TagMclaren AV32R

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by titan, Feb 26, 2001.

1. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having almost decided to purchase the aforementioned processor i have only one reservation. its age. I understand that the av32r is designed to be fully upgradeable but there are logical limits to such things as was proved by the Meridian 565, although it was able to be upgraded to dd and dts it never progressed any further and was replaced by the 568. so my question is how far along its life cycle is the av32r? if i purchase one now are they going to relase a newer unit tommorrow, i wouldnt mind so much as long as they continue to support the av32r but i would expect five years at least from such a costly proccessor. i realise tagmclaren arent going to jepordise potential sales by forardly anouncing such a thing and that the future is hard to predict but does anyone have any idea?
    Also to any owners of the unit how have you found it to live with? how does its sound quality compare to other high brands? (meridian etc.) do you recomend partnering it with the matching 5 channel power amp or are there others more suitable? i've yet to hear it myself(see below.)
    On a related subject i would like to say how pleasent tagmclaren and its distributers are to be involved with. I live in australia and in my state there is no distributor for tagmclaren products but the Australian distributor is willing to send one Two thousand kilomoters for me to audition. now thats customer service, and an encouraging sign of things to come.
    My apologies for the long post but i need as much info as i can before such a costly upgrade. any comments would be appreciated.

Nathan

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One thing regarding the upgrade possibilities: As you mentioned there are limits, usually by hardware.
    If I am not mistaken the AVR32 is already in it's second generation (the new model comes with DD Ex and costs a whooping GBP2700 compared to GBP2000 before) though the old units can be upgraded, too.
    But I am more worried about the DACs which are limited to 24bit/96kHz but DVD-A can go up to 24bit/192kHz.
    Sure, there is no digital interface available for that yet and it's not even sure if titles will be released in the highest resolution (due to copyright issues) but it would possibly be good to have in the not-so-distant future.

One more thing: does the AVR32 have a 5.1 input which could also proof useful for current DVD-A and SACD (multichannel) players? I heard something about an external box required (which I guess won't be cheap either) ....

Soundwise the AVR32 is said to be excellent (I heard it only briefly during an exhibition), but I would be worried if it's flexible enough to cater for the future things to come.

How about Proceed? Have you considered those?
    Though some of the above might apply here, too.

3. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply reiner, i hadnt considered the situation of the dacs. This is a very valid point, i imagine a hardware upgrade would perhaps be possible as in the case of thx-ex but i'm sure this would be expensive as in the case of the thx-ex upgrade. i have recently read avout the addition comming that adds a firewire port but i'm not sure about the dac's. Anyone know for sure?
    As for the 5.1 input it doesnt have one but they should be able to add something to the software to cater for this (assuming the five channell audio is 24bit 96khz and sent down a standard digital interface on dvd-a my knowledge of this new format is limited)otherwise it could be a problem.
    as for proceed i confess i know very little about them and i'm not sure they are available in Australia. do they have a website so i can investigate? is the price range the same?
    Thanks again for the post and thanks Cyril for the e-mail.

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.tagmclaren.com/products/diagram.asp?prod=av32r

looks like it doesn't have 5.1 analogue inputs. It should be good for upgrades for a while, as it can handle DPL 2 with just a software upgrade. They were going to add a second processor if needed, so that is still that to come in the future if needed.

As I understand it, their stance on DVD-audio/SACD is that it is a joke to have a new, high quality format and send it over analogue, so they are waiting until there is a standard for a digital connection and then they will offer an upgrade. Probably best to ask them on their own bulletin board:
    http://www.tagmclaren.com/dev/introf.asp?highlight=2&page=forum/intro

Jim

5. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have said before, like Reiner, that the DACs are an issue along with the work they had to do on the back panel to accomodate the EX outputs.

I do not deny that this is one of the (if not the) best processors on the market but I decided not to go down that route using the following (slightly flawed) logic;

I bought a Denon AVC-A1D, if this model were to be replaced (which it was with the AVC-A1SE) the new model would not just involve new formats but any new advances in hardware and design (as the AVC-A1SE has proved). An update to an "upgradeable" unit will always be a compromise. So, I could get (from my friendly dealer) a £1250 part-ex against the full price of the new unit (£2500) leaving me £1250 to pay. I would have a brand new unit, designed for its purpose, with all the amplification on board and new DACs. No, perhaps the Denon would not sound as good as the TAG solution but I would feel that I was up to date (as it happens, I have no real justification for moving to the AVC-A1SE at the moment becaue my room can't accomodate the extra speakers for EX). The cost is a close call, it would probably have been a little cheaper to upgrade the TAG and buy a few extra channels of amplification.

You also have the question of how much upgrading can be done on an original unit before it suffers (board swaps, soldering etc.).

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If I remember rightly, from the TAG McLaren website, Udo Zucker (FANTASTIC name!!!), the CEO of TAG, said that the DVD player and the Amp were going to be superseded by the DVD192R and the AV192R. The DVD player will have prog scan. These are not wholly new components, they will just have hardware and software upgrades inside them, with the option to have the upgrade for any existing DVD32s or AV32s. Cost of the upgrade is approximately 33% of the original cost of the item. Not cheap really. I know this is true in the case of the DVD player, and I'm fairly confident about the processor.

See ya,

T

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Please look at my posting on the Tag web site when I raised exactly the same concerns. Search under my experiences in buying…It is long but I think it will answer most of your questions. I was reluctant to spend this much money on a short term product. I am not rich and do not earn a fortune. Now I have lived with Tag equipment for several months I know I have made the right decision. The Tag is in a different league to other processors. Yes I did listen to just about everything on the market. It’s design stretch is way beyond what is currently used. It has the ability to double both memory and processing power though the 40 mips needed for DVD A (about the most processor intensive operation) is easily achieved with one SHARC, let alone two.

The sound is in a different league to all but Meridian and Lexicon MC1. I did prefer the Tag however. With a DVD32R is takes a substantial lead ahead of Lexicon and Meridian and is only beaten on CD playback quality by Linn CD12 (£12K). The performance is awesome. Picture is the best I have seen by far.

The DVD192 is an upgrade to the DVD32R. It adds progressive scan and DVD Audio as well as a few other tricks tag are not currently speaking about publicly. The upgrade is a no cost penalty upgrade. It will communicate with the AV32R with a tag specific digital link (firewire) as DVD Audio people can not agree a standard other than SPDIF. There is no point doing it via analogue when digital is better. Meridian has a similar solution. A 5.1 micro connector will be added to the AV32R for non tag DVD players. I thought this was essential feature for future proofing a product but now I think it less than ideal solution and have changed my mind having seen Tags implementation. I do not miss it.

The quality of the DACs is excellent, particularly when sync linked for low jitter (135 psec for a dual box player is unheard of for a CD player, for a DVD player…AWESOME) In fact I think it the lowest recorded. Tag are currently testing a pin compatible 192kHz DAC for sound quality (upgradable?). When the AV32R was designed the 96khz unit was better sounding than the 192 options. This is being re-checked now, but do NOT assume a 192khz dac will sound better than a 96khz dac. Microphones struggle beyond 30khz and at 96khz we are well past the range of all the nasties (that occur with CD). What do you hope to get with 192khz dacs that a low jitter 96khz dac can’t do?. This is assuming the studios re equip with 192khz kit rather than faking it as they are currently doing. There is a lot more to all this than numbers. What about digital receivers, bandwidth limitations of connecting cables, jitter. Tag understand these things, very few others do. 96khz may well be the better solution for sound quality. I trust Tag on this as they are the BEST audio company I have dealt with re customer support. Just view the discussion area on the web site for a few weeks. You will get hooked. These people care and listen. When was the last time you emailed a company with a serious question at 8 in the evening and receive a message from the chief executive office (top man) personally within minutes? This is common with Tag.

Support from Tag is exceptional for the AV32R. Pro Logic 11 any day. DTS neo and discrete very soon. Digital radio module in the summer. (Hardware done, just waiting on software programmer to get their act together). HDCD due soon as well. For the record 7.1 is better than 5.1 even on 5.1 coded material. Don’t quite know why but it is demonstrably better all the time but you can upgrade at any time as well.

Did I add that all of the above will fully available to the purchaser on the first AV32R unit onwards. All upgradable. Will the Sony you bought yesterday be upgraded? I don’t think so but a two year-old Tag will. Demand for these units is high due to it’s exceptional performance. Mated with the 5-channel amp and DVD player, it is quite amazing package.

Want to save some money?, temp with a Rotel 5 channel amp, not in the same league as Tag but will get you going. The DVD32R is exceptional and well worth saving up for (see notes on HCC site re this player). No one has considered £4k expensive once the heard the player. Universal praise. Go and demo and you see what I mean.

Nathan buying Tag will be the best decision you will ever make. 2000 miles for a demo unit, would Sony or Denon do this for you? I wonder why? Tag know that when you hear the unit you will be convinced. They and all the Tag user know it is an exceptional piece of engineering. This is typical of the service around the globe.

Please do not get hung up on dac speeds, listen to the player and you will know it is the right decision. Tag have thought this through very carefully. When I quizzed all the main players on this only Tag came up with a consistent answer. There was a lot of bull **** flying around. As an engineer I am not easily fooled by mumbo jumbo.

Current formats are 6.1 max. I confidently expect 7.1 to be released this year. Guess what, the Tag is 7.1 already (like Lexicon and Meridian). The only limitation I can see is if formats go beyond 7.1 towards 10.2. Then and only then Tag will not be able to keep up. No current processor can. I am happy knowing this is the limitation of the Tag equipment and nothing else.

8. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa Nic you should work for Tag's pr department i'm convinced. actually i was pretty much convinced before, i just need to hear it now. but it lookes like i may have been a little premature in praising australia's Tag distributer as they have yet to get back to me on the demo. In any case i havent quite got the funds just yet anyway after just purchasing my Kef THX speaker package (felt like passing a kidney stone paying for that) but i'm getting very exited.
    As for the option you took mart.stokes the idea does have some merit but personally i am willing to sacrifice a lot for the ultimate home theater. as you mention yourself the logic is a little flawed but the main problem i see is that every time you upgrade your paying for new amplifcatrion that you dont need. Amps dont become redundent as quickly as proccessors.
    I am however determined to buy a proccessor that is upgradeble as my last proccessor cost $7500 four years ago and now doesnt even play DTS i swore then that i would never again buy another main steam system and the tag seems to have the best price to perfomance ratio of the upgradeable options. the best system i have ever personally heard was a custom installed linn system hooked up to a vidikron projecter. I've been dissapointed in my system ever since hearing that but i cant afford to spend more on my system than i am on my house. when you talk about those new uprgades Nic, is the price they are going to cost to upgrade the same as it is to buy the system whith them? i know this was the case with the EX option. as for the idea of using a cheaper amp well i will probably use the one i already have to begin with. its old type THX Ultra with six channells of output. While its not a full monoblock design(a must have for my next amp upgrade) it does have two large power transformes one for each three channels, it should do for the time bieng. lastly is the DVD player, anouther nessassary upgrade for me as i was early to adopt the format and got a fist generation machine (no DTS). While i have no doubt that the dvd player is worth every penny of 4000pounds the cost over here will most likely equate to 5000pounds due to shipping costs and because tag use third party dealers here. now it still may be worth that much but there is alimit to how much i can phisically afford to purhase and my girlfiend and i really want a projector and will be getting a loan for that, but maybe when thats paid off. After all it makes sense to link the two units together to take advantage of the ultra low jitter.
    Wow that turned out to be a long post, thanks for all the replies i'm now eager to hear and buy buy buy.

9. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic Rhodes, from what you have said above do you believe that the digital frequency has a direct relationship with the analogue sound frequency? (Microphones not taking much above 30Khz) because I do not believe this to be the case (but I am a betting man so I will bet ten quid AGAINST myself). I thought (for example) that 24 bit 192 Khz was the size of the "word" (therefore the level of definition at a certain moment) multiplied by the sampling frequency of that word (the number of "moments" in a second).

Am I wrong? If so, what is the answer? I need correcting on this!

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    According to the Nyquist theorem you can reconstruct exactly a signal of frequency F by sampling it at frequency 2*F.

So, to record sounds up to 30KHz you need to sample at 60KHz.

This seems counter-intuitive (like quantum mechanics until you've banged your head off a lecture-theatre desk enough) but it does seem to be an accurate model of reality.

See http://www.digital-recordings.com/publ/pubrec.html for more details.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

[This message has been edited by lmccauley (edited 28-02-2001).]

11. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a good document, the casual reader could be slightly confused by the fact that the writer moves from bits to bytes during his examples (got me for a second). Thanks!

Other than that, I presume Schrodinger's cat is now well and truly dead!

[This message has been edited by mart.stokes (edited 28-02-2001).]

12. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I admit that the TAG could kick cr*p out of a decent Denon my logic was that I would be getting rid of what could be "old" amplifiers in the AVC-A1D and MAYBE getting better amplifiers in the AVC-A1SE.

I certainly have no problem with people who want the ultimate home cinema, I just believe the statement needs to end with "today".

The original question wasn't so much a question about TAG's quality (no dispute there) but how upgradeable stuff can be. What I say is; go into this with your eyes open and if it is the best thing since sliced bread then buy it. A home cinema system will continue to evolve and this is part of the "hobby". Get in the loft and find back copies of HCC from, say, two years ago. Look at the featured systems, all old hat now aren't they?

I think what I was attempting to stress was; what is the difference between replacing a unit in your set-up and upgrading a unit if the costs are comparable? Don't worry about how upgradeable a TAG is.

13. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mind you, I think HCC should start to revisit a lot of the old featured systems. A sort of "where are they now?". I wonder how many are still running 3090 Yamahas etc.

14. Marky UK

Marky UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titan,

Have you considered the Lexicon MC-1 ?

The prices over here in England are about twice as much for an MC-1 as an AV32R, but here we can import an MC-1 from USA for a lot less than the retail price of the MC-1 here, which makes the MC-1 a good buy.

The MC-1, if sold later would therefore loose less money than the Tag AV32R, because you bought it for maybe 2000 less than retail, so should be able to sell at nearly the price you paid.

Maybe you could do the same?

Just a thought.

What is the retail price of an AV32R and an MC-1 in Australia?

Mark.

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I don’t want to sound like an advert for Tag (they can do all that themselves) or a justification for my purchase as is so often the case for many threads on these forums. I have gained much help from these forums and I with to contribute to discussions where I have knowledge or experience to contribute. I have no connection with Tag other than I am just one of the MANY happy customers.

It appears tag doesn’t need to advertise quite as much as they currently do. Word of mouth is a powerful sales tool and the one thing everyone agrees on is the Tag’s awesome sound quality. I will just give praise where praise is due. This does not occur very often!

My Tag equipment is also to be used with KEF THX speakers. They have been on order for 4.5 months now (frustration) but they seem to be a great combination. I look forward to their delivery. A recent posting on Tag web site was unanimous in its praise for these speakers. The first time I have ever seen this!

Re Dacs and 192khz. Ever wondered why they call the upgrade AV192R? No one has to be a Nuclear scientist to work this one out but Tag are saying nothing officially of course!!!

The Linn system is excellent. I was very tempted by the sound but in the end, Linn’s lack of interest in keeping this up to date pushed me away but if you after just DD / DTS / PL is one of the best (Tag better in my opinion but it is close). For such an old processor the Linn is stunning. If you are after PL2 Ex etc then no chance with the Linn. Works well in stereo though.

Tag seems to cost upgrades at the same cost as buying it out right. I think this is excellent policy. Re Ex upgrade about £450. Difference between 5.1 and ex model exactly the same. You can upgrade at any time and loose no money. It eases the pains of upgrading.

I am also in the middle of a Projector purchase at the moment so I can sympathise with your predicament. However the DVD is worth looking at despite the price, it will make a big difference. Trust me, if some one said I would spend £4k on a DVD player 6 months ago I would have laughed at them. Now I am a proud owner!

Despite being a proud Tag owner I (and probably Tag) don’t see the AV32R as the ultimate in home cinema. Wait for their F1 series for this. I wanted the best performance I could get for my money. I wanted this to last for along period of time and be upgradeable. The Tag achieves this with style. A close friend bought a Denon AVC 10SE? Just before I bought my Tag. He is very please with what it does. We are both fascinated with ProLogic 2 now, a major new surround sound format. I will upgrade in the next week or so. My friend has to come to see me as the Denon is stuck with PL 1. Upgradeable, the Tag has a proven track record. What about upgrades for the Denon, Yamaha, Sony etc…. ? PL2 will cost me £80. I think that is very reasonable.

I fully endorse the idea of re reviewing old systems. This has a lot of merit and many will be surprised quite how little things change re quality on the basics. A great system should still be a great system despite the revisionaries amongst the reviewing journalists. If you are after DTS or PL2, which were not available earlier, then this is another matter. I have been called an audiophile / videophile by many friends over the years. They find this amusing teasing me about always upgrading. When I pont out that I used the same CD player for 14 years (and still do in the study) and they buy a new player every 2/3 years they suddenly go very quiet. I wonder why? They realise that I have been smarter in the purchase of my more expensive but well researched gear than they have been with their mass of middle / mass market latest Best Buys.

Word size is important on digital system. 24 bit is better than 16. No one will argue with this but I would rather have a 16 bit 96khz system than a 24 bit 44khz all other things being equal. For me the difference between 96 khz and 192khz is minimal and this is merely a marketing numbers exercise. I believe the number of true 192 khz discs will be very small. But 5 .1 DVD Audio at 96 khz / 24 bit MLP I think will be a MAJOR new standard. Liam’s note on Nyquist theorem is smack on what I was hinting at. Half of 44khz is 22khz. This is close to audible frequencies. This can interact with audible frequencies to produce other audible frequencies that we can hear. To remove / prevent these nasty sounds steep filters are used and these sound terrible. I have a straight CD player that sounds better than anything else does (other than DAD 24 bit / 96 khz discs (Chesky etc) on the Tag). It achieves this by doing digital correctly. We get too hung up on specs and not enough on PERFORMANCE. We have had 24 bit / 96khz for almost three years now. How many of us actually have discs?

16. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didnt meen to imply that anything utoward was going on ther nic i was simply taken by your enthuiziasm (that cant be spelt right. After your last post i took your advice and went to the tag fourum and read about two years worth of posts, i have yet to find one single complaint about anything to do with the Av32r or the service provided by tag that has to be a great endorment. i was also suprised at the regularity of the responses by the ceo Dr udo, i was very impressed. the general consensus seemes to be that the Av32r provides a level of perfomance above its price point.excelent.

As for the purchace of the KEF speaker package I can honestly say it will be worth the wait though i am suprised that you have to wait i got mine strait away and i live in Australia. Why the wait when Kef is an English company? In any case i'm glad to hear that you and a lot of the fourum members at tag think its a good match as i bought it to go with my other amp and was a little woriied at how it would match the Tag.

Yeah i figured out the "cryptic" hidden message in the prototype name. took me a while though. heh

I must say i'm supprised you consider the Tag a match for the linn. although i havent heard the tag yet i never considered it would sound that good! i'm even more eager to hear the tag now.

Upgradability is a must have for my nest purchase i do not wish to be stuch as i am again with an obsolete purchase.

I'm definitely going to get one of these dvd players but i have to spend the money where it will have most impact. if you know what i mean. hence a projecter first.

Having the very best isnt something i really see as a posibility for me despite the statement i made in my last post. the truth be told i'm getting the tag because,apart from its great build and sound quality (obvious prerequisites) its the cheapest "properly" upgradeable proccessor around. i am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination and in the end all i want is a system i am happy with. which is why i wont listen to any 100grand systems any more, unless i win lotto af course.

I am not convinced that any of the current high quality audio only formats are going to succeed and in any case i listen to music very rarely. the reason i was concerend about the dac's is in the slim chance a movie surround format becomes available requiring higher resolution dacs.

17. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic, I have one Chesky 24/96 and even through a lowly AVC-A1D I have to admit it is superb. I only have one problem with this disk, I'm no fan of the music on it!!!!! I listen to it because of the amazing quality. I can't wait until somebody releases something I like on 24/96!

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276

I agree totally. I have a few Chesky discs, only two I am very fond of. What if a main stream record label put out 24 bit / 96 khz audio only releases. Come on Sony / EMI give us what the customer wants. In fact it is possible to have video and 24 bit / 96 khz audio at the same time but three years down the line there are so few of these discs. What music DVDs there are, often have a compresses DD stereo rather than PCM 16 bit / 44khz.

I do think that we are being pushed into multichanel music by hardware manufacturers (who also happen to own the software houses). Why not do stereo really well with two channel 24 bit / 96 khz discs? I think we have missed a major oportunity here especially when they are compatible with every DVD player on the market.

19. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, how long is it going to be before somebody demands 5.1 DVD-Audio quality sound from a DVD-Video disk? Are we still being left in a "you can't please all of the people all of the time" situation? You can have the pictures or you can have the sound quality.

20. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my point exactly. it would seem to be the next step up 7.1 channel uncompressed audio in 24bit 96khz resolution with video. although its interesting to note that DTS has actually lowerd the bit rate fot DTS on dvd, to make it easier to put it on the same disk as dolby digital i presume. so they would need a higher density disk in order to fit such a large audio souce as well as high quality picturre and keep it backward compatible. HDDVD?

21. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, you are right (putting words in your mouth here) we are screwed! Whatever we buy today ain't going to be upgradable enough to keep us happy in the future.

22. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I do think that we are being pushed into multichanel music by hardware manufacturers (who also happen to own the software houses). Why not do stereo really well with two channel 24 bit / 96 khz discs? I think we have missed a major oportunity here especially when they are compatible with every DVD player on the market.

I would say you are spot on, besides, even the common CD could do (sorry: could sound) much better than what we are used to from mainstream pop/rock recordings.
    But why put some effort (admittedly more costly) when we can sell the crap for lot's of money, too?
    I am very afraid that once DVD-A is standard on DVD players a lot of DVD-A discs will be released, not containing a DVD-A mastering but just a copy of the up-sampled CD, specifically in the pop/rock department.

Britney Spears in 24bit/192kHz could be a dream though ... [​IMG]

23. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another copy of the Beatles' White Album then!

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Titan, No offence was taken, I just re-read my enthusiastic first post and wanted to put the record straight. The KEF speakers have been ordered in white not the usual video grey and this has caused a few problems but I do think 28 oct to now is too long. But I am a patient kind of guy and the dealership is helpful. I am just a little frustrated.

I was after the best processor I could afford for my money (it stretched to MC1 budget). In the end I was surprised that my favourite processor was a cheaper one. I was left with £3k in my budget. By living on porridge for a month or two it enabled me to push for a DVD32R as well. This was something that was not in the original plan. Come to think of it nether was a projector……

Back in sept 99 I did actually ordered a Technics A10 (?) player. As well as allowing DTS discs (which I wanted but didn’t have access to at the time) it had built in decoders to allow it to be used with the 5.1 input on a pro-loic processor box I used at the time. It had the double advantage of DVD Audio. When it was delayed I was not too worried as I thought that this extra year would allow the market to have loads of DVD Audio discs ready. What a joke that turned out to be. I re heard DVD Audio demos in London last september. I cancelled my order for the DVD Audio player and bought the Tag.

I am fearful that these two new super audio formats are still born. CD and DVD Video will be the standard for years to come. If one has a chance of success, it will be DVD Audio, not because of us guys but because of players being installed in computers. The one area where most people are not interested in sound quality.

It’s a funny old world.

In all of this, only Meridian, Lexicon and especially Tag came across as having serious upgradeable processors. (Not the usual Finish re badge option). This has been further enhanced since my purchase of the Tag equipment by the dripping of information on the Tag forum about their upgrades. We are now talking DVD Audio digital link, 5.1 input, more inputs (if I read between the lines), better bass management, a second SHARC processor do number crunching, DTS discrete, DTS Neo, HDCD. Pro Logic has already been delivered this week. This is just the AV32R.

I was please to read on an American site that the top SHARC equipped Denon (only) will have a pro logic 2 upgrade in sept / oct time. Perhaps there is hope for the big boys after all. Let’s hope this is also destined for the UK customers as well. This hasn’t been confirmed at the time. This processor concerned is the top £2.5k / $3.8k one.

Re: Britney Spears in 24bit/192kHz could be a dream though ... I would just settle for Britney Spears.

25. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviosly the white are not very much in demand then? I hope your keeping on there back as i find retailers & suppliers sometimes take there customers for granted. you have waited too long.

Good news! for me as i should get to demo the tag this saturday. unfortunately i'm looking at getting the sony 10ht which has a rather hefty price, which means the tag will have to wait a while, though knowing me when i hear it...

Have you got the prologic 2 upgrade yet? if so what is it like? is it worth the extra money considering most movies now days are in 5.1?

Nathan

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    My programming cable should come by the end of the week when I will upgrade the software on the AV32R and DVD32R. I will then upgrade to PL2, probable by next weekend all going well. I will report back my findings as I think others will also.

See if you can borrow the Tag for some time to have at home. I had mine for about two weeks before I actually bought it and found it very informative. All the stuff you don't find in a shop demo.