1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG Upgrade to 5.1 inputs

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Matt F, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bl**dy Hell! Just checked out the cost of adding 5.1 analogue inputs to my 2 year old TAG AV32R: £644!

I know this upgrade also includes enhanced tape feature and 192kHz/24 bit DACs but, Jesus, that's a bit steep - I could buy a Paradigm Servo 15 for that money and still have enough dosh left over to take the wife out for a top meal to apologise for buying a Paradigm Servo 15!

Methinks DVD-A and SACD will have to wait - perhaps until a digital transfer standard has been developed.

:rolleyes:

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am with you regarding the 5.1 analog inputs, but I want the 192 DACs... I will wait for the new SHARCS to do the update though... Don´t want my AV travelling too much... ;)

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right now I'm really annoyed. It costs £644 to add 5.1 analogue inputs to my AV32R plus another £60 if I want PLII at the same time. So, £704 - a little steep I'd say.

As if that wasn't bad enough, TAG have just released a new processor - the AV30R and it comes with all those goodies as standard, sounds "almost" as good as the AV32R and yet costs only £1799 brand new.

I guess I could always sell my AV32R and replace it with an AV30R but who's going to want to buy a second hand base spec AV32R when they can get a new AV30R with all the bells and whistles thrown in?

The bottom line is - the release of the AV30R is going to hit the 2nd hand value of AV32Rs hard. Thanks a lot TAG!

Matt.

p.s. Before people jump to TAGs defence, I will say that they make wonderful products and the upgrade path is excellent - it just jars a bit when existing owners have to pay through the nose for things like 5.1 analogue inputs (that really should have been included from outset) whilst new customers can come along and pick up a new processor that is almost as good, costs a lot less and yet comes with many of those costly upgrades as standard.

4. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Matt

I was under the impression that by the time you had added T2L, 7.1, a learning remote, action swtiches etc etc etc to an AV30, the difference in price to an AV32r is very small.

£430 I believe.

There is also no THX and far fewer inputs. And it doesn't sound as good as an AV32r.

There is no upgrade path for an AV30 to AV192 either, so no buy- back scheme which actually helps the second hand value of an AV32r.

Why would you want an AV30 instead ?

Regards.

5. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry but I have to disagree, Tag offer an excellent upgrade path, the cost is reflected in the development as well as the hardware costs. At least you have the choice - buy elsewhere and you'd have to replace your whole processor.

As for 5.1 bypass being included from new, it is now - the AV32R just got rather more expensive and for many people that upgrade's a complete waste!

The problem is 5.1 bypass, it's totally ill concieved. Why is nobody complaining about having to spend £500 on the cables to connect it up?

Watch me not waste my money at least until a digital medium is agreed.

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Just goes to show that some people can never be pleased.
    You buy a piece of hardware that can still be upgraded to the current model and still you moan about having to pay for it.

If you don't like the idea of all the upgrade paths available to you with the av32r then sell it to someone who would love to own one (of which there's been a few on these forums) and go and buy the new av30r. Then you'll be back next year moaning about the fact you can't add all the new bit's to your new av30r.

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right alanrob,
    but read the answer he's got from Udo today in TAG forum (Matt posted same message here and there), and it will be all clear!
    Some people always try to find bad aspect in every good thing!!!
    AV30R is great piece of AV if you do not want it all, but is there anyone like that outthere. I'd say no! So in my opinion AV30R is only for the people who can not put budget for AV32R together. And no one should complain without background!
    cheers

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry - I'm confused - didn't you guys read my p.s. where I said "I will say that they (TAG) make wonderful products and the upgrade path is excellent"??

So, just to make it crystal clear - I'm not criticising the AV32R which is an outstanding product, I'm not criticising the excellent upgrade path that TAG offer. Adding PLII (I appreciate that's only a software upgrade) costs £80 which is perfectly acceptable to me. My main, and original, point of contention is that £644 for adding a 5.1 analogue bypass seems very expensive.

To give an example, I quite fancy a Toshiba SD910e (especially as leconcepts are doing it at a ridiculously cheap £699) but in order to take advantage of DVD-A I'd have to spend nearly as much again getting 5.1 inputs added to my TAG!

I guess the best bet is to hold fire on DVD-A and SACD to see what becomes of the formats and to see what digital transfer methods (for DVD-A) are developed by the likes of Tag and Arcam (and see whether they are compatible across manufacturers i.e. Arcam FMJ DVD player with TAG Av32R).

Matt.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is exactly what I will do... Plus wait for the availability of the new dual Sharcs update for the AV32R...

10. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have been demo'ing an AV30R Beta Version from TAG at home for the last few weeks with a 100 x 5R amp. Let me tell you there is NO difference in the processing qualities between the AV30R and the AV32R. Apart from 7.1, DTS Cinema and a couple of other things they are identical in output quality. Yes it will retail for £1800, but I think anyone who owns an AV32R and says that the AV30R is a "budget" model is only reflecting a "snob" value opinion.

11. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Don't think there would be any difference in them just now, but once the new chips etc.. are released for the Av32r (to take it to an Av192r) then the difference will be heard.

I've nothing against anyone wanting to own a piece of quality kit that the Av30r is (being as it's a Tag :) ) but it is as you said a budget model that has very limited upgradeability. It perfect for anyone who just wants the current processor and isn't concerned about the future.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The AV30 processor is a great processor, a bargain at it's price but it it isn't an AV32R. This is the audibly better processor as well as having the upgrade potential.

13. Peter

Peter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't agree that the upgrade's expensive, and yes you can buy any amount of low quality gear for less money. If you want upgradability and quality, then it WILL cost you more than disposable mass-produced stuff. I will certainly want to add the new DACs to my AV32R, but don't want the 5.1 bypass.

I think the real question should be whether you really want the SACD / DVD-A capability or not. There are precious few discs around in those formats; HMV in Hong Kong have withdrawn discs in these formats due to lack of demand.

I'd spend the money elsewhere, mate, or just get the new DACs for 300 quid: I really don't believe it's worth investing in SACD or DVD-A right now.