1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG Sync compatible with Word Clock? (RME)

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mailaht, Sep 29, 2004.

1. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if the 'Sync' input ("TAGtronic Synchronisation Link T2L")on the AV32R-DP is compatible to the standard word clock system?

I am wondering if there is a way to use RME’s word clock module (http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/wcm.htm) in my HCPC to sync my RME Digi96/8 PST audio card with the AV32R-DP.
    Would it work with a simple BNC to RCA cable?

John? Graham? Steve?

Cheers,
    Torsten

2. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, the "sync" connection carried a DC error signal from the fixed clock in the AV to the source component (CDT20R, DVD32R/FLR), so it is not compatible with any other system.

Sorry!

3. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Interesting, as I've been pondering this for a couple of weeks now on how to get an AV192R to sync upto a HTPC, it isn't impossible but will take a bit of hard thought working out how TAG do it in the first place (voltages and the effect on sample rates etc....) and will almost certianly required a bit of butchering to the PC soundcard....I also have RME dig 24/96 PAD inc. word clock modules coming out of my ears as we use loads for our playout system.....I have the feeling that they might be a bit complicated to start with so maybe a soundblaster for practice..... It will be quite involved building up a smalll PCB to nail into the relevent bits on the soundcard, not even sure it will be worth it but as I don't know what the result might be I'll take it as a challenge for now....

BTW, I wouldn't expect anyone else to attempt this without having 40-50 bright broadcast engineers sitting next to you that also love a challenge......

4. canavan

canavan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's sadly not compatible with wordclock, AES11 or any other 'standard' synchronization method. I whish it were, or someone would build a universal adapter box. The sync link is an analog voltage that controls the vcxo in the source. I suspect that there's also some kind of 'handshake'. One of the documents that were available on the old tag mclaren website had a derscription of how it worked in the CDT20t2l

5. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So true. Anyone to build such a box ?

Emmanuel

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi all.
    I'm still pondering this one, a universal bodge box I doubt will be practical but butchering a bog standard soundblaster is on the cards.... I'll attack a decent soundcard once I've got the basics right...... You need to find a soundcard with an external crystal as I wouldn't have the first clue how to frig a circuit onto a "one chip does all" type of thing and provide a reasonably involved (for my brain anyway) circuit to wiggle the voltage up and down via the AV sync link so the AV192R clock and the PC clock stay in sync. The more adventurious will feed some volts into the sync input on the DVD32R and measure the sample rate coming off the digi output as the voltage rises and falls and get a feel for what needs to be done..... I cannot suggest that anyone actually try this though for obvious reasons as breaking the DVD in this manner won't get much sympathy form the guys at IAG service..... I also don't know at this stage if the AV would still allow a sync (i.e. the VFD says it is happy) provided it sees another crystal at the other end.