly but if you saw my room a black sub or wood sub would stick out like a soare thumb. :) Thanks so much for the ongoing help, its much appreciated.

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Check out BK too, they may seem to be cheap but its a direct from manufacturer compnay so you can save money, their monalith is their new high end model worth a peek.

What are you looking for style wise? a silver box do? sure a piano black sub with matching piano black surround sats wouldn't look good :p .

12. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well something like this (B&W PV1 - £950)

[​IMG]

OR... (Velodyne CHT-12R - £600)

[​IMG]

Both are on my shortlist, and both are the kind of thing im looking for. Oh and BK, is short for??? Im embarrassed :suicide:

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    BK is a brand :) not to worry though, better than being the otherway arround thinking an ackronum is manufacturer :p

14. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i checked them out, look fairly good, but dont make any in silver, here is a question, could i just get a good sub in black and just paint the box silver, would that affect the sound or electronics in anyway you think?

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Probably not, but it'd kill your warranty.

Didn't relise they don't do the monolith in silver as they do this http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200.htm which may or may not have the performance your looking for. As they make the subs up as they go it could be worth emailing them and asking if they can do the monolith in silver, they can only say no :)

*edit
    they do down firers' too, little to no difference sound wise just astetics.

16. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recommend buying a different sub woofer in case you buy satelite speakers because the new sub will go really low (under 30HZ) and will not go high at all (up to 180HZ~). the satelite speakers produce mostly highs and some mids. In that cae you will not a have a speaker which will produce the mids and some of the higher lows. it will sound bad.