1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tagging WAVs > Encoding to MP3 - help!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DaveA, Jun 16, 2005.

1. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys- happy creative zen touch owner here (yes it's big and clunky, but sounds great, and i don't have to walk many places!), after being scared stupid by the Sony stories - the HD5 is nice, but that battery/charging cover feels way too flimsy,even for me! Zen was also only £159 from JLewis, who are ace for service.

Anyway:

I basically want to rip all my CDs to WAV first on my PC, to enable me to encode them into mp3/aac whatever in future (as player capacity/format/encoding improvements are made) without having to re-rip every cd individually each time.

BUT - although i can rip the WAVs no problem and get track info from the likes of MediaPlayer or Creative's software, the WAV itself has no track info tagged to it. So how do i get the tagged info onto the mp3 when i encode it????

It's driving me up the wall because i don't want to re-tag the tracks by hand!

Any ideas?

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iTunes looks up the cd on the cddb and tags all songs in the ripping process.

3. sunflowerhx

sunflowerhx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

WAV files do not store any tag info. Simply because they were never designed to. Anyway you must have a huge PC harddisk to store all your tracks in WAV format.

If I was you ripped your tracks in the highest quality VBR mp3 and then you can always convert them to another format later. Try EAC or AudioGrabber both done VBR using the LAME engine which you have to download separately.

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdrip.html
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You can encode to FLAC, then re-encode to MP3 or whatever later. You can even do both at the same time.

http://mareo.monkeydev.org/

5. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 200Gb drive to help! Looks like using FLAC or WMA Lossless to archive everything, then encode using Lame.

Thanks for the help, particularly links. Which do you reckon is best (from the links given) for doing bulk mp3 encoding using Lame and retaining tag info then?

Much appreciated - Dave :smashin:

6. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then - for those interested (probably no-one :D ) i settled on EAC for ripping the WAV securely (a fair few of my cds are scratched) and i wanted perfect perfect archives.

Used Mareo to run a post-rip wav compression to FLAC, and then encoding using LAME v3.96.1 in standard.

The compression and encoding happens in the background and although ripping takes around 10mins/CD with EAC i think it's worth it. Its made perfect copies of CDs that will literally refuse to play/skip badly in really good CD separates players. :clap:

Now to get a spare drive to ensure any failures don't result in my jumping out of window! Mate just lost his entire collection - not a happy bunny!

7. pilaar39

pilaar39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get AudioGrabber and after you install it, get the LAME DLL and put it in the same directory as the stored program.

Audiograbber will search the online CCDB for all the tag info and insert it for you when you rip to CD to mp3 files. The LAME DLL makes the program much more flexible, allowing you to save the mp3 files at different bit rates.

If you still have problems with the tag data, get the Mp3tag editor. This is a great little program that allows you to change the tag data in single or multiple files. You can quickly add or change the title, artist, album year, track genre and comments. You can also use scripts to enumerate a group of fields, for example, if you had an audio book, you can quickly rename all the titles to Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. It is one of the best tag editors.

If you download mp3 files from the net, and the tag data is missing, it can also parse the file name and break it up into artist, title, etc. (provided of course the file name has that format)

All this stuff is available on the net.. do a google search.

8. DaveA

DaveA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ta - but your about a day too late - i did that, then realised i wanted to do flac first, so now rip using EAC and mareo to mp3 and flac. :thumbsup: