1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG speaker cable

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by laalves, Apr 22, 2005.

1. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

Risking to start a cable discussion all over again, what are the forum members opinions on TAG speaker cable?

I'm looking into real benefits of replacing my QED Silver Anniversary cables to run from my 250x3R to my Calliopes with the F3-10-SPK cable.

Would it be worth it (£354.95 GBP, 3m pair with spades, directly from IAG), according to your experiences?

The attractiveness is to have a cable that is supposedly matched (whatever this means, maybe snakeoil stuff????) to my TAG gear. The downside is that I have no chance of testing it before taking the €plunge€.

Luis

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    At that price,it obviously isn't cheap stuff,and throws itself into direct competition with brands such as Nordost and Kimber....I'm not sure I'd bother with it myself,but then I have my own favourites as mentioned above.

You have a selection of very nice gear there,and it's certainly worth experimenting with decent cables to get the best results,but as you live in Portugal,i'm not able to give you any advice on friendly retailers to try for demo's.

3. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Careful now guys, we risk the smoke and mirror stuff here, let alone the snake oil :D

I haven't used the F3 speaker cables, but I do like the F3 anologue leads and managed to get a load secondhand. For speaker cables, I used to have QED Genesis and whilst it looked fabulous, it didn't offer much over my Chord Rumour at a third of the price frankly so I eventually got nagged into getting rid of it all.

Once you get into the realms of exotic stuff, you really want to hear it and make your own mind up. I don't subscribe too much to the mysitcal cable debate, I just know that once you stray over a sensible threshold, the law of diminishing returns applies (you get less increase in performance / quality for the increase in cost). :lesson:

Don't buy it if you cant try it is one of my motos when it comes to this kind of cost. :D

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Much my own feelings on this subject,given the very subjective nature of sound quality in general,and certainly that of cables.

I usually either buy from companies I have prior experience of,or loan before buying.

5. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Udo, Steve, etc., any thoughts?

Luis

6. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't take the bait guys....

Listen to the cables first, then part with your money :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I know people who thought I was mad for paying the high price but I wouldn't use anything else but the TAG F3-10-SPK between my 250MRs and the Dynaudio's I have. I tried some super expensive Nordo$t and it was WAY too bright with too forward presentation for me, the much more reasonably price (in comparison) Chord ones sound quite similar but less forward for a lot le$$, the big QED was nicer but the TAG F3 just fitted in so well - it suited me more. I paid the money and have been enjoying for the last 3 years :D

8. asha_bristol

asha_bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am suprised that SPEN69 couldn't find much difference between Chord Rumour and QED Genesis. I have just changed my speaker cable from Chord Odyssey to QED X-Tube 400 and was amazed how much better the X-Tube is. Once the X-Tube had ran in I did an a-b comparison (just to check I wasn't imagining improvements that weren't really there) between it and the Odyssey. All that did was was just reiterated how vastly superior the QED cable is. If anything, the Genesis should be even better than the X-Tube 400? I know for a fact that the Chord Rumour is inferior to the Odyssey becuase I listened to them both a few years back before deciding to pay the extra for the Odyssey. Swings and roundabouts I suppose...

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not only swings and roundabouts but also the interactions between even one amp and different cables.....given that inductance and capacitance can vary quite widely between 2 different cable constructions,it's quite reasonable to expect different results,especially if the amp is affected by either(or both).

The end result is that you have to try different combinations until you get the one that suits your own ears and system best...the most expensive is not always that best....I settled on amixture of Kimber and Nordost cables and interconnects,but only because it suited what I wanted from the system in terms of balance overall....I've tried most of the others along the way,and can easily understand that Tag cables should work well with an all Tag system,which mine is not,being a mixture of Tag,Krell and B&W.