1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAG RS232 commands

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Emmanuel, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the pdf file which was available on the old TAG's website and which gives the description of the RS232 commands understood by TAG equipment. I'm also looking for the complete instructions needed to configure the HyperTerminal windows software used to send the commands to the AV32Rdp. I asked the helpdesk and they are looking for these documents but I can't wait :) . Thank you in advance.

Bests,

Emmanuel

2. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Emmanuel, I have emailed you the necessary files.

3. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Udo,

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Emmanuel

4. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. I configured HyperTerminal, tried various RC5 commands and the AV32Rdp seems to understand correctly, BUT after each sending, it sends back strings of corrupted characters (about 30) on HyperTerminal screen and I clearly hear "clicks" in the center channel speaker. For example, if I use the RC5 command to turn the proc into standby, the AV32Rdp goes into standby mode but it sends back almost 2 lines of bizarre characters and I hear several "clicks" in the center speaker (at least, it was the nearest during my tests). I don't think it's normal. Can someone please explain the possible cause of the problems ?

Emmanuel

PS : I'm using 4.09.31 (or something like that) software version.

5. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Emmanuel, please remember that the AV32R DP's RS232 capability sits on top of the TAGtronic Bus, i.e. the TAGtronic messages are superimposed (or better the RS232 commands are superimposed on the TAGtronic Bus). Hyperterminal will not understand these messages and hence you see garbage.

It is not uncommon that connection a PCs RS232 link creates interference (mostly caused by ground offsets), this is what you hear. If you carefully listen (and use long TAGtronic cables) you can also hear TAGtronic messages. This isn’t a problem as that happens when a status is changed, e.g. the change of the input or sound format - in other words there is in most cases “acoustical noise” anyway.

6. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Udo. Now I'll try to find a way to design HTML pages with buttons which will allow me to send commands to the serial port. I don't know if Java applets are allowed to control the serial port (security issue). Will do some Google searches... Anyway, thanks again.

Emmanuel

7. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can find some useful info on this site regarding Java Comms

http://www.rxtx.org/

I have been planning to so similr thing as I want to get away from IR remotes all together in the house.

BTW, can you tell me how do you plug the TAG programming cable. I have output of AV32r into input of 100x5r. That leaves me with an input on av32r and an output on 100x5r where I can plug programming cable. Is that right way ?

regards
    Darko

8. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the link. I'll check that.

As regards the connection you describe, I'm sorry I can't help as I don't have a 100x5R connected to the AV32R so I use direct connection between the PC and the AV proc.

Emmanuel

9. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Darko, the way I would connect is as follows: black connector of the TAGtronic Programming cable into the OUTput of the AV32R DP, then the TAGtronic cable from AV32R DP's INput to the 100x5R's OUTput. All important, do not connect the red connector of the TAGtronic Programming Cable.

10. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Dr. Udo.

Although I do wish I've got a DP, unfortunately the upgrade will have to wait for a while :(

11. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only the DP and the AV192R understand simple RS232 commands, but it's possible to control any Tag component from the PC by using the TagTronic cable and following the documents from Tag on their Tag Comm Bus protocol. It's a lot more involved than the RS232 control implemented in the AV32R-DP or AV192R though and needs some programming knowledge.

12. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I'm not lacking programming experience or knowledge. It's time that is missing.

Now, the question arises, whether I can use TagTronic programming cable (as far as I understand it has microprocessor convertor rs232<->rs485 in that black box), or I need specific rs485 interface card.

Also, in order to control a specific device (ie av32), do I need to issue TCB_RC5_CODE or TCB_RC5 message with code_type and data ?

thanks
    Darko

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    Although we haven't had an SP for a while I do remember that the TAGTronic programming cable is used (black cable only!), just shove the RS232 connector in your serial port and program away. I not only lacked time but the will do this the hard way, the DP/192 made it much easier for muppets like me :D I do rememebr Steve Harris writing a great little repeat screen for the SP a while before he got the TAG job and I still have it somewhere, I know several of the then current TMA staff also asked for it, maybe it got him the job ;)

14. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    <off toppic>

darko , how do you translate babaroga into english :)

15. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using the TagTronic cable into the RS232 port works fine, just connect the black connector to the a Tag bus port. The messages will be relayed over the bus so you for example you can control your DVD32R even though the connector is attached to the AV32R.
    I haven't got the docs in front of me, but ISTR you use the TCB_RC5_CODE message, TCB_RC5 is used when sending a series of commands in one block - the AV32R sends out these sometimes.
    I have some Java source for communicating with the Tag bus, it's able to send messages ok but can get confused when reading messages (some strange timing thing that appeared when I upgraded my computer...).

16. Baracuda

Baracuda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please post this PDF to the forum??

Regards

SB

17. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As we talked about several different files, I hope you'll find what you want in this one...

Attached Files:

18. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... or in this one.

Bests,

Emmanuel

Attached Files:

19. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Errr, as far as I understand, there is no direct translation of babaroga. It literally means granny with horns. Babaroga is one of characters of old Slavic mithology. Equivalent in english would be something like boogieman, as her name is used to scare little kids.

regards

20. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CSkates,

Would yoube able to mail me part of your code in java so I can have a look at what have you been doing already and not invent hot water again ?

Is this OK by you ?

regards
    Darko

21. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    GrahamMG,

Do you still have that utility by Steve Harris? I wouldn't mind having a peek into it.

regards
    Darko