Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R @ SVP

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 1439nick, Jun 10, 2005.

1. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any experience, problems or feedback for the following TY discs at SVP:

Datasafe Pro (TY G02 Taiyo Yuden) x10 @ £4.99

Unbranded Taiyo Yuden 8x spindle of 50 @ £38.99

also there seems to be an offer on unbranded silvertopped 2x discs (ADVINFO: TDK G02), a spindle of 50 for @£5.99!! these disks it says were over a quid each once upon a time!

I'm currently using Ritek which are fine, but now i've learned a little about dvd-r blank media i'm thinking of paying a little extra for a ist class disc with hopefully a longer life for my collection. Anyone got anything to share regarding the above?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Sorry I haven't used these, but I have used the Verbatim TY G02 discs from SVP and found them excellent - no problems with either my PC DVD writer or Tosh XS32:

{DV 3182} Pack of 5 Verbatim (8x) Pastel Coloured DVD-R (With excellent Taiyo Yuden dye)
    ADVDINFO: .TYG..02

I'd expect the other TYG 02 discs to also be good... it's just I like the looks of the pastel ones!

Mark

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    I've also used the Verbatim ones and found then to be excellent. The 8x ones work in my Sony writer in my PC which rejects most other 8x DVDs and work perfectly in my E85 and E55. I'm tempted to go for the unbranded spindle of 50 as well.

4. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TY's are cakes of 100 (not 50) for 38.99, not even TY could cost 79p a disk these days.

Not used them but I am tempted. Best thing is that they are always available, since I started writing DVDs I've had to switch media 4 times but the TY's have always been available.

5. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Hi,
    I use the Taiyo Yuden 8x dvdr's in my LG 4163B with A104 Firmware and no problems at all.

In fact the LG is better with older dyes such as TYG02 and MCC 02RG20 and the Taiyo Yuden 8x discs burn no problems at 8x, highly recommended discs, they are also printable right to the centre as well.

If you use an LG 4163B then avoid the Datawrite 8x dvdr's like the plague nothing but failure at about 75% way through a burn even with the latest firmware.

:thumbsup:

6. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I've been using the 8x ones that come on the 100-disc spindle (code {DV 3138}) with my Panasonic DMR E95. I've used about 50 discs so far and haven't had any coasters at all, which is an amazing success rate as I've had occasional coasters with every other brand I've tried. They were 60 quid when I bought them so the current 39 quid price is an absolute bargain.

The only teeny-weeny down-side is that they're silver on both sides so you have to make sure you use them the right way up. Get some CD marker pens and write on them as you take them off the spindle and you should be OK though.

7. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am actually waiting for SVP to get back to me about this very stack, I've had 15 fails so far. After much messing about and adjustment my recorder seems to be fine, in fact it ran through SVPs sample pack and accepted all except the Ridisc so it looks like I've landed a dud pack.

Happy to keep you posted on SVPs response if you want to hang fire til they get back to me, aside from the problem I'm having I rang around a few online disc seller and the concensus was that TYG02 were the dogs and certainly shouldn't fail, quite a few posters on here agreed as you'll see from my thread earlier so I guess I'm just unlucky. :rolleyes:

Jazz

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    Yes, I would be very interested to know how you get on with that. In the meantime I'll carry on using the Verbatim Pastel ones.

9. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, i'll give them a whirl... Anyone tried the Data safe 10 packs using TY dye or the TDK GO2 ones yet, i was thinking of getting them for non important stuff. At 12p a disk and a decent ID they seem like a batgain!

10. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As requested I have an update on the Taiyo Yuden stack of 100 from SVP, sure enough they replaced my stack promptly and so far I am a quarter of the way through with no coasters at all.

However I should point out that only the first 4 were tested on my old machine, I have since upgraded to the Panny EH50 which is turning out to be a dream machine for archiving old VHS tapes.

If anyone else is looking for a decent purchase on discs I would highly recommend giving the unbranded Taiyo Yuden 100 stack serious consideration and if you do have problems have a think about your recorder as well as the discs.

One very happy Bunny :clap: :D :clap: